SamyGO Firmware Patching System

General Forum for talking area for B series TVs.

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

SamyGO Firmware Patching System

Post by erdem_ua »

I wanted to talk about patches and patch system.
Until now, we can handle situation with some hex edits in python scripts with hand.
But things goes complicated.

With exeDSP code injections, we needed to create hexdiff patches with Python script.
Python script could detect firmware version and apply patches to image.

But this doesn't solve all problems. We needed to inject some kernel modules to image too like unlocked wifi modules.

How could we include this modules to firmware patch? If there isn't a automated patching system, than our patches used by limited number of people.
Automation make life easier for users.

Please share your opinions.
newagehun
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: SamyGO Firmware Patching System

Post by newagehun »

I'm doing firmware modifications now since 4-5 years. My experience tells that developing (semi)automated tools takes a very long time and now always works and you have to give a lot of support.
The firmwares however are after a while not updated by the companies so sharing modified firmwares make everybody's life easier.

Yes I know it raises license issues. But companies doesn't care as long as you don't decrease their incomings with your modifications. And think about what we do: improve samsung firmwares so more people will use it. Also we give samsung ideas what to improve and believe me they will watch this site (if not already watching).

So I suggest not to spend lot of time with developing all kinds of patches. Patches are complicated for average user. An average user needs a firmware update and a step-by-step instructions how to update.

NA
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

Yes, but we cannot be sure about it what Samsung behaviour.
Might we already disturbing their nerves like WiFi enabling for other brands USB Dongle.( Which potentially reduce their profit )
And again it's not limited with Samsung too. When we inject code which enables DTS support, this became problem for DTS patent holders too. ( Than they angry to us too!)
List could became longer.
Also sourceforge could get angry for distribution of licensed code.

At the other hand, HexDiff is better approach. It doesn't hurts any one patent and we/project will be safe.
arris69
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by arris69 »

hi,

i am working on the scripts of the samygo "framework"
but i had also do to some analyse of the firmware update process
(what we can inject from run.sh script, what is mounted during update process etc.)
if you take a deeper look into SamyGO-UPNP-Extension you will see some
sysvstyle init engine, if i get all complete it should be easy to add modules (full distribution) and software to the tv once the extension is installed.

arris
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

samb650 wrote: Yes, we can't be sure, but....

As we bought the TV we did buy the operating sw on it (reverse engineering can be a question, but until you are not making any money out of it it shall not be an issue).

About DTS and other codec: TV uses libavcodec http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libavcodec http://ffmpeg.org/
which is free/open-source
About reverse engineering; we only study stuff. And samsung didn't tell us anything on it. So we can. But distribution is problematic because its copyrighted material on firmware image.( Copyright doesn't cover reverse engineering. :D )

We bought it TV but are we bought it's software? Or samsung let us use that software? This point is unclear. If software is our, than we can copy and sell this firmware, because we bought its all rights. Right?

Again, about DTS and MPEG codecs, even SuSE cannot include them (MP3 too) to it's OpenSUSE distribution. Both of them (OS and libs) are open source and free, no one make money from them. But they couldn't put them inside release. Instead, the placed "pull" code, that downloads driver libs from internet.

So why Samsung doesn't include it? Samsung could make %100 open source and free firmware, but again in this scenario, they needed to pay license fee if they place DTS in the TV.

Thats means you cannot distribute Firmware which includes DTS but you can make patches for firmware... Its same think and it might became weird/illogical to you, but laws working like that...
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

Spirits are restless.
Incoming Firmware kernel module injection with boot/root images soon.

Return to “[B] General”