Play RAR files without extract them on SMB/NFS (RAR2FS?)

This is general talk area for things that NOT RELATED WITH TV! Instead, about internal works like web site, forum, wiki, or talking, etc...

juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: Play RAR files without extract them on SMB/NFS (RARFS?)

Post by juusso »

as i remember, here was some fstab problem (same as for rarfs too). Will check today afternoon once again.
I think problem was because rar2fs forces to mount through fstab, but this isn`t allowed on TV.
Also it is possible to run rar2fs only from SamyGO Extensions environment, native Tv`s busybox doesn`t support mount -i option and here are missing some shared libraries too.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
hasse69

Post by hasse69 »

rar2fs does not limit mounts from /etc/fstab. Rather the opposite. Actually there was a ticket raised on this some time back addressing the problem that rar2fs could not easily be called from /etc/fstab.
Also, standard mount options does not affect rar2fs, it uses its own mount routines as provided by FUSE. Most common usage is to call rar2fs from a script. Such as

Code: Select all

rar2fs <source folder> <destination folder>
or

rar2fs <source RAR> <destination folder>
Eg. here is the mount command from my NAS (snippet from ps output) just to give you an idea...

13076 admin      2064 S   ./rar2fs --exclude=.lock --fake-iso --seek-length=2 -o allow_other <source> <target>
But I might have misunderstood you in what was actually the problem ;)
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

hey, thanks! Seems, i have to use right mount command. Just tried and got it properly mounted!

rar2fs#rar2fs on /dtv/usb/sda/Downloads/_3D/tt type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
Another problem - avi file is visible in MediaPlayer, but got error about not supported video.
After this error, file dissapear from file list. Also no mount directory neither file by self could be accessible via mediaplayer.
in shell mount shows file mounted, but the mountdir is broken.

Next question is - despite description of rar2fs, i was not able to mount iso or other image files. Only rar`s.

# rar2fs --exclude=.lock --fake-iso --seek-length=2 -o allow_other ./shrek.iso ./iso
rar2fs: invalid source and/or mount point
btw, required files attached (for arm (tested on B and D series TV, NAS)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

hasse69

Post by hasse69 »

Lets first check if it was properly mounted. There are issues with some fuse installations that might mess things up.
After the mount, can you do a 'ls -ld' on the mount point and post the output ?

From what I can tell your mount is done as user_id=0, that is root. Is it the root user that is accessing the folder from the MediaPlayer?

If you access the file manually from a shell, eg. using 'hexdump' does it work then?

And what version of rar2fs are you using ?
hasse69

Post by hasse69 »

juuso wrote: Next question is - despite description of rar2fs, i was not able to mount iso or other image files. Only rar`s.

# rar2fs --exclude=.lock --fake-iso --seek-length=2 -o allow_other ./shrek.iso ./iso
rar2fs: invalid source and/or mount point
Well, maybe the description is not clear on this point. But rar2fs can not mount individual .iso files.
You can either mount a .rar file that contains a .iso file or mount a folder that contains .rar files and .iso files (or any other file for that matter).
rar2fs does not provide interpretation of the .iso file format, that is the job of the media player.
Last edited by hasse69 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

I`m using latest version, i think 1.14.0.

ls -ld ./test
ls: ./test: Transport endpoint is not connected
(if i proper understad your question).

After media player gave error (file format not supported), file became inaccessible nor from shell neither from mediaplayer.
From my samba mounts on NAS i see just empty mount directory.

hasse69

Post by hasse69 »

Is ./test your target folder?
Can you provide the exact command you specified when mounting to ./test ?
The error means that rar2fs/FUSE was not able to mount anything to it or crashed in the middle of doing so :(
If you do 'mount' you will probably see that it is mounted.
Try to do umount -f on it. And try again, but first make sure there is no stale rar2fs processes running.

Also, try to use the -f switch to rar2fs. It will start it in the foreground and then you will see if it crashes or not.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

rar2fs --exclude=.lock --fake-iso --seek-length=2 -o allow_other ./shrek.rar ./test
Result: movie inside rar archive is visible, accessible over shell.

# /bin/mount | grep rar2fs
rar2fs#rar2fs on /dtv/usb/sda/Downloads/_3D/test type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
Now mountpoint is ok:

# ls -ld ./test
drwxrwxrwx    5 99       99           4096 Feb 14  2012 ./test

hasse69

Post by hasse69 »

Great. Ok some progress.
Now umount it and then try the -f switch I mentioned in last post and try it from the MediaPlayer.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

# umount ./test
# rar2fs --exclude=.lock --fake-iso --seek-length=2 -o allow_other ./shrek.rar ./test -f
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted
#
Aborted just after mediaplayer gave error. Mount directory dissapeared from mediaplayers list.

# ls -ld ./test
ls: ./test: Transport endpoint is not connected

Return to “General”