Any good H series TVs that are not smart (e.g. no ethernet/wifi)?

General Forum talking area for H series TVs.

mad_ady
SamyGO Project Donor

Any good H series TVs that are not smart (e.g. no ethernet/wifi)?

Post by mad_ady »

I'm looking around to buy a LCD TV with good picture quality and lots of inputs. The smart features I've seen don't seem too useful for my needs (even the media player is limited). Since I've heard that newer TVs have automatic updates that may not be disabled, I was wondering if there are some non-smart TVs around (H series) that might be worth it and if SammyGo would work on them.

What I mainly want from SammyGo is the ability to block the TV (or certain channels) based on specific times. I've learned that this can be done through injection, but I'm not sure if I need a TV with smart capabilities to do this. I could add a USB to ethernet adapter and use it for remote management - I'm not sure if those dongles are supported or not.

What do you guys recommend?

Edit: So far I only found H5003 which is not smart, but only has 2 HDMI ports (and I'd like at least 4!). The alternative is a H6400, but it's more expensive and I hate paying for features I'm not going to use...
H6400, firmware 2602.2 downgraded to 2130
martysport
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Any good H series TVs that are not smart (e.g. no ethernet/wifi)?

Post by martysport »

I just bought a UE58H5200 big screen, picture seems OK and no smarts stuff at all.
It too has only 2 HDMI but I only need one (AV amp has plenty for my needs)
kileerbeets

Post by kileerbeets »

I've been wondering the same thing. Looking for a nice 32" Samy without all the intrusions.
noidodroid

Post by noidodroid »

mad_ady wrote: Sat May 30, 2015 1:55 pm I'm looking around to buy a LCD TV with good picture quality and lots of inputs. The smart features I've seen don't seem too useful for my needs (even the media player is limited). Since I've heard that newer TVs have automatic updates that may not be disabled, I was wondering if there are some non-smart TVs around (H series) that might be worth it and if SammyGo would work on them.

What I mainly want from SammyGo is the ability to block the TV (or certain channels) based on specific times. I've learned that this can be done through injection, but I'm not sure if I need a TV with smart capabilities to do this. I could add a USB to ethernet adapter and use it for remote management - I'm not sure if those dongles are supported or not.

What do you guys recommend?

Edit: So far I only found H5003 which is not smart, but only has 2 HDMI ports (and I'd like at least 4!). The alternative is a H6400, but it's more expensive and I hate paying for features I'm not going to use...
[2 year bump]

By H series and the H5003 ...UN40H5003 ?

If so this is a great little TV I have been using mine and streaming to it via DLNA and similar for a while. So far no mods yet just gained service mode last night. Eager to "safely" mod it.

What made you decide to go with the H6400? I got mine as a gift and I am very pleased to have it. First TV in my collection I will have really mod'd. Only things I dont like about it are the fact there is no other audio out ports besides the toslink and that it has no ethernet abilities AFAIK. You mentioned usb to ethernet which is interesting and would be something if i could flash firmware to a model that supports it. As of right now I am hardwired down from modem to router to an old 5 port linksys 10/100 switch which serves as my media distribution outlet for DLNA .. streaming, games etc. Blueray / Xbox / Dish - DVR (havent got into modding these yet.. toyed with cards 2003 for a summer) / PC Media Box (now upstream from there and still being setup as i get time). I would use wifi but i have no adapters setup and im old school. I trust cat5E/6 over wifi when it comes to reliability. I read somewhere about modding my Sung BD-C5500 Blueray player too. Ability to modify and use any? or maybe it is select models of usb wifi adapters instead of theirs. Back to the H5003 I like the fact too that its not 100% smart. Dont get me wrong i love my Samsung 60" smart TV but this serves me well for my Den / Office / Workshop and i have to worry less about possible IoT's ha ha. Dont get me started on that topic. Picture in Picture would be nice to get on this H5003 and the ability to attach a powered hub and add more than one usb drive would be even better. I already attempted this but with no luck. (Hardware and Software limitations I believe).. I haven't looked into it 100% yet. I have too many projects as is. Hope to though maybe throughout this fall after learning about every mode and setting etc. Cant really afford to brick this TV. Already working on bricked cell phones right now. One accidental and 2 already bricked.

Anyway I dont mean to steal this thread away from you. Just a first post and describing a bit about what my setup is like currently. Curious to know what you and others are doing with their H series.
mad_ady
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mad_ady »

What made you decide to go with the H6400?
The ability to root it was the selling point for me :D

Here's what I've been doing with it (apart from using a lot of the libraries for SamyGO on the forum):
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=11882

I'm not using the smart bits almost at all (apart from youtube from time to time), but I use ssh and the SamyGO customizations (unencrypted PVR) a lot.
Not sure if TVs without SmartHub can be rooted with current methods. Also, adding USB-Ethernet adapters depends on kernel modules and with Samsung's locked down kernel are hard to pull off.
H6400, firmware 2602.2 downgraded to 2130

Return to “[H] General”