Convert a UE40C6530 PSU to work in the US (220v -> 110v)

This forum for information that related with C series hardware instead of firmware/software.

sobrinho

Convert a UE40C6530 PSU to work in the US (220v -> 110v)

Post by sobrinho »

I need to hack my European TV to work with a US power supply.
I could buy a step-up converter but I would rather convert the TV and benefit from the low power consumption.

Is this possible? Can I just buy a new PSU and replace it?
I majored in electronics and also have some lab equipment so in terms of labor and experience I should be OK.

I checked in the back of the TV and it says 240v so I'm guessing it's not dual voltage and I'm afraid to test it.
Can I damage it by plugging it to 110V? I'm guessing the opposite is more dangerous but you never know...

Any ideas/suggestion would be very appreciated! I live in the San Francisco, CA area.
Regards
Sobrinho
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Convert a UE40C6530 PSU to work in the US (220v -> 110v)

Post by beatfreak »

you could check the part-no of your psu-board and look for other models where this psu is used also.
and if you look for us-psu-boards try to get some pictures of all the connectors first and compare them, or buy one you can get with free return and refund and check if the connectors fit, i'd assume 80% success probability...

connecting it to 110v is a bit of a risk, if your house is equipped with 3-phase, 1-neutral power you get 240v between two phases (while every single phase carries 120V against neutral), but its hard to say how the psu will react to 60Hz instead of 50Hz, btw. i just learned that the bigger part of japan runs at 50Hz while the other uses 60Hz, so most of the devices will be compatible to both
so, i'd say time for ballz ;) try to connect only your 240v psu to 2-phase, if it doesn't go up in smoke you could try to connect it again with tv-mb, if it turns into coal you need a 120v psu anyway XD
Last edited by beatfreak on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //
FYI: you can close your ssh session with SamyGO with

Code: Select all

~.
If you can't fix it using dvct tape, you are not using enough dvct tape.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

sobrinho wrote: I could buy a step-up converter but I would rather convert the TV and benefit from the low power consumption.
lower voltage doesn't mean lower power ;)

P = U * I
When U (voltage) get's lower I (current) get's higher ;) Power might (and in most cases is) the same ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by beatfreak »

sectroyer wrote: lower voltage doesn't mean lower power ;)
i'd rather think he was talking about efficiency of voltage converting

and don't forget its a switching psu (not one with a transformer), you cannot simply assume a specific Resistance for the calculations
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //
FYI: you can close your ssh session with SamyGO with

~.
If you can't fix it using dvct tape, you are not using enough dvct tape.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

beatfreak wrote:
sectroyer wrote: lower voltage doesn't mean lower power ;)
i'd rather think he was talking about efficiency of voltage converting

and don't forget its a switching psu (not one with a transformer), you cannot simply assume a specific Resistance for the calculations
Yeah but I put the info because I am afraid he assumed 2 times smaller voltage will give him 2 times smaller power consumption ;) If that was the case my calculations were much closer to the truth than his ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!

Return to “[C] Hardware”