PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!

General Forum for talking area for E series TVs.

Highlander

PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!

Post by Highlander »

I can confirm that by using the Samsung Factory Service remote, you can turn on the PVR function on a Canadian UN46ES8000F. It has been tested and works without a flaw. Only 1 setting was changed, and that was "PVR Support" from off to on.

Please see my other posts for a link to the remote for $15+/-, and the UN46ES8000F Service Manual to find the correct navigation.

Best of luck.

Frank
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: PVR on Canadian ES Series - Confirmed!

Post by juusso »

thanks ! :-)
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
fhorozco

Post by fhorozco »

Highlander, I have the same TV, and I cant active PVR, u can help me pls
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

fhorozco wrote:Highlander, I have the same TV, and I cant active PVR, u can help me pls
First off you need the factory service remote, Part# AA81-00243A, REMOCON ASSY,TM930 SERVICE. You can get one for a little over $15.00 from http://www.samsungcanadaparts.com/product/inv_9416241. The price seems to have gone up since I got mine, and posted here, so it seems that demand has driven up the price a few dollars. Next, you need to read the factory service manual, which tells you how to use the remote and in what menu the PVR setting is in. Once you have the factory options open, just change PVR "off" to "on". You can read a copy of the Service Manual I have given to Samygo here http://sourceforge.net/projects/samygo/ ... F/download. See below for a picture of the SM with the PVR option highlighted.

Just remember that your picture settings will change. Write them down before you start, because they will re-set to default. Also note that to use the PVR/timeshift functions you must have a USB HDD plugged in. A thumb, flash, or whatever you chose to call it will work for a bit, but it will fail, as a HDD is really required. I hooked up a Samsung S2 HDD; http://www.seagate.com/files/www-conten ... 110714.pdf, and have not had any issues.

Once you have your drive plugged into you USB port, the TV will ask to format it. The format will make the drive unreadable to anything else you plug it into, so make sure you are using one that you only plan to use with the TV. Any recorded TV shows are only able to be played on your TV only, and if in the future you main board was replaced, you would also not have access to the files. This is part of Samsung' DRM (digital rights management) for copyright protection.

Here is some more info on using the built in PVR:

The recommended storage device is a USB HDD (Hard Disk Drive), Both AC powered and USB power HDD. USB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) operate between 5400rpm (USB powered) - 7200rpm (AC powered), this means that they have a higher constant read and write, this is essential for the recording function, USB memory sticks on the other hand fluctuate greatly in their reading and writing capabilities, this makes them unreliable when it comes to purchasing a USB storage device for the TV's recoding function.

1. When you watch a broadcast programme, select the right arrow using your remote to start the Timeshift function.
2. If you want to stop the Timeshift function, select the square button on your remote.
* The Timeshift mode operates for a maximum of 90 minutes.
* The Timeshift function is not supported for analogue channels.
* The Timeshift function is disabled for channels locked with Channel Lock

Best of luck.

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo503

Post by Leo503 »

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a UN60F8000 in Oregon, and would like to know if this remote will work to activate the pvr option in my tv?

Thank you :)
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Leo503 wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently bought a UN60F8000 in Oregon, and would like to know if this remote will work to activate the pvr option in my tv?

Best way to know is surely to try :)
US and Canadian models are probably very similar (if not the same), so there's a chance...
You may also check other methods to access (advanced) service menu:
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Service_Menu
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Remote ... m_IR_codes
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
Leo503

Post by Leo503 »

I would, but in the US the remote is about $70 plus shipping :( I'll peruse the links you sent and see if I can find a way to do it. And, if all fails, I'll buy the remote ;)

Thank you, zoelechat

ok, I tried the service menu, but I don't see anything about activating the pvr option. Could it be under a different name?
Leo503

Post by Leo503 »

Leo503 wrote:Hi everyone,

The suggested remote does not work with the UN60F8000 series.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Leo503 wrote:The suggested remote does not work with the UN60F8000 series.
Sorry about that, thanks for feedback.
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
Leo503

Post by Leo503 »

My Bad :) I contacted the seller, and he sent me a pdf with better instructions, and now I'm a happy boy. I'm off to record my favorite shows. I've attached a copy of the pdf to this reply.

Thanks zoelechat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “[E] General”