Updating firmware from another country.

Here is information about customize your F series firmware.

M11
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Updating firmware from another country.

Post by M11 »

Changing smart hub region does not effect firmware updates. I have done many updates with my Smart hub region set to US (I'm in Europe) without any problems, it still installs European firmware.

Disabling auto update in user menu does not guarantee that your TV doesn't update automatically. It really should, but it does not. My TV has updated itself twice even if I had automatic updates switched off.
F9000 + SEK-3500U
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

M11 wrote:Changing smart hub region does not effect firmware updates. I have done many updates with my Smart hub region set to US (I'm in Europe) without any problems, it still installs European firmware.
My bad, I thought we were talking about region change in service menu :)

@Timmy1024
It means anyway you won't be able to install US firmware, even manually with smarthub country set to US (moreover they're different ones: T-FXPUABC vs T-FXPAKUC)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
Timmy1024

Post by Timmy1024 »

Thanks both!

But why do I see two different update versions on the "Update" option in the menu? I'm currently in 1113 and:

- With the TV set to Argentina from the Smart HUB, I see the latest update is 1117
- With the TV set to USA from the Smart HUB, I see the latest update is 1114
(BTW The latest update in the USA web page seems to be 1203 <> 1114! Why?)

Thanks again!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Interesting find! No idea :D but I think both 1114 and 1117 are South American ones.
Did you try several times? With the same result?
Timmy1024

Post by Timmy1024 »

Yes, the results are 100% reproducible! I also though I was reading wrong the first time I noticed it, but it works systematically, every time.

I'm in the Argentina region seeing 1117 as latest update, switch to USA from Smart HUB page, restart TV and when the menu refreshes the update info (you know, it takes a while since boot up while the Update menu item is grayed out), it turns out to 1114 as the latest update.

Repeat this process in the other way (USA -> Argentina -> Restart) and the Update menu shows (again) 1117 as the latest version!
Timmy1024

Post by Timmy1024 »

So, guys... I'm in 1113 Argentina and Netflix (v4) doesn't work (it goes back to the Smart Hub on opening). It's the "original" one for my region; it's not that I've updated from somewhere else. In fact, I forced it to work by changing Smart Hub to Australia (Netflix gets deleted), then UK (v3 gets installed) and using that one, but v4 doesn't work and I've read in a couple of threads that it was because the firmware was updated.

I think that by updating the firmware this will get fixed, but you say to "never update firmware", so... what should I do? I really couldn't lose the Netflix app just to not update...

Please let me know what you think.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Except a few noticed irreversible regressions, "never update" warning is mostly given to prevent potential root blocking from Samsung. So if you don't plan to root your TV you may update, anyway I'm not sure any root method from here suits TV models from your region (needs confirmation).
Also be aware that it's possible Netflix v4 still won't work after upgrade, let us know :)
Timmy1024

Post by Timmy1024 »

Thanks zoe,

I'll have to update, I have no other choice; unless I'm planning to lose Netflix! (I don't :))

The thing is that Netflix v4 is the one that came with the TV and didn't work with the installed firmware, so if by updating it it still doesn't work, then Samsung would let buyers in the dark as the built in Netflix app wouldn't work with our TVs! That's what give me hope into thinking that it would fix it.

I'll update to 1117 Argentina (instad of 1114 USA). Do you recommend me to try and root it first in my current firmware (1113), or just try it after updating? I will even get the Donor's version if needed.

Thanks once again
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

Timmy1024 wrote:Thanks zoe,

I'll have to update, I have no other choice; unless I'm planning to lose Netflix! (I don't :))

The thing is that Netflix v4 is the one that came with the TV and didn't work with the installed firmware, so if by updating it it still doesn't work, then Samsung would let buyers in the dark as the built in Netflix app wouldn't work with our TVs! That's what give me hope into thinking that it would fix it.

I'll update to 1117 Argentina (instad of 1114 USA). Do you recommend me to try and root it first in my current firmware (1113), or just try it after updating? I will even get the Donor's version if needed.

Thanks once again
We recommend not to update at all :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

@Timmy1024
I precisely warn you because a few people here thought firmware upgrade would solve these (common) Netflix (v4) issues while it actually didn't. I don't know if Samsung or Netflix is to blame, we can assume that devs are coding with their feet on both sides.
About rooting, if we follow the logic you should be able to use public method with your current firmware and donor's method with latest/any. It's up to you to try when you want, if you need it at all, there's no risk. :)

Return to “[F] Firmware”