[App] HDMI 5.1 audio passthrough patch E/F/H (MST only)

Here are software that related with Samsung F series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

[App] HDMI 5.1 audio passthrough patch E/F/H (MST only)

Post by zoelechat »

Patch unlocks TV's ability to passthrough 5.1 audio from HDMI to SPDIF (optical). However, it's first mandatory to "fake EDID", else no point in trying patch. For this several possibilities (non-exhaustive list):
  • Most cheap HDMI switches have generic EDID, and inserting one between HDMI device and TV does the job.
    Otherwise, more expensive devices are meant to, and specifically do it (EDID Manager, Dr HDMI...)
  • If HDMI device is Windows PC, EDID can be easily overrided by modifying monitor.inf or regedit (search forum and/or Google for EDID hack/fake/override to find how-to).
  • PS3 has its own built-in "override EDID" option.
  • Some (most?) Android media player devices don't care at all of TV's EDID, so it should work with them too.
  • More generally for patch to work, you have to find state where you can select "Dolby Digital" as SPDIF mode in TV menu while being on HDMI source, but TV outputs no sound at all.
  • Some TVs already have AC3 compliant EDID, no idea which ones but they exist, only way to know is to try.
  • Patch TV's HDMI EDIDs (eeprom stored) using libFakeEDID.
Should work for both AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS passthrough.

Usage:
  • Get latest samyGOso from there and copy/overwrite samyGOso file (not folder) to /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/bin
  • Set permissions if needed (usually not if overwritten)

Code: Select all

chmod +x /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/bin/samyGOso
  • Extract attached archives and copy libHDMIpassthru.so to /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso (create folder if needed)
  • Execute
    On F/H ONLY, first execute:

samyGOso -d -T -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
    On E, and next on F/H:

samyGOso -d -r -A -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
    Commandline can take three args:
    • AUTO - Will automatically switch to AC3/DTS SPDIF out mode on HDMI source
    • PCM - Forcibly returns to PCM mode when switching back to TV source
    • DTS (experimental) - Allow both AC3 and DTS to passthrough. In this mode, TV will always show all SPDIF output modes "available" on all sources (even if they're not). If HDMI source outputs DTS, selecting DD or DTS should switch to passthrough even if TV reports PCM.
    So (second) command could be:

samyGOso -d -r -A -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so AUTO PCM DTS
    Logfile is written to /dtv/HDMIpassthru.log
  • Autostart
    • Copy 99_90_HDMIpassthru.init to /mnt/etc/init.d
    • Set permissions

chmod +x /mnt/etc/init.d/99_90_HDMIpassthru.init
    • You might change OPTIONS value on top of script, default is

OPTIONS="AUTO"
      Could be for example

OPTIONS="AUTO PCM DTS"
Known issue (at least on E): may be needed to switch to HDMI while being on TV channel having AC3 audio track for SPDIF to output AC3/DTS then.

*Changelog:

2/3/2015
v0.1.2 - Added DTS passthrough support
19/2/2015
v0.1.1 - Quicker TV series detection
16/2/2015
v0.1.0 - First public release
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: [App] HDMI 5.1 audio passthrough patch E/F/H

Post by zoelechat »

Released, maybe there will be more F/H volunteers that way :)
PrinzEugen
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by PrinzEugen »

hi, so far without patch i have this results:
i get sound from receiver via samsung tv optical as DTS, DOlby Digital, PCM sound format (depend on movie codec)
for tv channels also i have some sound options, depends on ch.
from smarthub, and aux hdmi sources i get only PCM. If i have ARC on both side i suppose i will get more sound formats.

If i understood right, i will get from set top box via hdmi, dolby digital format on tv, nevertheless arc support?

On STB i can switch hdmi audio as bitstream or pcm.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Patch concern only HDMI to optical passthrough, not ARC neither Smarthub related stuff nor media player/PVR/TV, internal sources already outputting 5.1 to spdif natively.
Mandatory preliminary is in bold:
it's first needed to "fake EDID"
for patch to work, you have to find state where you can select "Dolby Digital" as SPDIF mode in TV menu while being on HDMI source, but TV outputs no sound at all.
As long as this condition is not fullfilled, no point in trying patch, and no matter which output type you select on your STB, TV will request PCM, so HDMI device will send PCM. That's how EDID handshake goes and that's why it's needed to override it using one of mentioned methods (non-exhaustive list, particular devices might be unknown to me).
prairie
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by prairie »

Hi zoelechat - I was going to test your patch on my F-series and I was checking that your precondition was ok. I hooked my motorola cable box directly to HDMI1 and it has 3 audio settings, AUTO, L-PCM, and PASSTHROUGH. I set it on PASSTHROUGH figuring that would override any EDID setting and indeed DOLBY Digital is available in the sound menu. The strange thing is optical out is sending 5.1 to my receiver no problem, how can this be? I thought HDCP would prevent the TV from decoding it (and hence a need for the patch).
PN60F8500AFXZA
T-FXPAKUC 1206.3 + SamyGO

"BrickMaster 2015"
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

No real idea for now, you're the first one to try on F/H, I even don't know if it works :)
Did you launch both commands?

samyGOso -d -T -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
and

samyGOso -d -r -A -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so AUTO PCM
what does say log? (/dtv/HDMIpassthru.log)
prairie
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by prairie »

I did not try the patch because it is not needed, DD5.1 is being sent from the TV optical out to my receiver without the patch. My question was if you knew how this could be possible?
PN60F8500AFXZA

"BrickMaster 2015"
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Ah ok, too bad, I was happy that finally someone could report something on F/H :D
From what I know, it seems the "value" which is patched is sometimes (rarely) enabled (at least: not disabled) by default on some TVs. The same goes for some other features we've randomly discovered. Why? Absolutely no idea :)
prairie
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by prairie »

Ok, thanks for the reply. My previous D-series behaved the same way. On the F-series there is also a setting in the service menu HDCP enable (on/off) and I tried in both positions but it made no difference. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
PN60F8500AFXZA

"BrickMaster 2015"
joskevermeulen
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: [App] HDMI 5.1 audio passthrough patch E/F/H (MST only)

Post by joskevermeulen »

I can report that it's working on H series. (more specifically on UE40H6400, T-MST14DEUC-2130.0)

I have a settopbox connected to the tv via hdmi. The tv is connected to my sound system through optical spdif. About 100 tv channels gave sound, but 5 didn't...
In the sound settings, it's still on PCM mode. But there is now sound on the 5 channels which gave problems before.

Thanks a lot for this patch! Just what I needed

PS: I didn't do anything with EDID, just installed the patch and there was sound

Return to “[F] Software”