Download Manager

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Re: Download Manager

Post by erdem_ua » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:21 am

I think it's easy.
But does it really required?
Just use "wget" bash program to get files by your TV.

Enter to tv from telnet / ssh, and start downloading files from TV...
You can store those files at your attached USB device.

Off course if your TV goes off, your download will be cut in half and doesn't resumed later, at least automatically.
It's not download manager, you can't control it from outside, doesn't have good looking gui but does the job easily.

It comes to my mind now, I don't know what happens if telnet connection is closed in the half of download. But I guess it will not terminated until it's job done...

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:42 pm

TV has enough CPU power to do job, no doubt on it.
"Resume" operation might be allowed via wget too. Don't know how but you can easily find it.
But autostarting half downloaded file will be problematic. And if you mention downloading from online shares like rapid, netload, you can't if you don't have premium account which provides constant url name...
I think you need some better than bash program. How about switch to python...
I think It's really easy to make such program with python. It has really good language (the best) and have multiple libraries to do that job easy...
You will need python for arm binaries/libraries to make it working on TV... But it's better to program in your PC. Porting to TV will not big problem. There is also good tutorials about python... Learning python (1~3 days) + designing a program (~ a day)+ coding such a program (1~3 days) takes maximum a week, for average "user" :)

nbd

wget resume download

Post by nbd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 pm

wget -c

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Re: wget resume download

Post by erdem_ua » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:51 pm

nbd wrote:wget -c
Still need a program/script to handle half downloaded files :)

arris69
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by arris69 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:08 pm

mcaaltuntas wrote:I thought it would be cool that while I am watching movie or playing PS3, my TV's background process is downloading files from hotfile, rapidshare.. Generally when I watch TV at the same time my notebook is open and its downloading something so I can turn off my notebook if I could develop something like simple download manager. Actually I am a linux newbie and I thought I could have some fun while learning linux and developing. What do you think ? is it possible and worth it ?
wget and rtorrent aren't in "SamyGO All Extensions" pack for your device :?:

arris

Return to “[B] Brainstorm”