Loading Widget without SamyGo?

General Forum talking area for H series TVs.

DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Loading Widget without SamyGo?

Post by DarkHorse »

It seems H-Series is still a work in progress so I havent been brave enough to SamyGO my TV yet.

Even though it is stock standard firmware, I am still able to load widgets onto it. For example, I created the 'develop' account, logged in and then entered a specific ip address and managed to sync / install this app without any problems. http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26635

My question is, when I try to do the same with apps I acquired from here (viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8430) I cannot get them to work. I have tried via the Sammy Widgets 1.1 App (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6560) and also installed a local web server and created the widgetlist.xml by hand.

I even went so far as to check the webserver access log and see that the TV is requesting the widgets but they do not load.

Can anyone explain why it works with the first link above, but not when I try it with widgets from my own server?
DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Loading Widget without SamyGo?

Post by DarkHorse »

Further to this, I managed to sideload BBC iPlayer onto my H-Series TV using the develop account and syncing app.

Interestingly, when running a local server it would not load the widget, but it did from a remote server.

Unless I am mistaken, it appears the TV prevents widgets being loaded from a local network.
Dream1979
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Dream1979 »

you can just put apps on a usb stick.
DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by DarkHorse »

Dream1979 wrote:you can just put apps on a usb stick.
Really? I havent seen that discussed anywhere. How does one load them?
DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by DarkHorse »

Okay, so after a quick search last night, and to my great surprise, apps indeed can be run from a usb stick. I tested this on a h-series.

Unzipped the apps I wanted onto the root of a USB drive.
Opened Smarthub.
Plugged the USB into the TV.
A window popped up asking me what content I wanted to browse.
I selected all and bang, the UK apps I had on the USB are showing within my SmartHub.
I am using a DNS redirect service so I can now watch UK TV, all from SH. Superb.

* The Widgets do not install onto the TV so the USB will need to remain plugged in.

Thanks for the tip Dream1979.
Dream1979
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Dream1979 »

I got the Idea from the rooting instruction, since the intial app also loads from USB
Wolfgan
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by Wolfgan »

Interesting, I'm on the same path of DNS services, smarthub pointed to the US but wanting to sideload some UK apps. Thanks guys for posting.

@DarkHorse, which apps were you get able to get?

Thx, Wolf
Tinkerer & owner of a UN48H6400
ZGod

Post by ZGod »

DarkHorse wrote:Unless I am mistaken, it appears the TV prevents widgets being loaded from a local network.
I actually didn't know one could get apps through USB as well. I've been using the local webserver method so far. It's strange you couldn't get it to work. Are you sure your widgetlist.xml is in the right format? It needs to be in the root directory of the webserver as well.
DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by DarkHorse »

ZGod wrote:
DarkHorse wrote:Unless I am mistaken, it appears the TV prevents widgets being loaded from a local network.
I actually didn't know one could get apps through USB as well. I've been using the local webserver method so far. It's strange you couldn't get it to work. Are you sure your widgetlist.xml is in the right format? It needs to be in the root directory of the webserver as well.
TBH, since I've learned to get the widgets running on USB, they have worked flawlessly so I haven't needed to go down the webserver route.
DarkHorse
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by DarkHorse »

Wolfgan wrote:Interesting, I'm on the same path of DNS services, smarthub pointed to the US but wanting to sideload some UK apps. Thanks guys for posting.

@DarkHorse, which apps were you get able to get?

Thx, Wolf
BBC iPlayer
ITV
4oD
5oD

Return to “[H] General”