Setting up a cross compiling toolchain

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

dynamic1969
SamyGO Admin

Setting up a cross compiling toolchain

Post by dynamic1969 »

Hi,

this thread is supposed to be used to consolidate information for a "HowTo" to set up a cross compiling toolchain.
Also this information will be moved into the Samsung TV Hacking WIKI, once we have managed to get a working HowTo documented here.

Regards
dynamic
dynamic1969
SamyGO Admin

Re: Setting up a cross compiling toolchain

Post by dynamic1969 »

Hi Robbiesz,

this is excellent!!
I'll definitely have a go at it this weekend ... and we can then get it over into the WIKI ;)

@eddie also thanks for your input and proposed little fixes.

Regards
dynamic
marcelru
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by marcelru »

Hi guys,

I had a go at your toolchain build procedure on my fc11 box. It's a bit different from ubuntu, so I had to do some minor patching.
Ran into the same issue as eddie did, resolved it, and now I have a working toolchain. Haven't compiled anything useful yet, but it works.

To easy life a little, I made a bunch of scripts to build everything,so manual moving of code etc. is not needed anymore.
Anyway, the stuff I made (with input from Robbiesz and a bit from this: http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/toolchain/)
is attached. I also gave it a SamyGO-touch ...

The scripts are more or less self-explanatory. Just have a look at make_all.sh for order of execution.

Let's all do some testing and then move the info we gather to the wiki.

Grtz,

marcelr

Just for reference, in case you run into something not working:
The build was successful with the following tools:

gcc version 4.4.1 20090725 (Red Hat 4.4.1-2)
GNU ld version 2.19.51.0.14-1.fc11 20090722
GNU assembler version 2.19.51.0.14 (x86_64-redhat-linux) using BFD version version 2.19.51.0.14-1.fc11 20090722
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marcelru

Post by marcelru »

The same here,
I would like to have a working sshd, (AND a root passwd ;-) ) before my TV will be permanently attached to the network.

So, since the guys at debian seem to have a working sshd for armel, I thing I'll do some shopping there to see if I can get it working for SamyGO.

Regards,

marcelr
marcelru

Post by marcelru »

Hi hhg2,

The tar is OK. It just contains the scripts and patches to build the toolchain. gcc and the binutils (ld and as) are included in the fedora 11 distro, at least when installed with 'software development' support.
If you don't have these, you can install them with 'yum install gcc' and 'yum install binutils'.
gcc today is quite a bunch of packages, one for each programming language it supports, plus the core compiler and libraries. you may have to install some more than just bare gcc (you will need libgcc as well, but it gets maybe automatically installed as a dependency)

On my machine (the one I built the toolchain on), I have the following packages installed regarding gcc:

gcc-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64
gcc-java-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64
libgcc-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64
gcc-gnat-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64
gcc-c++-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64
gcc-gfortran-4.4.1-2.fc11.x86_64

Frankly, I'm not sure what the gcc-gnat part is,but it got installed somehow, probably a mistake. I just use the C, C++ and fortran compilers.

Hope this helps,

marcelr

Return to “[B] Brainstorm”