Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Here are software that related with Samsung E series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Post by sectroyer »

Okay it was a loooooooot of work but everything works now :) Just remember that setting correct date (to make certificates work correctly) will make all of you scheduled recordings become "invalid". You have to set them up manually since there is no way to fix it :( Also to make everything work correctly is best to first connect usb mouse and then usb keyboard. Accept both devices using remote and leave mouse pointer in the upper right corner. The cursor will not change so it's nice to have big white arrow :D Once I test it more I will release more detailed information :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Okay it looks that you can disable (for TV itself) the mouse in one more way. Just choose "No" when the popup appears asking whether to use the mouse :D
EDIT:
You get much better performance using normal USB disk(more than 32GB ;)) instead of usb stick :D
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

You can use USB disk (with at least 4GB of free space) with any format and everything is done on the TV itself.

Here are the steps to have fully working Ubuntu on E series:

Code: Select all

echo "Remounting usb devices:"
    for i in /dtv/usb/sd*; do
         echo "$i";
         mount -o remount,exec "$i"
    done
  • * Copy attached ubuntu_xfs.tar.gz file to some usb disk (any format is good) that has at least 4GB of free space.
    * Unpack attached file using this command:

tar -zxf ubuntu_xfs.tar.gz 
  • * Then just cd to to ubuntu_xfs directory and run this command:

/bin/sh ./ubuntu.sh
  • * The script sets everything up automatically (it takes about 5 hours to finish). You use the same command to chroot to your ubuntu system.
    * Finally launch gnome using:

gnome-session
Post your results and suggestions :)

To fix the issue with certificates (wrong date) uncomment from init.sh script this line:

#ntpdate -s ntp.ubuntu.com
Just be aware that it will invalidate your recordings list :) It may also cause other issues ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mkò

Post by Mkò »

Is possibile to test this on c series arm v7?
My tv is c6600? I know that this tv use xfs file system for recordings. But i don't know what Kerberos it has 2.6.8 i think
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Mk? wrote:Is possibile to test this on c series arm v7?
My tv is c6600? I know that this tv use xfs file system for recordings. But i don't know what Kerberos it has 2.6.8 i think
Wasn't tested on C :) You will have figure it out by yourself :)
whvmarius
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by whvmarius »

Tested on my E and it works, but I use LXDE Desktop.
And I was able to compile a few apps (for example infread) direct on TV and mount a FTP-Share.

But the automatic install-script doesn't work for me. With a little bit of work, now ubuntu starts automatic and hidden.
I use libnotify to send notifications to my TV from my Home-automation-system.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Maybe some howto from your experience. What exact is needed to change?
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
whvmarius
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by whvmarius »

I had made my own installation-script, but I deleted it recently. Maybe I write it new.
I installed not the ubuntu-desktop,only the lxde-core and libnotify.

Maybe my autostart script helps, but it is very messy and easy:

mount -o loop /dtv/usb/sda1/linux.xfs /mnt/core

cp /proc/mounts /mnt/core/etc/mtab

mount -o bind /dtv /mnt/core/dtv
mount -o bind /dsm /mnt/core/dsm
mount -o bind /core /mnt/core/core
mount -o bind /mtd_rwarea /mnt/core/mtd_area 
mount -o bind /mtd_drmregion_a /mnt/core/mtd_drmarea_a
mount -o bind /mtd_drmregion_b /mnt/core/mtd_drmarea_b
mount -o bind /mtd_appext /mnt/core/mtd_appext
mount -o bind /mtd_rocommon /mnt/core/mtd_rocommon
mount -o bind /mtd_contents /mnt/core/mtd_contents
mount -o bind /mtd_rwcommon /mnt/core/mtd_rwcommon
mount -o bind /mtd_emanual /mnt/core/mtd_emanual
mount -o bind /mtd_swu /mnt/core/mtd_swu
mount -o bind /dtv/usb/sda1 /mnt/core/usb/sda1
mount -o bind /bin/busybox /mnt/core/busybox
mount -o bind /dtv/usb/sda1 /mnt/core/dtv/usb/sda1
mount -o bind /mnt/core /mnt/core/mnt/core
mount -o bind /mnt/core/sys /mnt/core/mnt/core/sys
mount -o bind /mnt/core/dev/pts /mnt/core/mnt/core/dev/pts

cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/core/etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/hosts /mnt/core/etc/hosts
cp /etc/HOSTNAME /mnt/core/etc/hostname

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" hostname localhost

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" mount -t proc proc /proc

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" sudo dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" nohup lxsession >/dev/null 2>&1 &

sleep 5

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" killall pcmanfm

sleep 5

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" killall pcmanfm

sleep 5

sleep 5

sleep 60

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" killall openbox

/mnt/bin/chroot /mnt/core /usr/bin/env -i HOME="/root" LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" TMPDIR="/tmp" FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts" PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc" TERM=xterm PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin" DISPLAY=":0" notify-send "System" "System up"
I insert it in the 99_99_z_sendinfo.init file.

When someone can make this better, I would be happy about it ;)

The mount of an FTP Server made I with the package curlftpfs. But this worked on my TV only with this before the mount:

mkdir /tmp/dev
cp -r /dev/* /tmp/dev/
mount -o bind /tmp/dev/ /dev/
I don't know why, but it worked.
whvmarius
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by whvmarius »

ah, I found my installation-script, but some commands are not ready, but i think it should work. They are only notes for me for copy and paste. I've made an arrow where commands missing:

/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dtv/usb/sda1/linux.xfs bs=1M count=2048

/sbin/mkfs.xfs -f /dtv/usb/sda1/linux.xfs

mkdir /mnt/core
mount -o loop /dtv/usb/sda1/linux.xfs /mnt/core/

cd /mnt/core

wget http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/ubuntu-core/releases/12.04/release/ubuntu-core-12.04-core-armel.tar.gz

tar zxf ./ubuntu-core-12.04-core-armel.tar.gz

cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/core/etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/hosts /mnt/core/etc/hosts
cp /etc/HOSTNAME /mnt/core/etc/hostname

mount -o loop /dtv/usb/sda1/linux.xfs /mnt/core

mkdir /mnt/core/dtv
mkdir /mnt/core/dsm
mkdir /mnt/core/core
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_exe
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_rwarea
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_drmregion_a
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_drmregion_b
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_appext
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_rocommon
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_contents
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_rwcommon
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_emanual
mkdir /mnt/core/mtd_swu
mkdir /mnt/core/dtv
mkdir /mnt/core/dtv/usb
mkdir /mnt/core/dtv/usb/sda1
mkdir /mnt/core/bin/busybox
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/sys
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/proc
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/proc/bus
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/proc/bus/usb
mkdir /mnt/core/mnt/core/dev/pts

cp /proc/mounts /mnt/core/etc/mtab

mount -o bind /dtv /mnt/core/dtv
mount -o bind /dsm /mnt/core/dsm
mount -o bind /core /mnt/core/core
mount -o bind /mtd_rwarea /mnt/core/mtd_area 
mount -o bind /mtd_drmregion_a /mnt/core/mtd_drmarea_a
mount -o bind /mtd_drmregion_b /mnt/core/mtd_drmarea_b
mount -o bind /mtd_appext /mnt/core/mtd_appext
mount -o bind /mtd_rocommon /mnt/core/mtd_rocommon
mount -o bind /mtd_contents /mnt/core/mtd_contents
mount -o bind /mtd_rwcommon /mnt/core/mtd_rwcommon
mount -o bind /mtd_emanual /mnt/core/mtd_emanual
mount -o bind /mtd_swu /mnt/core/mtd_swu
mount -o bind /dtv/usb/sda1 /mnt/core/usb/sda1
mount -o bind /bin/busybox /mnt/core/busybox
mount -o bind /dtv/usb/sda1 /mnt/core/dtv/usb/sda1
mount -o bind /mnt/core /mnt/core/mnt/core
mount -o bind /mnt/core/sys /mnt/core/mnt/core/sys
mount -o bind /mnt/core/dev/pts /mnt/core/mnt/core/dev/pts

chroot /mnt/core /bin/bash

----------------- These Commands only in the chroot environment

hostname localhost

mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=""
export HOME="/root"
export TMPDIR="/tmp"
export FONTCONFIG_FILE="/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
export FONTCONFIG_PATH="/etc/fonts"
export PANGO_RC_FILE="/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/pango/pangorc"
mknod /dev/fbo c 29 0

apt-get install nano -y

------------> sources.list edit

apt-get update

dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
apt-get install dialog apt-utils -y

apt-get install vim.tiny sudo ssh net-tools ethtool wireless-tools network-manager iputils-ping rsyslog alsa-utils vim.tiny sudo ssh net-tools ethtool wireless-tools network-manager iputils-ping rsyslog alsa-utils -y

mkdir /tmp/dev
cp -r /dev/* /tmp/dev/
mount -o bind /tmp/dev/ /dev/

apt-get install lxde-core dos2unix apache2 php5 curl curlftpfs ntpdate libiconv-hook-dev libnotify-bin fuse x11vnc usbutils -y

umount /tmp/dev/

ln -s /usr/lib/libiconv_hook.so.1  /usr/lib/libiconv.so.2

apt-get remove xscreensaver -y

-----------> pango copy+edit

lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

There is no mkfs.xfs on the TV I have. ext4 seems a good choice though....

# find / | grep mkfs
/dtv/bin/mkfs.vfat
/dtv/bin/mkfs.minix
/dtv/bin/mkfs.ext2
/mnt/opt/privateer/usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat
/mnt/bin/mkfs.minix
/mnt/bin/mkfs.ext2
/mnt/bin/mkfs.vfat
/mtd_exe/vdlm/mkfs.ext4
/mtd_uniro/exe1/vdlm/mkfs.ext4
/mtd_uniro/exe2/vdlm/mkfs.ext4