[App] libFakeEDID E/F/H

Here are software that related with Samsung F series TVs.
Please don't create any new topic here unless you have software to post/release.

zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

[App] libFakeEDID E/F/H

Post by zoelechat »

*If you don't know what is EDID, don't ask me, use Google, thanks.

This patch allows to override HDMI EDIDs, mainly for TV to request and pass non-PCM (=AC3/DTS) audio from HDMI sources, and possibly use libHDMIpassthru without preliminary using any of other mentioned methods to "fake EDID".

Patch doesn't work on non-MST E-series (T-ECP firmwares). Should work fine on all other E/F and H-MST.

Beware that it's eeprom handling stuff, all changes are permanently applied!! Read carefully!!!
  • Get latest samyGOso from there and copy/overwrite samyGOso file (not folder) to /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/bin
  • Set permissions if needed (usually not if overwritten)

Code: Select all

chmod +x /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/bin/samyGOso
  • Extract attached archive and copy libFakeEDID.so to /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso (create folder if needed)
  • Before anything else, let's do a backup of original EDIDs. For this, launch command:

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so DUMP
    then look into /dtv, patch should have created 4 files named FakeEDIDdump_HDMIx.bin, copy them to a safe place (I mean: not elsewhere on TV but on your computer for example) and keep them.
    If ever TV crashed at this point, no need to go further, it would mean patch simply doesn't work with your TV.
  • In case something goes wrong you can put again these 4 backed up files in /dtv at any time and launch command:

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so LOAD
    to restore EDIDs to original state. Everything should be back to "normal" then.
Usage:
  • Code: Select all

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so OPTION [HDMIx] [DTS]
  • OPTION arg has to be amongst these four values:
    • DUMP - Dumps all HDMI ports EDIDs in separate files (FakeEDIDdump_HDMIx.bin), in addition to TV default one (FakeEDIDdump_DEFAULT.bin). Used with 2nd arg HDMIx (x=1,2,3,4), it dumps only specified one.
    • FAKE - Override EDID(s) to allow AC3 input support on whole HDMI ports if used alone or on specified HDMI port if used with HDMIx second arg. Can take additional DTS arg to patch AC3 and DTS support.
    • DEFAULT - Override whole (or HDMIx specified) port(s) to TV default EDID which is not necessarily original state, only some hardcoded "TV default" (working well though).
    • LOAD - Restore all (or HDMIx specified) EDID(s) from file, files have to be (re)placed in /dtv folder with their original name (FakeEDIDdump_HDMIx.bin) for them to be restored.
    Logfile is written to /dtv/FakeEDID.log, can be very useful to take a look at it after each operation!!

TV reboot is mandatory after any write operation (FAKE/DEFAULT/LOAD) for changes to become effective. HDMI device(s) reboot may be needed as well.
Sample usages:

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so DUMP HDMI1
    Dump HDMI1 EDID to file /dtv/FakeEDIDdump_HDMI1.bin

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so FAKE HDMI2 DTS
    Patch HDMI2 EDID to accept both AC3 and DTS audio input.

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so DEFAULT HDMI3
    Override HDMI3 EDID to TV default (with PCM only support).

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so LOAD HDMI4
    Load HDMI4 EDID from file, /dtv/FakeEDIDdump_HDMI4.bin has to be existent for restore to be done.
*Changelog:

6/3/2015
v0.1.9 - First release
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
mcbane
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: [App] libFakeEDID E/F/H

Post by mcbane »

Thanks for your Work.
If I'm getting this right, you are saying this hack will change my EDID that way, that my HDMI devices will detect the Samsung as DD5.1 compatible?
If yes, Unfortunately my F6340 isn't doing this after successfull hacking all HDMI-Ports. All my HDMI-Devices still don't detect Dolby Digital and that's why they only output PCM.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Was that solved by using it simultaneously with libHDMIpassthru? Like you said in its thread? Both patches are mostly meant to be used together (despite that some TVs might need only one or none of them for passthrough to work).

For reminder:
- libFakeEDID allows to select Dolby Digital/DTS as SPDIF output (if HDMI device sends these formats)
- libHDMIpassthru allows TV to output audio from this selection (instead of silence :) )
mcbane
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mcbane »

So it's not telling my Device "Hey I can DD5.1" ? Because execpt my Coolstream, which can forcibly output DD5.1, my other Devices (FireTV-Stick and PC with NVIDIA Graphics Card) rely on auto-detection. And it looks like Samy-TV is telling them "Hey I can only Stereo/PCM"
For reminder:
- libFakeEDID allows to select Dolby Digital/DTS as SPDIF output (if HDMI device sends these formats)
- libHDMIpassthru allows TV to output audio from this selection (instead of silence :) )
Regarding your Description, I think libFakeEDID wasn' t needed on my F-Series Samy. Because without this lib I was already able to choose DD as possible digitil output source.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Right, this patch is not needed if your device(s) "can forcibly output DD5.1". Which syntax did you use, what did say log? (no problem in patching again if you don't have log anymore). Also did you reboot TV and devices (maybe even unplug them)?
mcbane
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mcbane »

Not sure if we booth speaking about the same thing. I need my other Devices (not Samy) to output DD5.1 through HDMI towards Samy-TV. But lets asume we do speak about the same :D

First I did:

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so DUMP
Dump was made correctly. Well at least the Files were stored in DTV. If they are correct? Don't know.

Then this:

samyGOso -T -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libFakeEDID.so FAKE DTS
And Log (reapllied it for this log):

[FakeEDID] SamyGO E/F/H libFakeEDID v0.1.9 - (c) zoelechat 2015
[FakeEDID] _ZN9TDBuilder11GetTDiStoreE15TDStoreObject_k [0x6fc5e0].
[FakeEDID] _ZN9TDBuilder16GetTDiHdmiSwitchEv [0x6fc714].
[FakeEDID] _ZN8TDaStore6CreateEi [0x7ade40].
[FakeEDID] _ZN8TDaStore7DestroyEv [0x7ac05c].
[FakeEDID] dlsym '_ZN14TDsEepromStore5WriteEjjPKh' failed.
[FakeEDID] _ZN14TDsEepromStore10t_WriteDDCEjjPKh [0x7db250].
[FakeEDID] dlsym '_ZN14TDsEepromStore4ReadEjjPh' failed.
[FakeEDID] _ZN14TDsEepromStore9t_ReadDDCEjjPh [0x7db094].
[FakeEDID] _ZN18TDsPrimeHdmiSwitch11GetEDIDDataE10CDSource_kPhPt [0x7e20e4].
[FakeEDID] dlsym '_ZN13TDaHdmiSwitch11GetEDIDDataE10CDSource_kPhPt' failed.
[FakeEDID] dlsym '_ZN19PrimeHdmiSwitchBase11GetEDIDDataE10CDSource_kPhPt' failed.
[FakeEDID] lib_init, >>>
[FakeEDID] Dumping default EDID first block!
[FakeEDID] Overriding HDMI1 EDID with AC3/DTS support!
[FakeEDID] Overriding HDMI2 EDID with AC3/DTS support!
[FakeEDID] Overriding HDMI3 EDID with AC3/DTS support!
[FakeEDID] Overriding HDMI4 EDID with AC3/DTS support!
[FakeEDID] <<< lib_deinit
After that I tried to configure my Win7-PC to output DD5.1. But I wasn't able to choose any option. It was forced to Stereo. After Rebooting both (TV and PC) still the same.

For testing I decided to connect my PC directly to Soundbar with HDMI. This way now there were options and I was able to choose DD5.1 on PC
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

mmmh... If we're not talking about the same thing, it means you're not talking about the right one :D

Everything seems alright so I've no real idea. Did you try another device than your PC (and Coolstream)? I even don't know if anybody already tried successfully on F-MST...
mcbane
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mcbane »

:D
Hmm...OK. Well as a third device I have Fire-TV-Stick. But also no Dolby.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Unfortunately, I lack feedback. Anyway, on Windows PC it's easy to fake/override EDID at driver level (by cheating TV's monitor.inf). Search Google, you'll find much litterature about that...

My guess is that your EDID is well patched (if you could dump and attach one, I can confirm or not)... So, beware that you MUST use a media player with codec supporting bitstreaming and configured to do so (e.g. LAV filters or ffdshow), and TV will then offer surround output during video playback (only, not while being "on the desktop" :) ).

If still no luck, here's one ready-to-use F-MST driver patched to support DD/DTS 5.1. Go into Windows device manager, and update driver of your TV (surely "generic plug n play monitor" or something like this. If you have more than one (attached screen), check properties->details tab->Hardware ID, should be MONITOR\SAM0xxx) using that inf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcbane
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mcbane »

Hi, Thank you for the INF-File. That makes it easier for me.
I will test it later.

But for now I would prefer a working EDID-Patch.
Maybe this DUMP will help you. This DUMP should already include your Patch, so it's not the original one.

Return to “[F] Software”