Latest firmware update caused picture and other issues

Here is information about customize your F series firmware.

TheWizard

Latest firmware update caused picture and other issues

Post by TheWizard »

Hope someone can help me here. I purchased a ue40f6670 from Currys just 3 weeks ago and all has been fine up until today when I stupidly checked for updates. One was available but I can't remember my old firmware. It was either 1109 or 1009. Anyway it updated to version 1111 and now I have problems. First thing I noticed was that the Friends Picks in Social in the Smart Hub no longer loads up friends Facebook videos. I get an error message saying 'Cannot execute the required work. Please try again later.' No content found. The content loaded up prior to the update but more importantly my picture quality has become really pixelated and grainy.

I've checked all my settings and everything has been left untouched as I set them. Even on HD channels it's really grainy and fuzzy and I'm getting a lot of MPEG pixelation and noise. Edges look jagged like watching a low res picture. I can't turn on the noise filters as it flickers and blurs which is even more annoying. The firmware update messed something up and now I want to go back to my old firmware. I've not had this TV 5 minutes and I'm so annoyed that it's now unwatchable.
TheWizard

Re: Latest firmware update caused picture and other issues

Post by TheWizard »

Spoke to Samsung this morning who said they
are aware of a number of issues caused by the
latest firmware update including random shutting
down and restarting, picture flicker, smart hub
issues, On Tv guide not refreshing and apps
crashing although she said this is the first time
she's aware of picture issues. They said a fw fix isn't coming any tine soon and it wouldn't be possible to downgrade. Without question
she issued me with a returns number so I can
take it back to Currys. Apparently they have to
accept it back.

It begs the question, do Samsung not bother to
test their software before sending out their
downdates? What's even more annoying is, they
are aware of the issues yet are still putting out
the update instead of pulling it.

Got home after a replacement and after
going through the initial setup it's got the
new faulty firmware on it. Rang Samsung who
said that it was impossible for the firmware to be
already loaded on a tv that's been stuck in a shop
storeroom for weeks and said maybe it updated on setup. Turns out the tv was one of
the ones shipped in last week with the new
'faulty' firmware already installed so basically
they are now selling these tv's not fit for purpose.
So Now I'm back to Currys with the manager
trying out another tv on the test bench seeing if
we can bypass the initial setup process and get
into the menu and turn off automatic updates
before it has chance to download any new
firmware. We managed to bypass the setup process with neither an aerial or network plugged in and the firmware read v1111 which proved that all new tv's now have the bad firmware as default so an exchange wouldn't be possible as all sets are now the same. In the end I opted for a full refund as I'm still within my 28 day period. Lucky really as another week and I'd be stuck with a faulty tv possibly waiting forever for a firmware fix.

This used to be a fantastic tv but Samsung
screwed it up. My advice to anyone thinking of
buying one is don't. Anyone who has one with the
old firmware, if everything works OK do not,I
repeat DO NOT update it.
cupidsrose

Post by cupidsrose »

Hi, everybody, I am a new friend.
mastro

Post by mastro »

Hi,
i have also Problems with 1111 on my F6510

But theres a new FW on the Samsung HP 1112.2
TheWizard

Post by TheWizard »

mastro wrote:Hi,
i have also Problems with 1111 on my F6510

But theres a new FW on the Samsung HP 1112.2
Just out of interest what problems are you experiencing?

Took my tv back to currys and got an exchange for one which had firmware version 1107 which worked fine but not quite as good picture quality as the original 1009. TBH I experienced no issues with that firmware as long as Digital Clean View and MPEG Filter was turned off. When it was on I experienced flicker and picture lag breakthrough. Also had to turn Motion Control to clear as Standard setting had dreadful soap opera effect. version 1107 is occasionally a bit blurry and pixelated but nowhere near as bad as v1111/1112.

I was assured by customer services that the new 1112.2 would solve all previous issues and stupidly again I updated. Now it's not working again and is worse than before. Picture has gone very grainy, blurry at times and pixelated and the 'Social' section of the smart hub no longer loads up any content like YouTube or Facebook videos. Rang Samsung which tried to blame a server error but it was all working fine a few seconds prior to the upgrade. As soon as I updated it all stopped working and deteriation of picture quality was immediately noticeable. It's NOT a server error it's a firmware error. Youtube and Facebook videos no longer sync and show up in the social page and picture is very distorted, blurry and grainy.

I've also noticed they've changed the audio encoding. Prior to the update it showed HSP bla bla bla load of numbers and now it shows MPEG in the Broadcasting sub menu Audio Format. The new MPEG format seems a lot more full and bassier.

As far as I can tell, FW version 1112 is the same as 1111. Same issues with smart hub and poor picture quality. I don't know what they've supposed to have fixed but it's still not working. It seems that 1112 is just the USB version of the OTA 1111 version.
mastro

Post by mastro »

My Sat-Receiver is no longer listed as AnyNet+ source. if i select this port wheres the Receiver is connected i cant use the TV remote on my Receiver. I have to connect to my Receiver explicit as AnyNet device the it workes but this it not quick and easy.
Also after power on or switching to my Receiver the Sound is not the selected Format DTS or Dolby, the Sound is PCM, in the menu dts is selectet, if i Switch to PCM the Sound did not Change then i Switch back to DTS then it workes.
This Problems are since v 1111, also in 1112.2
TheWizard

Post by TheWizard »

In version 1111/1112 they changed the audio format to MPEG encoding. Don't know if that is to do with your sound problem.

They've since released version 1113 and 1114 which came out 2 days ago but it seems all they've done is address certain app issues like YouTube compatibility. Thing is Samsung never release and Fe logs so you don't actually know what they've been tinkering with. Samsung have been made aware that since upgrading from the original 1009 firmware they've created more picture issues and internet problems and other small bugs and glitches but Samsung refuse to deal with this or even admit there's a problem with the new firmware. They keep telling people they need to update but in my experience every time I've updated a Samsung product it's broke more things than it's fixed.

I've since taken it back after 3 exchanges for a full refund and the woman in Currys said that since the September update she's been having no end of customers returning their TVs due to grainy picture quality, DSE banding, motion judder, apps crashing or parts of the smart hub not working as it should and in general wore than it was when they first bought it. All of which never happened before they updated from the original firmware yet Samsung are still burying their heads in the sand over the issues with poor picture quality and parts of the smart hub not working and despite there being 3 updates since the 1111 version which screwed everything up, they still haven't rectified any of the problems.

I've decided after having a galaxy s2 which has gone worse since a recent update, which again is irreversible, as well as major screen burn after just 12 months and now this, I've decided I'm not going to bother buying another Samsung product again but it's difficult when Samsung make the majority of panels for all other manufacturers.

Their customer service team tell lies about firmware fixes that haven't fixed anything, just made things worse. Their answer to everything is do another update or try doing a factory reset and if that doesn't work (which it never does because they refuse to believe that their new firmware is faulty) their answer is to either put up with it or take it back to where I bought it from for an exchange.

Forget it Samsung. I've had it with your faulty buggy technology. Why can't they just sell something that works instead of sending stuff out faulty then doing all these updates to fix stuff that should have been sorted out prior to them going on sale? And what's with the hundreds of picture enhancements and processing tweaks? All I want is a tv that works out of the box and does what it says and has a perfect picture. Ya know, like tv's used to be before so called 'progress'.
papacap

Post by papacap »

Same with me everyone. I updated my set 4 times and each time the picture got worse. The latest update even makes the actors eyes look deformed. Anyway remember a while back when apple and Samsung got into trouble for their cell phone updates? They would make there phones run slower and look worse so that the customers would buy new ones. The same thing is happening with my Samsung gear vr headset! So I'm guessing that's what there doing to there t.v.s. plus the fact that there is absolutely no information of what the upgrade is for or that it says nothing on their website or anywhere else on the web about it is kind of fishy, all I know is that it makes everything slower and worse which leads me to believe they're doing the same things to their TVs that they did to their cell phones! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT! DO NOT UPDATE, RETURN OR BUY NEW.

Return to “[F] Firmware”