Changing Tuner?

This forum is for information related with F series hardware.

mungler

Changing Tuner?

Post by mungler »

Hi,

I bought a UE46F5500 from pixmania and failed to notice their warning that it would not come with Freeview HD. The TV they shipped me was a EU Benelux model, with a DVB-T tuner (no DVB-T2 for Freeview HD). I have since set the region properly via the Service menu, so the TV is properly set to UK region now. However, still no Freeview HD.

Assuming the tuner is on some kind of daughterboard that is swapped out for different regions / technologies (e.g. DVB-S vs DVB-T vs DVB-T2 etc), my questions are:

1) Is it possible to source a DVB-T2 tuner for this TV?

2) Is it easy enough to fit myself?

3) Has anyone done this?

Any help much appreciated, thanks guys.
AnthonyUK

Re: Changing Tuner?

Post by AnthonyUK »

Hi,
I have a similar issue but I'm guessing at the moment that the tuner for FreeviewHD in our TVs is OK for UK but disabled in software.
I'm looking to see in the service menu what differences in the tuner type between EU and UK models exist.

XZG - Germany

Image Image
mungler

Post by mungler »

I did wonder about that, but I suspect the DVB-T2 tuner is physically different. If some kind soul with a UK model of a similar TV could post their service menu or just tell us what Tuner type they have (ours are both SI_TCS2) that would be really helpful :)
nortyvorty

Post by nortyvorty »

Hi Mungler,

I just had a peek at my tuner (UK):

TV is Samsung UE39F5500AK, type = 39P6AF0S

Tuner is a FOX_T2C.... Full HD

Hope that helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TV = UE39F5500AK - 39P6AF0S
Blu = BD-F8900M
mungler

Post by mungler »

thanks nortyvorty - I think that tells us what we need to know - different tuner. damn.

thanks!
shaun66

Post by shaun66 »

hi i can see the fox-t2c but wen i change to it it reverts back, how did you change yours ?

thanks

shaun
mungler

Post by mungler »

yeah, same here - i can see the option and change it but it doesnt 'stick'. I suspect its not as simple as just changing the setting, and we have a physically different tuner.
nortyvorty

Post by nortyvorty »

Hi again,
My Tuner is a FOX_T2C.... this came as standard, I have not tried to alter it, I assume the TV settings actually read the installed tuner specs and tally it to those in the bios. I may be talking rubbish, but if you cannot change it, then the hardware may default back to your original setting. thus unchangeable.
TV = UE39F5500AK - 39P6AF0S
Blu = BD-F8900M
Slav

Post by Slav »

FOX_T2C:

mungler

Post by mungler »

Thanks Slav. Question for you - is this tuner part of a 'daughterboard' that could be user-replaced? Or is it soldered to the main board of the TV?

Return to “[F] Hardware”