Why does Samsung try to prevent you from rooting?

This is general talk area for things that NOT RELATED WITH TV! Instead, about internal works like web site, forum, wiki, or talking, etc...

flarn2006

Why does Samsung try to prevent you from rooting?

Post by flarn2006 »

I'm assuming that's the case, considering there's warnings not to update the firmware. Otherwise I'd think maybe it's just that they didn't think there was enough demand to make an official rooting method worth adding. If the firmware updates are simply to patch the exploits so they can't be used against the owner's wishes (malware, etc.) then I'd think they would have realized by now that there was demand.

Does anyone have any idea what reason they have for trying to prevent it?
mad_ady
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Why does Samsung try to prevent you from rooting?

Post by mad_ady »

Most likely contracts with content providers who demand you run a secure platform. Netflix doesn't want you to record Game of Thrones so that you can share it with your buddy pirate friends... Also, planned obsolecence - you need to buy a new tv for new features, even if they can run on the old tv just fine
H6400, firmware 2602.2 downgraded to 2130
Martyn444

Post by Martyn444 »

This means that every app has its own data isolated from every other app.this means that is more secure because there is one less security concern to deal with and because users have an app that lets them know when another app wants to use elevated permissions..
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

You can read old samsung docs on Wikileaks. They do NOT want you to root tv. Also they definitely do NOT want to make "official root" :P
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
aLive

Post by aLive »

hi, can anybody confirm that changing the "country/region" in the sub menu is NOT generally considered as a "rooted TV device" ??

With other words, is it advised to block all future updates exclusive for the above mentioned single manipulation?
(without having to fear another reset from startup/foreign region after updating ;)

Thanks ahead!

Return to “General”