DTSplay Contest - SamyGO Summer of Code :)

This is general talk area for things that NOT RELATED WITH TV! Instead, about internal works like web site, forum, wiki, or talking, etc...

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

DTSplay Contest - SamyGO Summer of Code :)

Post by erdem_ua »

Since I have little busy with my school projects and other hackers doing their best, and newagehun (who is worked on DTS previously) is fade away from the project, there is no one working on DTS sound codec addition to B series TV's.
So I decided to open a contest for this and enabling to collect donation for prize...
This topic opened for defining contest rules.

1. This contest for knowing if it's possible to play movies that has compressed with DTS audio track format with it.
2. Any one could apply/join to this contest.
3. Hacker that needed to prove their work that enables playing movies that has audio track that compressed with DTS on TV.
4. All steps for hack must be defined detailed, for example which functions needed to hooked... etc.
5. There is need a flow chart that explains the hack.
6. Hack needed to enable to play movies properly that has compressed audio track with DTS codec via Optical Pass-thru and/or using TV's speakers.
7. Hack must be allow B650(that's my TV) or higher series.
8. Hacker could take advantage of all legal libraries, programs, codes and open sourced programs like libdca.
9. Hacker must use legal tools and codes, must not use closed sourced/proprietary codes on it's hack.
10. Hacker needed to open it's source code and submit with post at that forum etc....
11. First hacker that send post that explains and proves hack to forum counted as winner after our approval.
12.Contest winner will have xxx amount of money and also .....
13.Contest will end 31/12/2010 if no hacker that proves B series TV's could achieve this hack...

...Money amount will defined after enabling donation to project.
Edit: Current amount is $310 (before paypal fees.)
Edit2: I sum all donations and it makes $255, dont know where is $310 came from? (before paypal fees.)

Contest finished. Member SmartSmurf has show that videos with DTS codec could playable at B series. Thanks to all donors.
DTS program will released soon.
Notice: Hack is for just supporting TV speakers yet. And it's buggy on some DTS videos for now.
doodlecz
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Preparing to DTSplay Contest - SamyGO Summer of Code :)

Post by doodlecz »

Nice idea :)
However I'm not sure that any prize (except the fame ;)) wouldn't force participants into working on their own and not sharing thoughts, ideas, know-how or even little progress..
nostromo1983

Post by nostromo1983 »

Nice idea, i would be ok to give some money for this but a must have feature would be to be able to switch language in multi audio MKV ! Add this to your list, it's the most important thing after the DTS decoding
Samsung LE32B554 T-CH5DEUC 2006.0 with patched u-boot for usb boot with OpenEmbedded custom kernel with network supported and usb rootfs
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

I think we cannot want a "package of features" from a hacker but a feature at time. :)

I open this thread for anyone write their rules but people don't wanna suggest more rule or don't criticize current rules...
Might be they don't wanna DTS as much. :)

At the other hand, audio switching is not big pain for a coder. It's more easy than implementing DTS hack I think. Just hacker need just alter "stream number". Might be menu integration could be problematic but could handled in some ways... But contest must and only for DTS since the most wanted feature.
baco81

Post by baco81 »

erdem_ua wrote:Since I have little busy with my school projects and other hackers doing their best, and newagehun (who is worked on DTS previously) is fade away from the project, there is no one working on DTS sound codec addition to B series TV's.
So I decided to open a contest for this and enabling to collect donation for prize...
[...]
...Money amount will defined after enabling donation to project.

So what you think of it? What other rules could be that in your mind?
Please make some contribution.
I will be more than willing to donate some money if somebody manages to enable that feature for our TVs :mrgreen:
T-CHL7DEUC-2005.0-v0.24-GMT2-ArFIX2-ADFIX-fwver-ENGFIX
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

remics wrote:7. Hack must be allow B650(that's my TV) or higher series.

Why exclude all of the B550 owners ? I would also make a small donation for a solution that applies to my set too.
B550 exeDSP is also compatible to B550. But B550 has some space constraints. So If we have hack on B650, It easily back-ported to B550. Don't worry for that. :)

Return to “General”