[How-To] Alternatives of Samsung WiFi Link Stick

This forum is for information related with B series hardware instead of firmware/software.

cotarelo

Re: [How-To] Alternatives of Samsung WiFi Link Stick

Post by cotarelo »

Will the TP-703N work on the LE40C550 loading modules into tv's kernel?
Does client mode works with ethernet jack? (without using wifi)
Samsung LE40C530
T-MSX5DEUC-2009.0
Aloyz

Post by Aloyz »

This is regular Acces Point. You can set it in AP Client mode so it will NAT wifi received signal to ethernet jack or set it in bridge mode so it will route packets from wifi to rj45 jack directly through layer 3. Too bad it is not on Broadcom platform so it will pass stright at layer 2, but for samygo purposes it have no matter. Simply load openwrt set apclient or relayd plug to ethernet jack, grab power from ac adaptor or tv's usb jack and here you go. Remeber that on original firmware you will do nothing unless you learn chinese. OpenWRT will require basci networking knowledge. IMHO better get tl-mr3020 and you can do everything on orignal firmware.
cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

Ahaaa... I was hoping that this toy could serve me to connect from the usb port of the tv to my switch via rj45 and not depend from wifi.

So what this gadget has to be with wifi link stick alternative?
Samsung LE40C530
T-MSX5DEUC-2009.0
Aloyz

Post by Aloyz »

Yes, that is what it is exactly. Alternative to wifi stick in usb port. I don't understand what you want to achive. Why don't you just plug EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 568B crossed cable into switch and rj 45 jack in tv?!
cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

My TV does not have ethernet card. It has a empty hole in a slot called "common interface".

I would like to achieve wired ethernet connection from the tv to my router (with a crossover cable) , but I only have a usb port. So, if I can connect this gadget to the usb port of the tv, and then my tv detects it as a ethernet card it would be perfect.

Does the tl-mr3020 works on the original samsung firmware? so if I connect the tl-mr3020 to the usb port I can have ethernet connection and (in client mode) wireless if needed some day?

Thanks
Samsung LE40C530
T-MSX5DEUC-2009.0
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

No it doesn't work on that way. Just grab a WiFi dongle with rt2870 chip inside.
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

WoW. You spotted rare rt2870 chip for ~$13!
Unfortunately I couldn't buy it due site doesn't deliver to Turkey.
Thanks.
I will place link into Wiki page.
lizaro

Post by lizaro »

This is just for the record.

I didn't have available any Ubuntu 10.04 or other older distribution to compile the source ralink drivers.

So I needed to compile the drivers with Ubuntu 11.10, and Kernel 3.x. The exception being thrown was the following:

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.c:34:20: note: expected ?VOID **? but argument is of type ?UCHAR **?
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

make[2]: *** [~/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/~/Downloads/2010_0709_RT2870_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.1/os/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-14-generic'
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2 
The source of the compilation error are the names of two methods in the source code that we renamed in kernel 2.6.35, in order to fix the issue you can manually
rename the method names (which can be prone to errors, has happended to me :D ) or you can just use the following one liner in the root directory of the source code:

wget -qO- http://www.linuxcrew.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/rt2870sta_usb_kernel2635.patch | patch -ul -p0
Once applied the patch, perform a 'make clean', and start compilation again.

I hope the information is useful.

Source: http://www.linuxcrew.de/blog/2010/10/11 ... 0/?lang=en
Gonzakpo

Post by Gonzakpo »

erdem_ua wrote:WoW. You spotted rare rt2870 chip for ~$13!
Unfortunately I couldn't buy it due site doesn't deliver to Turkey.
Thanks.
I will place link into Wiki page.
Just registered to let you know that I bought 3 Edimax EW-7718UN and the hack worked with the three of them. So, it is pretty safe!

I followed the Wiki step by step using Ubuntu 10.04. Also, you have one wrong instruction in the wiki:

8. Watch lsmod to current PID/VID. Take note that values
lsmod doesn't give you the PID/VID. lsusb does.

And finally, in the step where you check for previously installed kernel modules, you should recommend something like:

lsmod | grep rt
to search for installed modules instead of trying to guess names.

That's all. Thank you!!

Return to “[B] Hardware”