move files from TV-USB to PC (or to another TV-USB)

Here for general support for B series TVs, request and problem solve area.

paolodoc

move files from TV-USB to PC (or to another TV-USB)

Post by paolodoc »

I connected my WD passport 1 tera USB3 HD with a Samsung TV (UE5000 serie). When I tried to connect it to the PC again, it was not readable any more (no windows recovery software was able to read anything, no Ubuntu standard). The computer asked to format it. BUT 3 different Samsung TVs are still able to read the contents with media player (my LE40B655) or with all share (UE 5000 or UE 6000 series). INCREDIBLE

I need to extract all the files (not only media) from the TV USB to a PC or copy them to another USB (my TV has two). DLNA is a client so I cannot. Could SamyGo help me?
Because I'm a dummy with TV hacking I would like a suggestion: is samba server a possible solution ? An FTP server ? Which is the easy way to take these files from this USB? I understand that I need to study but I would like to get the right way from the begin.

And if somebody knows why only a Samsung TV is able to read my NTFS HD please, tell me !!!!

Thanks in advance for all the support that you will give to me.

Paolo
DEUS
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: move files from TV-USB to PC (or to another TV-USB)

Post by DEUS »

I guess you formated the HDD on the TV, so Filesystem is XFS then? you need to install xfs-tools or something similar for support in ubuntu.
with samygo you can run FTP, SAMBA and some other stuff on your TV, yes it will help.
sure your HDD is still NTFS?
paolodoc

Post by paolodoc »

Unfortunately I don't format the HD on the TV, I didn't write anything, nor I recorded anything. The HD was normally used with my PCs and I just played some movies. :-(
One my friend had similar problem recently (HD readable only by Samsung) but he was able to recover the data with some PC software. Furthermore on the WD forum I found another person with HD readable only from a samsung TV. Interesting, isn't? I suppose that Samsung Tvs didn't use the bios of the HD that in my case seems provide wrong information.

I'm not sure that is still NTFS but I don't see any reason why the TV should change the format of my HD.

Thanks for the answer. I will "approach" SamyGO with some hopes :-) I will report here my success to share the experience with other users.
DEUS
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by DEUS »

if you want to do some investigation try to boot "GParted Live" iso or usb, you could do some checks for FS and Device, should have all neccesary FS support installed. one thing i have in mind is worng FS ID, NTFS 07 or 17 for hidden, 73 for ext, maybe wrong id for FS
paolodoc

Post by paolodoc »

Thanks Deus I will check. I need some suggestion because I just discover that my LE40B650 has a CIP and a too new firmware (T-CHLCIPDEUC-2008.2) I read that i dangerous to try to downgrading,
If I understood well there is no samygo software that can work.

Uff I need to find another samsung :-( I found only this topic but I should understand the risks.
viewtopic.php?t=1468

Sorry, now reading better the forum structure, I understood that I'm in the wrong section. I should be in the SUPPORT.
paolodoc

Post by paolodoc »

I solved and as I promised I report the results (I hope that never anybody will have the same problem, but I afraid that it could happen) .

In synthesis: I have a LE40B651T3P with the need to keep out some files from an hard disk with NTFS readable only from samsung TVs (and not from any PC with Linux, Windows 7 or any recovery data software). Also the suggested (and useful) GParted live doesn't give me any information. I think that it is a problem with the HD bios but unfortunately the HD WD passports can be connected to the PC only through the soldered USB3 connectors.

Having my model a CI+ and a new firmware T-CHLCIPDEUC-2008.2 It was not possible to install Samygo application without downgrading my firmware (FBB is not supported with CI+).

FIRST SOLUTION
If you have only files <2Gb you can use telnet like here described
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Forced ... r_firmware
and copy the files between the two USB and unix command line
However there is a limitation: you cannot copy files >2Gb because the destination USB should be in NTFS format that is read only in the stock firmware- Furthermore EXT2 and 3 are not implemented and my TV does not support XFS.

SECOND SOLUTION (that I followed with full success)

Follow the instruction here

viewtopic.php?t=1468

to install the firmware 2006.0. I was in the same condition described in the post: (stock firmware 2007 upgraded 2008.2)
I reverted to the stock firmware with the SamyGO Telnet Enabler Trojan
and then following the instructions provided by VIBER3K (thanks a lot) I installed the firmware 2006.0

Than I was able to install the FTP (http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Conten ... FTP_Server) and it was possible to extract the files from my hard disk.

Thanks again to the forum and specially DEUS, VIBER3K and juuso

:) ;)
harrygg
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by harrygg »

Hi,
I just want to report an identical problem. It seems that the TV somehow does something to certain USBs making them useless.

I had a 16GB ADATA N005 USB 3.0 pen drive. I used it to copy movies and watch them on my Samsung LE32B650. I always use "Remove safely" option on TV. One day the USB pen drive just became unrecognizable on my PC. It hanged for a while and then reported that it needs to format the USB but even the format was unsuccessfull.
Strangly however the TV was still able to read the USB and the movies were playable.
I tested on various computers with Windows, Linux and even Mac. I tried hard formatting the USB with any tool I found in Internet but ... nothing was successfull. At the end the USB was still readable on the TV but not on any PC.

Thankfully the pen drive had lifetime warranty so I returned it and they after the guys in the service were not able to fix it they gave me a new one.
I still have no idea what could have happened to it.

Regards,
Hristo
satoshi1234

Post by satoshi1234 »

I used it to copy movies and watch them on my Samsung LE32B650.

Return to “[B] Support”