I have a related question: it seems annoying that the "Auto" aspect ratio setting of TV doesn't fit the picture correctly.
I use it with the internal digital tuner, not external sources.
1. I select a 16:9 aspect TV channel, I must manually select 16:9 or Auto
2. I change the channel to a 4:3 channel, the picture is widen and looks bad (in 16:9) and I have to manually set aspect to 4:3.
3. I select 16:9 channel again, the picture is too narrow (in 4:3 aspect) and I must re-select 16:9 aspect, etc
HD channels are always displayed correctly, but standard definition channels (in 4:3 or 16:9) are not.
And I'm not talking about the horrible SD channels (4:3) that broadcast 16:9 films, and the picture must be zoomed to fit the active screen region. But even then, some channels display the subtitles below the active film surface, and zooming truncates the subtitles...Really messy.
So, why doesn't 'Auto' fit auto-detect the correct aspect ratio? Or am I missing something?
Is there a way to make a firmware patch so that:
1. 4:3 channels are displayed in 4:3 aspect
2. 16:9 channels are displayed in 16:9 ?