I have spent some time on the weekend with fixing major issues with my readaheadfs.
- readahead is starting after a certain amount of sequential read is detected, can be set by the readahead_start parameter in KByte
- readahead aio is done in a callback chain
- the total size of readahead can be set by the readahead_size parameter in MByte
- size of readahead chunks can be set by the readahead_chunk parameter in KByte. This is the read size which is cannot be cancelled after started
The tool is now in a pretty good shape. I can play/seek many HD videos:
- after stopping a playback, the readahead gets into an inconsistent state, however it does not influence the user experience
- sometime the readahead does not start. You have to press pause, wait, press play, sometimes press rwd 2-3 times, and it always helps.
- directory listing of mp3s are not supported (reading ID3 tags confuses the readahead)
- CPU consumption is higher than expected but OK
I have also created a script to mount curlftpfs and readaheadfs. Let us see how to use it:
1. Unzip the attached stuff into the folder where you unzipped SamyGO All Extensions
2. Edit the server URL in the SamyGO/etc/init.d/05_05_readahead_ftp.init file
3. Rename the SamyGO/etc/init.d/03_03_nfsmount.init file to *.bak (because I am using the NFS fake USB for readaheadfs mount)
4. Copy stuff to the TV and start it from the content menu
I still have some issues to play movies bigger than 9 MBit/s average bitrate via my g wifi. I think my g wifi equipment is also not the best one...
I would appreciate if someone would test it with N wifi. I am interested in the result and plan to upgrade to N wifi if it helps...
It could also make sense to test the readaheadfs in combination with samba or nfs again.
For the ones who meaures >20 MBits/s over Samba and n wifi the readaheadfs in combination with samba should be a working solution.