Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Here are software that related with Samsung E series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Post by sectroyer »

lbalan79 wrote: I did fully read what you did prepare. That is how I got up to finding out that there is no xfs filesystem support and i switched to ext4, xrandr doesn't work and so on.
It's NOT that it doesn't work it does NOT EXIST :) That's completely different story :)
lbalan79 wrote: I know my level is too low for you but a little help here and there is always appreciated. Actually I was thinking that using -p might help in replacing 2> /dev/null output error from your scripts. I did not think that mkdir -p would work in this case though.
Don't get me wrong but in about 4-5 steps you will get to the point where NOBODY will be able to help you because NOBODY got it working or even investigated it :) As a result a result asking questions at that point will be pointless :) I know how it is I've been there few months ago ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

You are right. but if more bang their head on a closed door hopefully we get somewhere. My main goal was just to get any x application to display. Let's see if that will work :(.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

lbalan79 wrote:You are right. but if more bang their head on a closed door hopefully we get somewhere.
I can assure you that NOBODY ELSE is "banging their head on closed door". At least NOT about what you are trying to do:)
lbalan79 wrote: My main goal was just to get any x application to display. Let's see if that will work :(.
well download toolchain and compile some app using that toolchain that's simplest way :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

I did compile the hello world and go tit working. When I had to compile a simple x application I needed the X11 headers. So I had to compile X. However I got some problems there. Actually I am not sure -p works when /dev is already mounted to /dev. I might have to do a makedev and mount everything similar to original /dev.

As I expected. So I wasn't so bad with my level :D. mkdir -p would not work since dev is ro. Need to build it from scratch :).

Code: Select all

# mkdir -p /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts
mkdir: can't create directory '/tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts': Read-only file system
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Well no idea what is your problem:

root@tv:~ # mkdir -p /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts
root@tv:~ # ls -l /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/
total 0
Moreover :

root@tv:~ # mount -o bind /dtv/pts/ /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/
root@tv:~ # find /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/
/tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/
/tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/1
/tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts/0
:)
lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

I see that but did you mount /dev before trying?

mount -o bind /dev /tmp/linux/dev
The issue is that /dev is read only on my system and has no ./pts folder inside....

Here is my output:

/dtv/usb/sda1/ubuntuxfs/ubuntu_xfs # mount -o bind /dev /tmp/ubuntu/dev
/dtv/usb/sda1/ubuntuxfs/ubuntu_xfs # mount -t devpts devpts /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts
mount: mounting devpts on /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory
/dtv/usb/sda1/ubuntuxfs/ubuntu_xfs # mkdir -p /tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts
mkdir: can't create directory '/tmp/ubuntu/dev/pts': Read-only file system
/dtv/usb/sda1/ubuntuxfs/ubuntu_xfs #
I see few options:
1. Copy the actual read only /dev from the tv image and make it rw on the ubuntu image. Then use mount the same mount points to /tmp/ubuntu/dev as the tv uses.
2. Compile from source few libs required in ubuntu to point to /dtv for pseudo terminals location. opentty.c and ptsname_r.c both hardcode /dev/pts :(. So this probably means compiling util linux and maybe more from scratch after patching it :(.
3. Fiddle more with MAKEDEV and create a new /dev at the mount point.
4. Pray that sectroyer has an easier solution.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

lbalan79 wrote: 4. Pray that sectroyer has an easier solution.
Well sectroyer knows that you don't know what /dev/pts is :) If you would know you would also know that it is NOT required to get ubuntu working. Also you said that your goal is to run "X app using existing X server"... Well if that's what you want I attach two X apps that are working for me "out of the box" :) Anyway if you have problem with "running X apps" I don't see how you can continue with hacking Xorg ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

Yay. It works. This is amazing. First time I am actually able to manually display something on the tv screen using X11.

Notes: Like I said before I was able to chroot on ubuntu. The reason /dtv/pts was interesting enough it is because apt-get will always complain. Not a showstopper but something to keep in mind and that I was trying to fix.

Next quest now is to compile ubuntu X11 xterm and other apps and see if they run under X.

Notes: the click remote actually is active and allows to change focus under X11 even though the order of the windows didn't change.
20150404_082755.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

lbalan79 wrote:Yay. It works. This is amazing. First time I am actually able to manually display something on the tv screen using X11.
Glad you are happy although it's not "amazing" for me ;) It's exactly as I described :)
lbalan79 wrote: Next quest now is to compile ubuntu X11 xterm and other apps and see if they run under X.
Well one of the apps I attached is xterm :) So no need to compile this one ;) Also you should start by learning about autoconf/automake and setting toolchain :)
lbalan79
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by lbalan79 »

sectroyer wrote: Well one of the apps I attached is xterm :) So no need to compile this one ;) Also you should start by learning about autoconf/automake and setting toolchain :)
Yes.First step: I was able to get the hello world to run on the tv. But more complex applications do not compile dues to missing flag configs. I will need to set a fully functional crosscompile environment on this ubuntu and see what doesn't work.

Return to “[E] Software”