Smart Hub update details?

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: Smart Hub update details?

Post by juusso »

Until now here wasn't any user widget removed by SH update. But who knows how long.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
arris69
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by arris69 »

D5700Admin wrote:Has anyone taken the time to look into the details of the Samsung Smart Hub update process,
not just the update process, also widget install...
e.g. by sniffing the wire?
sniffing on a wire to analyse https traffic has same result as sniff on flowers, there are more effective methods known :ugeek:
Smart Hub updates itself without asking for confirmation and probably checks for updates on each invocation.
yes it do check for updates, it checks for new widgets too :shock: . it also submits a list to samsung what widgets are installed on the device.

Is there any potential risk involved for (removing) SamyGO?
life is always a risk :lol:. samsung make a lot of mistakes, but this mistake would be too big...
arris69

Post by arris69 »

D5700Admin wrote:
arris69 wrote:not just the update process, also widget install...
Does it contact a fixed FQDN/IP or does it go through a list of servers? Which host(s)?
yes it do check for updates, it checks for new widgets too :shock: . it also submits a list to samsung what widgets are installed on the device.
Including user widgets? Do you have an example of that list to see what's contained therein? Widget names, versions, ...?

Do you know how to control the SH update behaviour in any way?
we are here in brainstorming forum so let us make a bit brainstorming, don't expect a ready to use solution from me. makes no sense as long you can install user-widgets over develop-account.
the tv contacts different servers depends on model and widgetengine (yahoo or samsungapps). you can find the urls in exeDSP, grep in it for http, T-INFOLINK and Yahoo.
the list about installed widgets contains the (mostly) nummeric widgetid (no name or version) but just for normal-widgets, no user-widgets.
the updates are controlled by the server, tv ask the server what version of widget/widget-manager is the latest one and then it installs it (you can't control this except you replace the widget engine on the tv, so it ignores what the server told).

other theoretical way is that you make your own server implementation and tell your tv to use your server not the one from samsung. if you have knowlege about networking and web standards it shouldn't be so hard to do this.

so but as long you can use develop account for widgets makes for "normal user" no sense to mess around with such a stuff.
nobody

Post by nobody »

arris69 wrote:sniffing on a wire to analyse https traffic has same result as sniff on flowers, there are more effective methods known :ugeek:
That's totally wrong.

1) Sniffing https traffic is very easy.

2) SmartHUB is updated using HTTP and not HTTPS.

3) SmartHUB updates can be easily be disabled. (But for now there is no reason to).
Denny

Post by Denny »

nobody wrote:
3) SmartHUB updates can be easily be disabled. (But for now there is no reason to).
in my eye there you are wrong :) ,

just taking Control of Smarthub/Internet@TV from Samsung is one of big reason to do it , and this bring alredy all good issues for us and big trouble to Samsung.

i self dont like that someone control my "TV" or my "Device" remotly or automaticly like they do at the moment.
Denny - 데니 - 丹尼 (card2000)
UE55C8000 UE55D8000 UE32D6510 BD-C9600 3xDM8000
Reversing HW Demux Drivers and API from Samsung´s TV
arris69

Post by arris69 »

nobody wrote: 2) SmartHUB is updated using HTTP and not HTTPS.
That's totally wrong.

check your skiddie-tools again, maybe you will discover the authentification sequence too...
idbirch
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by idbirch »

I considered the same risk when I first installed SamyGo and did a simple check on my router to find out what addresses the SmartHub was connecting to. My router logged the following connections so I just set a block on them all (at domain level):

tvstoregw.pavv.co.kr/tvGateway/service/GB/en-GB/(code)/Genoa_Y
tv.samsungapps.com
infolink.pavv.co.kr/openapi/service/widget/gallery?lang=en-GB
ad.samsungadhub.com

I have to disable the filtering if I want to install something off the app store but seeing as the apps are all garbage, that's very rare indeed!
arris69

Post by arris69 »

idbirch wrote:I considered the same risk when I first installed SamyGo and did a simple check on my router to find out what addresses the SmartHub was connecting to. My router logged the following connections so I just set a block on them all (at domain level):

tvstoregw.pavv.co.kr/tvGateway/service/GB/en-GB/(code)/Genoa_Y
tv.samsungapps.com
infolink.pavv.co.kr/openapi/service/widget/gallery?lang=en-GB
ad.samsungadhub.com

I have to disable the filtering if I want to install something off the app store but seeing as the apps are all garbage, that's very rare indeed!
nice to see people with some simple and effective "hacks" :D

btw. if somebody like to feed the tv with some statical custom content or like to understand how internet@tv communicaton works here some hints: http://pastebin.com/gzuBxq0g
this are the sequences from authentification -> installation of one sample widget.

Return to “[D] Brainstorm”