Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Here are software that related with Samsung E series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Installing Ubuntu in Samsung Smart TV natively

Post by sectroyer »

It would be great to create some shell script that would do everything automatically :) For instance you pass it a usb with ubuntu on it and it sets up everything automatically :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
bobiturboto
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by bobiturboto »

Sky wrote:
@bobiturboto:

Hum, I'm not quite sure what could be the problem, could it be that the pre-built filesystem does not match your TV's processor architecture? Maybe you need a different Ubuntu build, that does match your hardware (I actually have no idea what are the specific differences between hardware in E and F series...)

~Sky

Code: Select all

Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
Features        : swp half fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt 
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x2
CPU part        : 0xc0f
CPU revision    : 3

Hardware        : Samsung SDP1202 evaluation board
Unfortunately probably you are right. I've tried with ubuntu-core-14.04-core-armhf and the result is the same.

@all
Please.
Please, let's somebody else with F8000 repeat my test just to be sure that my setup is correct.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Yes, for the time being I'm not using an automatic script, but I have all the useful commands in a txt. Eventually an script will be ideal.

@bobiturboto

There has to be a Linux filesystem compatible with your TV model, it would be a matter of finding it.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Sky wrote:@zoelechat:

Sure, as soon as I find some time to rewrite some parts I'll do it. However I'm trying to enable proper mouse support by tweaking the xorg.conf file (now that I can bind it), and... No dice :/. Maybe I'll have to write that /dev/mice -> XdoTool script, I'm gessing that should work ^^".

~Sky
Isn't X restart necessary to make X reread the Xorg.conf? :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Okay so the TV doesn't have /dev/input/ directory but it has one in /dtv:

find /dtv/input/
/dtv/input/
/dtv/input/mice
/dtv/input/event4
/dtv/input/mouse4
/dtv/input/event3
/dtv/input/mouse3
/dtv/input/event2
/dtv/input/mouse2
/dtv/input/event1
/dtv/input/mouse1
/dtv/input/event0
/dtv/input/mouse0
There is also:

/dev/mice
Which also reads raw data from mouse...
Sky

Post by Sky »

Indeed one has to restart for the Xorg.conf to be reread, what I did was to mount the new conf file in a start script, and restart the TV, but made no difference.
About /dev/input/mice, you're right, I created it inside Ubuntu, but in Xorg.conf I was using /dev/mice, which works as expected (I guess it's the same device as /dtv/input/mice).
So no idea why there is no proper input once Ubuntu has been loaded. The XdoTool solution might be a dirty workaround but I'll have to actually consider it xD

~Sky
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

I suspect by "start script" you means start.sh? Be careful with that!!! One error and you have a brick... I think we have "attack" the original /dev directory and not the chrooted one since X runs outside of chroot... Whenever we ask X to look for input devices it checks there;) Also does the X use mouse at the moment? I think it's exeDSP itself that handles the Mose device. Also I read that X should detect new connected mouse device automatically. Maybe it will detect newly connected mouse if we patch it...
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

BTW both mice devices look completely the same:

root@tv:~ # cat /dtv/input/mice > /tmp/mouse1.bin&
root@tv:~ # cat /dev/mice > /tmp/mouse2.bin&
root@tv:~ # md5 /tmp/mouse*
/mnt/bin/sh: md5: not found
root@tv:~ # md5sum /tmp/mouse*
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /tmp/mouse1.bin
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /tmp/mouse2.bin
9ac6bd6147c7992902643894df3afca7  /tmp/mouse1.bin
9ac6bd6147c7992902643894df3afca7  /tmp/mouse2.bin
c911aaba72b89778bf7e5b18d5ea918a  /tmp/mouse1.bin
c911aaba72b89778bf7e5b18d5ea918a  /tmp/mouse2.bin
Connecting, moving, moving, disconnecting :)
Sky

Post by Sky »

Yeah, they should be the same, even if we create a device node inside the chroot, as long as we use the same major and minor numbers, they will be the same device, as those are used at kernel level, the fastest solution is to bind the /dev directory.

And yup, is pretty risky messing around with start.sh. And yeah, I also think it's the TV higher level software (exeDSP) the one that directly controls it (and probably graphic acceleration too), cos otherwiswe IDK why the mouse only works there and ignores any possible linux desktop environment (the same happens when using LXDE).

I also read that X should detect the mouse automatically, but it doesn't happen: tools like xinput or udevadm do not register any pointer device once the mouse has been connected, even though lsusb do list all its properties (down to the mouse manufacture and model). And this is all with a perfectly working mice device inside the chroot.

At first I thought this may have something to do with both "mouse" and "kbd" drivers not being present on the XServer (as the xlog.txt files says), but then I read this is completely unrelated. Weird...

sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

Sky wrote:Yeah, they should be the same, even if we create a device node inside the chroot, as long as we use the same major and minor numbers, they will be the same device, as those are used at kernel level, the fastest solution is to bind the /dev directory.

And yup, is pretty risky messing around with start.sh. And yeah, I also think it's the TV higher level software (exeDSP) the one that directly controls it (and probably graphic acceleration too), cos otherwiswe IDK why the mouse only works there and ignores any possible linux desktop environment (the same happens when using LXDE).

I also read that X should detect the mouse automatically, but it doesn't happen: tools like xinput or udevadm do not register any pointer device once the mouse has been connected, even though lsusb do list all its properties (down to the mouse manufacture and model). And this is all with a perfectly working mice device inside the chroot.

At first I thought this may have something to do with both "mouse" and "kbd" drivers not being present on the XServer (as the xlog.txt files says), but then I read this is completely unrelated. Weird...

I think we are both going in the same direction ;) No point discussing it here (to many speculations, to little facts...). :)

Return to “[E] Software”