Re: [App] Rooting E, F and H Bluray

Post by sectroyer »

Don't know how many time i have to repeat myself. Post results of:

Code: Select all

ping www.samsungotn.net
and:

ping samsungotn.net
without it thinking about about blocking is pointless...
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
JeppeTh
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by JeppeTh »

sectroyer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 am Yeah also noticed it. For now I think I will advise to disconnect device from the internet... And allow only specific communication...
Not sure I follow... You don't remember this post? Blocking those url's doesn't help any longer, at least not my blurays. They use other url's...
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

JeppeTh wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:29 pm
Not sure I follow... You don't remember this post? Blocking those url's doesn't help any longer, at least not my blurays. They use other url's...
Ehh yes that's why advise cutting ALL internet traffic but until I get results for my test I don't even know if you CAN block at all. Long story short some routers "PRETEND" they can block while do NOT :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
JeppeTh
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by JeppeTh »

Blocking

samsungcloudcdn.com/firmware
does it for me.

But as you say routers might block differently.
Just blocking "firmware" can also work.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

JeppeTh wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 pm Blocking

does it for me.

until you provide the result for:

ping samsungcloudcdn.com
You don't block anything, ANY https connection will bypass your "blocking" :)

P.S. for me it reports that samsungcloudcdn.com is NOT a vaild domain name :P
JeppeTh
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by JeppeTh »

sectroyer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 pm
JeppeTh wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 pm Blocking

does it for me.

until you provide the result for:

ping samsungcloudcdn.com
You don't block anything, ANY https connection will bypass your "blocking" :)

P.S. for me it reports that samsungcloudcdn.com is NOT a vaild domain name :P
I believe it actually was

otn.samsungcloudcdn.com
Which was redirected if I remember correctly, to where otn was replaced by cdn or similar. So I skipped the prefix in my url block.

Https I guess isn't possible to block. I only block port 80, 8080 and 443. So ping isn't blocked. On my router blocking a host completely doesn't seem to be possible. Only url-filter or ip-block exists. No block of hosts.

My device seems to use http, e.g. port 80, luckily. So at least at the moment block works. I.e. checking for update on device fails due to timeout. At least on H-series. F-series seems to simply report "no update" also at failure. The check at least takes longer time. But it doesn't really matter since F-series won't get any more updates. H-series might, so more important there.
Last edited by JeppeTh on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

JeppeTh wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:13 amOnly url-filter or ip-block exists. No block of hosts.
No dnsmasq? :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
JeppeTh
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by JeppeTh »

zoelechat wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:44 am
JeppeTh wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:13 amOnly url-filter or ip-block exists. No block of hosts.
No dnsmasq? :)
You mean a local DNS server where I can resolve the host name to some dummy destination or similar? Can't find anything like that either.

EDIT: Haven't checked ssh interface though, if there's something there. The router I'm using as an AP might be able to run dnsmasq if I "root" it. I had to do that to be able to run tcpdump. But not sure I'll keep it routed, nor am I sure it will remain after reboot. I had to reinstall tcp dump after each reboot at least...

Then also, I'm not sure if same domain is used for other things. I.e.I mainly use the smart hub to stream videos. So I don't want to block too much.

EDIT2:

Strange - now it seems blocking

samsungotn.net
also does the trick - at least when trying in browser on my PC.
Strange though - since I don't see that the domains point towards the same IP - nor do I see any re-direct. Or perhaps my tools are hiding the re-directs. At least blocking samsungotn.net didn't help at the time when last firmware version was released.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

JeppeTh wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:13 am Https I guess isn't possible to block. I only block port 80, 8080 and 443. So ping isn't blocked. On my router blocking a host completely doesn't seem to be possible. Only url-filter or ip-block exists. No block of hosts.

My device seems to use http, e.g. port 80, luckily. So at least at the moment block works. I.e. checking for update on device fails due to timeout. At least on H-series. F-series seems to simply report "no update" also at failure. The check at least takes longer time. But it doesn't really matter since F-series won't get any more updates. H-series might, so more important there.
Exactly so don't misinform people blocking is most important on J/K where ALSO checking update on device "fails due to timeout" and it was PROVEN that it doesn't mean a shit. Looks it blocks ONLY "normal" updates but from time to time tv will try "different methods" and to block those blocking by URL is useless. Does it also affect H, no idea...
JeppeTh
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by JeppeTh »

sectroyer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:53 pm update on device "fails due to timeout" and it was PROVEN that it doesn't mean a shit. Looks it blocks ONLY "normal" updates but from time to time tv will try "different methods"
And there's still no resolution to this?
Note that I kind of noticed the same thing on my H-series - I got timeout ("blocking" samsungotn.net) in manual update.
However last firmware version was installed anyhow. BUT - at this time also manual update was successful, block no longer worked.
So I'm not sure if it actually used some other url or trick etc. Perhaps it was some temp redirection or similar that made update work.

Tried some more on my F-series. Actually every 2nd time it says "timeout" - the other times it says "no update". But according to tcpdump it fails each time requesting the same URL.

Unfortunately for some strange reason tcpdump doesn't manage to capture my h-traffic, not from my Apps using basic HTTP either... Any ideas how this can be? https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=11548

I for sure understand your reasons for "not supporting latest version" - but it's very difficult to fulfill this requirement. Also a temp glitch in router during reboot or similar may accidentally cause an update.

EDIT:
So I realized why capture on H-series failed - when fixed that I at least managed to see that it automatically checked for new firmware. And this check was the same as the manual one - i.e. same URL.

Return to “BluRay Players”