PS50B650 - HDMI audio question

Here for general support for B series TVs, request and problem solve area.

xefil

PS50B650 - HDMI audio question

Post by xefil »

Hi to all!

I've a problem with this TV and audio over HDMI.
I would like to set up a HTPC to stream videos on my TV. Until here all straight forward.
I'm noticing that sending the audio via HDMI to the TV and from the TV to the ampli via optical spdif the Home Thater Amplifier obtains only a PCM stereo signa even if the source streams a 5.1 Digital Dolby or DTS audio.
If I set the TV to a HD channel via satellite/cable, also without any PC connected, the stream from the digital channel goes to the Home Theater as 5.1 flow and on the Amplifier I can read "Digital Dolby" sound.
Seems it works on HD channels but not if the audio source is coming via HDMI.

Reading the manual, http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... g_0427.pdf on pages 45 and 48 I've found:

"Connect the Optical cable between the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack on your TV and the Digital Audio Input on the Home Theater.
N - When following the connection above, the Optical jack only outputs 2 channel audio. You will only hear sound from the Home Theater?s Front Left and Right speakers and the subwoofer. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the Digital Audio Out (Optical) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box (ie Anynet Device 1 or 2) directly to the Amplifi er or Home Theater, not the TV."

and

"When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV?s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver"

Well. Seems the PS50B650 is not capable of audio passthrough from HDMI source and it's decoding it to Stereo.

Now, does someone has experiences and any workaround suggestion?

Maybe installing SamyGO there is a way to solve this issue?

I cannot attach directly my PC to the Amplifier so I need to pass through the TV or, in case, using a HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF splitter, which I would like to prevent (I would need to purchase it :P)

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Simon
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: PS50B650 - HDMI audio question

Post by zoelechat »

The statement is simple: no Samsung TV supports HDMI audio passthrough.

There are some partial beginnings of workarounds (eg. EDID hack) but no real/working solution, search forum for "passthrough".
The best result I got (on E-series) was TV to let me choose Dolby Digital instead of PCM from HDMI source, but with no sound output at all. Not sure B-series would be more compliant.
It's a known problem (and probably a wanted behavior for some obscure commercial reasons) and SamyGo won't be of any help at this level. Btw, I always wondered why no dev ever investigated more deeply about this. :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

zoelechat wrote:....
Btw, I always wondered why no dev ever investigated more deeply about this. :)
Really? You really wonder about this? Okay so let me explain why developers don't work on some issueshut :) Ready. :) The developer doesn't work on some issue/bugfix/feature/etc because he/she is not interested in it and/or doesn't know how to do it :)

BTW, I never would have wonder that anyone would be interested in this information ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

sectroyer wrote:Really? You really wonder about this? Okay so let me explain why developers don't work on some issueshut :) Ready. :) The developer doesn't work on some issue/bugfix/feature/etc because he/she is not interested in it and/or doesn't know how to do it :)
I threw you a line, you caught it, as expected :)
You also can't think of everything is another reason ;)
xefil

Post by xefil »

Do you think something like this could be a workaround?

http://www.ebay.it/itm/121373126922

Meanwhile I'm looking for "passthrough" in the forum

Thanks!!

Simon
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

zoelechat wrote:
sectroyer wrote:Really? You really wonder about this? Okay so let me explain why developers don't work on some issueshut :) Ready. :) The developer doesn't work on some issue/bugfix/feature/etc because he/she is not interested in it and/or doesn't know how to do it :)
I threw you a line, you caught it, as expected :)
You also can't think of everything is another reason ;)
Holidays man :D Also I don't work on stuff only for the reasons I gave (maybe sometimes lack of time ;)). But I always like to give helpful answers :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

xefil wrote:Do you think something like this could be a workaround?

http://www.ebay.it/itm/121373126922
Yeah these boxes are mostly doing what they're meant to. Maybe you could think of one having more than 1 HDMI input if one day you need other device(s) to "passthrough"...
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

doesn`t work for movies with more audio tracks... Otherwise great tool.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
xefil

Post by xefil »

juuso wrote:doesn`t work for movies with more audio tracks... Otherwise great tool.
What does it mean it doesn't work for movies with more audio tracks? Is that not managed by the PC?
If I have i.e. one PC connected to the TV via HDMI, I'm choosing from the PC which audio stream to send to listen with the movie (i.e. ENGLISH AC3 or ITALIAN DTS or whatever). So it's the same for the splitter which flow is coming. Or I'm missing something?

Connection would be:

Code: Select all

PC -> HDMI -> SPLITTER  -1-> HDMI -> TV
....................... -2-> SPDIF -> AMPLIFIER
thanks for the help!

Simon
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Sorry if my post confused you, the item on ebay has following in description
This Adaptor can extract digital 2CH PCM stereo audio signal from the HDMI input and convert it to 2CH analog stereo output through its RCA style L/R analog output AND SPDIF output at the same time. The SPDIF output supports 5.1CH Dolby Digital 5.1CH / AC3 & DTS 5.1CH audio. The RCA L/R output will not have sound if the incoming audio is multi-channel audio (>2CH). The HDMI output has identical video and audio signals as the A/V signals coming into its HDMI input. User can extract 2CH audio signal from HDMI input for stereo / headphone application and use the SPDIF output for surround receiver 5.1CH audio setup when HDMI source sends DD / DTS 5.1CH.

The L /R stereo output has sound only if the audio format in the HDMI signal is 2CH. This is not a decoder, so if the audio signal in the HDMI is 5.1CH surround or above, the RCA L/R audio output will not have sound.
I don't have this adapter and maybe i did understand description not correctly.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Return to “[B] Support”