HDMI EDID hack to allow 5.1 passthrough

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

nbd

Re: HDMI EDID hack to allow 5.1 passthrough

Post by nbd »

Hello, what's the point? If the EDID info is stored on the chip ROM (or similar non-volatile memory), it will stay there even without real power.
DEvil0000

Post by DEvil0000 »

hi there,
i tryed it yesterday with my ati hd mobile and my b series tv but not working till now.

any news to this topic?
is there a solution for this till now?
i mean solving this via software not hardware.
nbd

Post by nbd »

No. This needs experts and proper hardware knowledge. I don't think the EDID info is writeable from TV software.
Anaerin

Post by Anaerin »

Apparently, it is, if you DISABLE EDID from the debug menu (which disables protection), and use PowerStrip - The registered version has the unsupported feature that you can update EDIDs through it, if you contact the makers after buying the registered version to get the unlock pin for that feature: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1280874
chaosmaker
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by chaosmaker »

Any updates? Or has this been closed completely?
prairie
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by prairie »

I am a little confused by this topic. My D-series allows 5.1 passthrough to the optical output without any sort of modifications. I currently have the following devices sending 5.1 through to optical out:

1. PS3 (5.1 only, DTS does not get passed)
2. AppleTV
3. Motorola QIP 6416 FiOS (requires passthrough be selected in device set-up menu)
PN60F8500AFXZA
T-FXPAKUC 1206.3 + SamyGO

"BrickMaster 2015"
nbd

Post by nbd »

I don't think DTS passthrough is possible. I have a device that can fake EDID info and it is configured according to my audio receiver which can receive DTS, this way I can get my bluray player to send DTS to the TV, but nothing comes out.
mattberlin
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mattberlin »

Well, I have never noticed that 5.1 is not passed through. Thank's for telling me. Well, seems as if one has to connect directly to AV receiver.
my TV: LE32B679
nbd

Post by nbd »

5.1 AC3 gets passed, that's not the issue. DTS does not, thats another issue. The problem is that most devices don't even bother to send the AC3 to the TV, since they think it won't play it.
zanfur

Post by zanfur »

This is actually possible, as I've just verified using some non-trivial number of hours of testing.

I have an F6300 series, and examining the E-EDID information it advertises that it only supports PCM 2.0 16/20/24b depth at 48kHz and that it only has front right/left speakers (which is, in all fairness, the truth...). So, any device using autodiscovery, which is nearly all of them, will only send it PCM 2.0 in the first place.

However, if you can override a device's discovery mechanism and force it to output DTS or AC3, the tv will pass that along. Basically, it does zero audio decoding, just passes it straight along. This means you get static unless your receiver is decoding, of course. Note that this is only DTS over an optical, not DTS-HD, because you can't run DTS-HD over optical due to cable bandwidth limitations -- just AC3 5.1, DTS 5.1, or PCM 2.0.

I was able to construct an E-EDID block that claimed to support a 5.1 speaker setup with AC3 and DTS support and convince my windows installations (three different computers) to use this fake E-EDID instead of the one it got from the monitor, and I was successfully able to pass AC3 from the computer --hdmi-> TV --optical-> receiver, and output 5.1 sound. If I were able to flash this E-EDID to the tv itself, I wouldn't even have to override the connected devices' autoconfiguration...but it would hardcode the TV to support only whatever I put in the E-EDID. The *proper* way to do this would be for Samsung to discover the capabilities on the attached receiver, and advertise *that*...but that requires dynamically updating the TV E-EDID when new receivers are connected to the ARC channel, and I don't think that'll happen anytime soon. The autodiscovery wouldn't work for optical out, of course, though a menu allowing us to configure the optical capabilities would be grand.

For those curious how to override their E-EDID information on Windows XP and higher, check out EnTech's "MonInfo" which can extract E-EDID information from the TV and can create override driver files from binary E-EDID blocks, and Deltacast's "E-EDID Editor" which allows you to edit those extracted binary E-EDID blocks, which you can then open in MonInfo and use to create override driver files. No, I won't post my E-EDID file, because it's unit-specific (not just model) -- extract your own E-EDID and modify it.

Note that most computers don't actually encode to AC3 or DTS for sound output (though they'll pass it along if that's the source encoding), just PCM, so unless you have a dolby digital live encoder in your sound output stack you still won't be able to get 5.1 through the optical. It should work thoguh ARC, though, even just using PCM. N.B. -- I haven't tested audio return through ARC, just optical, so this last is just conjecture.

Return to “[B] Brainstorm”