46D7000 cycling problem corrupted flash I think.. Help

This forum is for information related with D series hardware.

dssenceme

46D7000 cycling problem corrupted flash I think.. Help

Post by dssenceme »

okay so guys the story goes as follows. I bought a UN46D7000 , time ago.
History
1) Accidentally it had a sudden discharge on the hdmi ports as AC voltage went through some of the shielding of a device plugged into one of the ports. Conclusion Silicon image IC got completely blown HDMI ports functionality got lost. But Tv kept working with VGA and RGB composite , tuner as well.
Printed on Sticker mainboard part number BN94-05226H / MX10 46D7000LGX439A
Printed on Mainboard PCB says Code BN41-01622C, Model: BN41-01622.

2) I searched all over ebay for a replacement mainboard cause of the hdmi ports being blown to replace mainboard and found a mainboard from a damaged 46d7000 . I switched the boards but backlights went on clicked , and then off. As it didn't work I desoldered the damaged HDMI IC QFN which had lot's of pins. Tried to solder it with my solder station heat gun and flux but didn't get soldered fine. Conclusion TV kept working but without HDMI. VGA worked and RGB composite also.
Printed on sticker mainboard part number BN94-04355J / MX10 46D7000LFX439A
Printed on mainboard PCB says code: BN41-01622C, Mode: BN41-01622

3) Something Odd started happening.. after some time if electricity went off the tv clicked relay basically and after some seconds it turned on again.. this kept until it stabilized and kept working. Something to note is this tv I always kept it 24/7 on. I'm starting to think that as the eclectricity went off something might have happened internally to watchdog timer of the eMMC , my thoughts. Also I had this tv plugged directly to 220volts not 110v .

4) As this kept happening couple more times when electricity went off.. my tv started clickinga gain.. and turning off and on.. until it finally didn't turn on anymore. After this happened I started doing some research all over the net, first of all thought could be
1) Leaking electrolytic capacitors.But visual inspection said nothing. I even desoldered a couple to check ESR ratings and capacitance all were fine

2) I inspected the mainboard for cold solder joints.. I even redid some solder joints which seemed cold joints for me .. but no success.

3) Finally thought I could be the Power supply, conclusion I bought a replacement board but same thing kept happening now it just clicked on and off and kept cycling over and over.

4) Then I came onto samygo wiki and found about the eeprom reset. First of all I tried the SoC eeprom reset not micom. Tried several lines Mreset to SDA to SCL, SDA to SCL, SDA to GND , SCL to GND .. all did absolutely nothing.

5) Then I just started reading about micom being responsible of initializing some hardware parameters. So I found some pads on the back of the board for SDA SCL and GND. And magically when I bridged SDA and SCL backlight turned on.. and cycling stopped. It even showed some noise on screen. At least it was a step forward.

6) Forgot to tell you I even dissasembled entirely the panel , to check if the led strips were shorted or not . Led strips were fine. I unplugged the psu connector and bridged a5v with Pwm1 to pwm 4 each of these bridges turned on the led strips. So they were fine.
7) I thought and thought.. and said well maybe the IC I soldered the silicon image IC could be the responsible of doing some short.. so I desoldered it .. but nothing same thing. I was even not quite logical if tv was working with VGA and RGB composite with this IC badly soldered. but anyways I tried .

8) Then I started reading over and over more in depth into samygo forums. And came into the conclusion of some member talking about the TV intializing on different partitions. So I desoldered both eeproms Soc and micom to make some dumps. I even exchanged the eeproms of the replacement board I had with no success. Strange thing was that the replacement board I tried plugging it in again and cycles on and off on and off clicking.

9) after reading a bit about how this tv functions and initalizes. I read about changing a bit on a specific memory location on micom to make it boot an alternate partition . But it did nothing. This was way before I did the serial connection to my tv so I had no way of knowing which partition it was booting. Honestly I don't know what might be going on with the tv. But when you come to see the serial dump I got you are going to have more notion of what's going on.

The serial output I got with the VGA serial out connection was this

Code: Select all

[i][MMC_DMA_INTR] Error: Card Error Summary 
[MMC_INTR] Error: Response Timeout
[MMC_DMA_INTR] Error: Card Error Summary 
 ............. Over and over [/i]
Then when I bridged the micom eeprom SDA and SCL I don't know if this was the reason or not .. I had the following output

> P0063_102 onboot(Feb 22 2011-09:01:28)
[SELP] preset_lpj manual setting 1597440
[SDP EINTR] 30 External interrupt is registered 
[SDP EINTR] 31 External interrupt is registered 
[SDP INTR MERGER] 29 interrupt merger is registered 
================================================================================
 SAMSUNG Genoa-P Kernel
 Version : 1011_228 RELEASE
================================================================================
init started: VDLinux-BusyBox v1.14.3-VD Linux VDLinux.1.2.1.x (2011-01-18 10:51:51 KST)
starting pid 26, tty '/dev/ttyS2': '/etc/rc.local'
/etc/rc.local start!!!!
##### send signal from USER, SIG : 0, init(1)->???(26) sys_kill
starting pid 34, tty '/dev/ttyS2': '-/bin/sh'
/etc/profile start!! 
=====================================================================
  ROOTFS VERSION : "Genoa.P 1018 RELEASE" KERNEL MODULE VERSION : "1011_228"
=====================================================================
[sdp_mmch_isr] DTO Interrupt not caused!!!!
====================================================================
[SELP] fsr module load!!(1011_228 RELEASE preempt mod_unload ARMv7 )
[SELP] fsr_stl module load!!(1011_228 RELEASE preempt mod_unload ARMv7 )
[SELP] rfs_glue module load!!(1011_228 RELEASE preempt mod_unload ARMv7 )
[SELP] rfs_fat module load!!(1011_228 RELEASE preempt mod_unload ARMv7 )
mount mtd_rwarea
1st partition!!
mount mtd_exe
mount mtd_rocommon
[MMC_INTR] Error: Data read Timeout
[MMC_INTR] Error: Response Timeout[/i]
So I'm starting to think one of the nands got corrupted either the Sandisk one or the samsung one nand. There are a couple questions

A) Is there any way to regenerate data on either of these flash memories. Either by JTAG or some other way.? ( a friend of mine has a device called RIFF box used for resurrecting dead galaxy s4 cellphones and tablets) JTAG pinouts are readily available on the board but I don't have the knowledge of this.

B) I don't know how to enabled Debug mode and maybe upload the firmware again . TDM It's called right?. I think the output i'm seeing on vga serial it's just the console output of the tv initalizing but nothing else.

C) I read about firmwares having some specific keys and hashes for protection. My tv wasn't rooted so do I have any chances of regenerating this badly corrupted partition? if it's the case?

D) What's the differrence between the Rx and Tx pins from the welltrend chip and the console output I had? is that the same.

E) In case there's nothing left to resurrect the tv , can you help me out figure out the exact mainboard replacement I'm so tired of getting the wrong mainboard. which supposedly it's a direct replacement but doesn't work. Are replacement boards linked to specific eeprom data for the tv?

Finally I'm leaving you some dumps of the eeprom. What I can't seem to understand are a couple things the eeproms part number are
1) Soc eeprom ST 24512RP
2) micom eeprom ATMEL ATMLH130 below says 02C I couldn't find any datasheet from atmel specifying what's the size of this eeprom , but I found somewhere it was linked to a 512kb eeeprom AT24C512BN ATMLH130. So I dumped the eeprom with my USB TL866A programmer. Now the thing is I got a 64k file and with the content having the same pattern repeated at different memory locations I'm attaching the micom eeprom so you see what I mean . Something like this Why does the content repeat over and over in different memory locations did I dump the eeprom bad?

00000000 FF FF B0 77 01 FF 00 FF 41 00 02 00 FF 65 6E 67 FF FF FF FF ...w....A....eng....
00000014 01 C2 2B 07 6E FF 4D FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ..+.n.M.............
00000028 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
0000003C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000050 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000064 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000078 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
0000008C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000000A0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000000B4 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000000C8 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000000DC FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000000F0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF B0 77 ...................w
00000104 01 FF 00 FF 41 00 02 00 FF 65 6E 67 FF FF FF FF 01 C2 2B 07 ....A....eng......+.
00000118 6E FF 4D FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF n.M.................
0000012C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000140 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000154 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000168 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
0000017C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000190 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000001A4 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000001B8 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000001CC FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000001E0 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
000001F4 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF B0 77 01 FF 00 FF 41 00 .............w....A.
00000208 02 00 FF 65 6E 67 FF FF FF FF 01 C2 2B 07 6E FF 4D FF FF FF ...eng......+.n.M...
0000021C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000230 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000244 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
00000258 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ....................
0000026C FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF                               ..........

I'm attaching both eeproms . Do I have to hex edit the soc eeprom to enable tdm debug console ? Thanks to everyone !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hedak

Re: 46D7000 cycling problem corrupted flash I think.. Help

Post by hedak »

Hi dssenceme,

very well described!

First let me tell you that i'm no pro in this forum, but played a lot with my tv to get it back to live (mostly with the help if juuso - big THX once more) and did some firmware modifications. Also my tv is an C7700 which differs to d series. But i will try to help you anyway :)

The second output you posted seems to be the exlink output. As you can read there you were booting form 1st partition set. This is good to know because now we can modify you micom dump and see if forced toggle worked! Although juuso said that the second partition set will most probably wont work... My hope is TDM!
(The error messages itself don't tell me anything, sorry)

to A) no clue
to B) If you got your tv preventing from rebooting you could enter TDM via exlink (which you probably got working): http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Top_De ... M#D_series. IIRC on d series it's still possible to reflash partitions from there.
to C) If B) works you don't need to be root.
to D) AFAIK welltrend's UART is used to control the SoC. E.g. the welltrend chips sends a reboot message if tv is supposed to be restarted. Console output primarily is for diagnostic purposes. When my tv was bricked i already thought about setting a switch between welltrend and SoC to be able to suppress the reboot command whenever i want ;) But that was luckily not necessary and i'm not sure if that would have worked!
to E) no experience so far

Looking at your dumps:

The SoC eeprom dump looks as expected. Also the debug output (via exlink) is alread activated (byte @0x51D1 is 0x01) - that's why you receive the second output :)
The micom eeprom dump doesn't seem to match the second log you posted, is that possible? Showing both spoilers here will show you that B0 77 is used to boot from 2nd partition set.
I think the reason for repeated blocks in your micm eeprom is that you try to read too many bytes - it's just an overflow during addressing.

What i suggest you to do is:

1) Referring to this try to change the following byte in your SoC' eeprom dump and reflash to disable watchdog:
@0x51D1 change from 0x01 to 0x00

2) Dump your micom eeprom once more and resolder both SoC's and micom's eeprom:
Log and post the exlink output once more. I want to be sure that micom and dump match.

3) Try to enter TDM with doing what you diescribed in 5) (although this will most probably reset your micom's eeprom (again))
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Top_De ... M#D_series

4) Report the results ;)
Hopefully we can get something like this to work: http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Recove ... CI_only.29
dssenceme

Post by dssenceme »

hedak wrote:Hi dssenceme,

very well described!

First let me tell you that i'm no pro in this forum, but played a lot with my tv to get it back to live (mostly with the help if juuso - big THX once more) and did some firmware modifications. Also my tv is an C7700 which differs to d series. But i will try to help you anyway :)

The second output you posted seems to be the exlink output. As you can read there you were booting form 1st partition set. This is good to know because now we can modify you micom dump and see if forced toggle worked! Although juuso said that the second partition set will most probably wont work... My hope is TDM!
(The error messages itself don't tell me anything, sorry)

to A) no clue
to B) If you got your tv preventing from rebooting you could enter TDM via exlink (which you probably got working): http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Top_De ... M#D_series. IIRC on d series it's still possible to reflash partitions from there.
to C) If B) works you don't need to be root.
to D) AFAIK welltrend's UART is used to control the SoC. E.g. the welltrend chips sends a reboot message if tv is supposed to be restarted. Console output primarily is for diagnostic purposes. When my tv was bricked i already thought about setting a switch between welltrend and SoC to be able to suppress the reboot command whenever i want ;) But that was luckily not necessary and i'm not sure if that would have worked!
to E) no experience so far

Looking at your dumps:

The SoC eeprom dump looks as expected. Also the debug output (via exlink) is alread activated (byte @0x51D1 is 0x01) - that's why you receive the second output :)
The micom eeprom dump doesn't seem to match the second log you posted, is that possible? Showing both spoilers here will show you that B0 77 is used to boot from 2nd partition set.
I think the reason for repeated blocks in your micm eeprom is that you try to read too many bytes - it's just an overflow during addressing.

What i suggest you to do is:

1) Referring to this try to change the following byte in your SoC' eeprom dump and reflash to disable watchdog:
@0x51D1 change from 0x01 to 0x00

2) Dump your micom eeprom once more and resolder both SoC's and micom's eeprom:
Log and post the exlink outpucet on more. I want to be sure that micom and dump match.

3) Try to enter TDM with doing what you diescribed in 5) (although this will most probably reset your micom's eeprom (again))
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Top_De ... M#D_series

4) Report the results ;)
Hopefully we can get something like this to work: http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Recove ... CI_only.29

Hi thanks so much for your answer, I was going to ask you basically how to enable the debug bit on the eeprom but you say it's already enabled.
Now how do I get Top Debug Menu ? I'm only getting all the console output. On top debug menu you enter a code and here I can't do anything its only output.
THat's why you're telling me to disable watchdog? . Something else about the micom dump being repeated. I need to know which Eeprom part number to choose on my eeprom programmer and that's what I don't really know.. how can I know which part number it's for the micom eeprom? it says ATMLH130 and below 02C can you help me out ?

Listen I got this from a post from juuso

Extended Service Menu enabled 0xCADF: 00=not enabled, 0D=enabled
rs232: 0x51D0: 00=debug, 01=UART , 02=Logic
Watchdog: 0x51D1: 00=off, 01=on
FaNet: 0x51D7: 00=off, 01=on
OTN: 0x55E1: 00=off, 01=on
DimmType: 0x559A: 00=int, 01=ext, 02=err
LVDS Format: 0x559B: 00=PDP, 01=JEIDA, 02=VESA
AutoPower: 0x559C: 00=Always On, 01=Always Off, 02=LastPower
Language_Arabic: 0x3E29: 0D=EU, 0E=Turkey, 0C=US <and so on...>

isn't 0x51D0 rs232 debug enable ? , Shouldn't I have to change 0x51D1 ?

On my Soc Eeprom I have

0x51D0 01 So RS-232 is set to UART mode or I'm mistaken ? Should I switch this to 00 Debug ?
0x51D1 01 So watchdog is on , I have to switch this to 00
hedak

Post by hedak »

isn't 0x51D0 rs232 debug enable ? , Shouldn't I have to change 0x51D1 ?

On my Soc Eeprom I have

0x51D0 01 So RS-232 is set to UART mode or I'm mistaken ? Should I switch this to 00 Debug ?
0x51D1 01 So watchdog is on , I have to switch this to 00
Sorry, my fault! Of course you have to set 0x51D0 to 0x00
The reason for disabling the watchdog is just to be sure that your repair is not interrupted :) It has nothing to do with entering TDM or so.

BTW the reason why you can't enter anything seems to be the wrong RS232 bit ;)
fter changing this to 0x00 you should be able to enter TDM by typing '23331003' + return key blindly (after that you should get an output telling you that console input is enabled) and finally '20089999' + return key.

Referring to your micom eeprom type. Atmel often prints ordering/factory codes instead of the part name. That's the case at your eeprom too.

EDIT: I think that's your EEPROM (AT24C02C): http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8700.pdf (see abstract 11 for 8-lead SOIC)
Last edited by hedak on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
dssenceme

Post by dssenceme »

Cool thanks :) hedak. About the micom eeprom can you help me out find the exact eeprom part number. I think I'm getting that data repeatedly cause I've chosen a wrong size. I don't know what's the size it says ATMLH130 and below 02C. By the way If I enable debug and swtich watchdog off , then there's no need to switch/toggle the alternate partition to boot from on micom , or yes?
hedak

Post by hedak »

I updated my previous post. Toggling partitions may be necessary too, well see. Could you do the steps (1 to 4) i suggested you + changing the rs232 bit also? :)
Last edited by hedak on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

The debug you get from TV start is enabled in micom eeprom. I`m not sure are adresses of D7000 eeprom same as on D6500 i identified, but you lose nothing if you try to set 0x51D0 to 00 (debug) and switch watchdog off. IMO watchdog does nothing here, because you get reboot by kernel`s exeption -> authuld. How many seconds do you have from TV start and first log until TV goes to reboot?

Despite toggle command is available on D series, it cause wrong calculations of hashes. I mean toggle does root+kernel switch, but it doesn`t switch hash partitions kernel checks calculations from. Solving one brick reason we get in to another brick.

Don`t forget - on D series we have only one working partition for exeDSP (mtd_exe), no hidden second partition where we could switch to.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
hedak

Post by hedak »

Thanks for clarifying, juuso! So the only hope we have (i see) is to flash partitions from TDM.
BTW i think juuso meant to set '0x51D0 to 00 (debug)' ;)

That's really interesting:
How many seconds do you have from TV start and first log until TV goes to reboot?
sbav1
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sbav1 »

This:

mount mtd_rocommon
[MMC_INTR] Error: Data read Timeout
means that Genoa SoC eMMC I/F is not working properly. That, and only that. And no: it doesn't necessarily imply that eMMC Sandisk flash IC got "corrupted" in any way (yep, there is a - rather remote - possibility it actually got damaged/corrupted, but in that case you are probably out of luck anyway; "partition switching" might be worth a try, but chances of repairing your TV by that method are pretty slim, IMO). More likely, "power surge" was not a cause of this particular problem, but your unsuccessful attempt to [re]solder SIL* HDMI switch. This may be as well caused by:
1) some other, shorted and/or damaged circuit[s] drawing too much power from onboard DC/DC converters (A & B 5V/3.3V, B 2.5V. B 1.1V, ..) on boot-up (this one would be relatively easy to confirm - for a start, measure Sandisk eMMC IC VCC/VDD supply voltages and ensure they are valid and STABLE while TV is booting),
2) various (seemingly unrelated to eMMC flash) subsystems connected to main SoC being damaged/no longer behaving like expected, preventing Genoa IC IRQ/DMA from working properly.
JTAG pinouts are readily available on the board but I don't have the knowledge of this.
What are the pin labels, do they start with PLD_* ? In that case, it's probably JTAG interface to entirely different IC.. In any case, AFAIK so far there are no publicly known methods to utilize Samsung in-house designed SDP* ICs JTAG interfaces, so - even if it's the right JTAG header, it will be pretty much useless.
I don't know how to enabled Debug mode and maybe upload the firmware again . TDM It's called right?. I think the output i'm seeing on vga serial it's just the console output of the tv initalizing but nothing else.
Looks like you already got serial console output (on VGA port ?); if both TX & RX lines are connected properly, you should at least be able to unlock serial console input, without further messing with SoC/Micom EEPROMs contents, etc.
I'm not so sure you'll be able to enter TDM after unlocking serial console input, though (unless you see "Application is started.." line somewhere in your boot-up serial console output); before exeDSP is started (it's not clear whatever it is, or not, in your case), there would be no top debug menu. Anyway: I kinda doubt that unlocked serial console input (BTW: it will be still restricted to A-F 0-9 characters even after you unlock it) and/or top debug menu access may be all that helpful for resurrecting your TV..
In case there's nothing left to resurrect the tv , can you help me out figure out the exact mainboard replacement I'm so tired of getting the wrong mainboard. which supposedly it's a direct replacement but doesn't work.
There are some offers seemingly being an exact (Chilean D7000 variant) replacement, for 200-250 USD + shipping - not all that great deal IMO, considering that Samsung authorized service center in you country will probably ask (?) 250-350 USD for the brand new one. That mainboard you got so far on ebay was not working for you, but why was it not working is far from clear - exact replacement it was obviously not, but was it sold as "working" or simply "unchecked"?

Return to “[D] Hardware”