Problem found with OTN Support "OFF"

Here is information about customize your H series firmware.

MikeyBoy

Problem found with OTN Support "OFF"

Post by MikeyBoy »

I have found a problem with turning the option "OTN Support" to "OFF" in the Service menu.

After doing this, every time when i turn the TV off, it silently turns itself back on after about 20 seconds, without showing a picture or any sound. The red standby LED even stays on!

I only noticed it because my external hard drive spun up and my soundbar turned on (it got a signal over HDMI with ARC). When i press the power button, the boot logo is not shown, it directly goes to a TV channel. This shows that it was really still running, just not showing anything on the screen.

The TV did this every time i turned it off. After a short while, the HDD spun up and the soundbar got a signal from the TV. But the picture stayed off.

I tried every option in the normal menus that could be the cause of this, but nothing helped. Then i thought, maybe it's OTN Support OFF. I turned it back to ON and what can i say, finally the TV stays completely off when i turn it off.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Edit:
OTN Support "OFF" is the problem that causes this behaviour. Solution: Set OTA Support to "OFF" as well, apparently.
See viewtopic.php?f=77&t=8406&start=30#p66585
Last edited by MikeyBoy on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Problem found with OTN Support "OFF"

Post by sectroyer »

MikeyBoy wrote:I have found a problem with turning the option "OTN Support" to "OFF" in the Service menu.

After doing this, every time when i turn the TV off, it turns itself back on after about 20 seconds, but without picture or sound, and the red standby LED stays on! I only noticed it because my external hard drive spun up and my soundbar turned on (it got a signal over HDMI with ARC).

The TV did this every time i turned it off. After a short while, the HDD spun up and the soundbar got a signal from the TV. But the picture stayed off.

I tried every option in the normal menus that could be the cause of this, but nothing helped. Then i thought, maybe it's OTN Support OFF. I turned it back to ON and what can i say, finally the TV stays completely off when i turn it off.

Can anyone else confirm this?
First of all you didn't even inform what model do you use. However I can inform you that for multiple users with OTN Support set to OFF nothing strange happens :) Maybe you should try setting it back to OFF ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
MikeyBoy

Post by MikeyBoy »

I have a UE55H6290. As i said, i narrowed it down to this setting, i already tried everything else before.

edit: It's also hard to notice if you don't happen to look at your HDD lights or notice that your soundbar turns on again. Because on the TV, the standby light stays on, and there's no image or sound. But the tuner is activated, because when you then press Power, it shows the TV channel immediately, and no boot logo.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

MikeyBoy wrote:I have a UE55H6290. As i said, i narrowed it down to this setting, i already tried everything else before.

edit: It's also hard to notice if you don't happen to look at your HDD lights or notice that your soundbar turns on again. Because on the TV, the standby light stays on, and there's no image or sound. But the tuner is activated, because when you then press Power, it shows the TV channel immediately, and no boot logo.
As I have said try setting it to OFF once again :) And I know what you mean :P This mode is used for instance when PVR is in progress it might have ben coincidence ;) Anyway I tested it on two H TVs with (almost) the same model as yours. NO SUCH ISSUE. If nothing helps leave OTN OFF and request warranty :) Your TV might be broken :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
MikeyBoy

Post by MikeyBoy »

Of course i checked PVR, there were no recordings queued.

I can only tell you what i found. This option caused it for me, nothing else. The TV is brand new, bought this month.

For you, this problem doesn't happen, ok, thank you for testing. Maybe other people can test this as well. Turn your TV off, wait a minute to check if your external HDD turns on or any other signs of activity. Then maybe try to turn the TV on and see if there's no "Smart TV" boot logo like usual. Thank you.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

MikeyBoy wrote:Of course i checked PVR, there were no recordings queued.

I can only tell you what i found. This option caused it for me, nothing else. The TV is brand new, bought this month.

For you, this problem doesn't happen, ok, thank you for testing. Maybe other people can test this as well. Turn your TV off, wait a minute to check if your external HDD turns on or any other signs of activity. Then maybe try to turn the TV on and see if there's no "Smart TV" boot logo like usual. Thank you.
It's not that there is no issue ONLY for me :) There is no such issue for ANYONE on this forum. In your place I would set OTN back to OFF and check if the issue persist... If it does call samsung and request replacement :) You should NOT experience such issue :) It might be a tip of an iceberg !!! Replace TV as soon as possible before something worse happens :)
MikeyBoy

Post by MikeyBoy »

Amazing that you can speak for everyone on this forum. Also, i think you're trying to make fun of me now. I have told you already that this function caused this problem for me. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the TV whatsoever. Please don't reply anymore, i know your opinion now, i want to hear from someone else.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

MikeyBoy wrote:Amazing that you can speak for everyone on this forum. Also, i think you're trying to make fun of me now. I have told you already that this function caused this problem for me. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the TV whatsoever. Please don't reply anymore, i know your opinion now, i want to hear from someone else.
You will not order me when to reply and when to not :P You have 29 posts and I have almost 2k ;) Really I have helped now probably few hundreds of users with disabling OTN Support and disabled it myself on many TVs including 3 H TVs with same (or almost the same) model as yours so really I am not making fun but speaking the truth :P If you switched OTN Support OFF once and then you had problems it might be some hardware/software glitch but if you tried 3-5 times and it's consistent and every time you set OTN Support to OFF your problem comes back then your TV is (probably) broken and I would suggest asking for replacement. You might not like it but that's the truth ;)
MikeyBoy

Post by MikeyBoy »

It's not about the number of posts or the status on a forum. I am the head administrator on another forum with 100,000+ users and i have over 2000 posts there myself. But if someone would post a problem like this, i would not say that his TV is broken, i would try to find a possible reason for this. I have tried every other option in the normal menus that i set differently from the defaults, and nothing changed the fact that the TV silently turned on by itself. But once i changed OTN support back to ON, it never turned itself on by itself again.

If i ask for a replacement based on this, do you think they would give me one? No. Is it broken in any way for normal use? No. Does some internal service menu setting introduce a problem? Probably. But we'll never find out cause i guess my TV is just broken. Alright then, close the thread.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

MikeyBoy wrote:It's not about the number of posts or the status on a forum. I am the head administrator on another forum with 100,000+ users and i have over 2000 posts there myself. But if someone would post a problem like this, i would not say that his TV is broken, i would try to find a possible reason for this. I have tried every other option in the normal menus that i set differently from the defaults, and nothing changed the fact that the TV silently turned on by itself. But once i changed OTN support back to ON, it never turned itself on by itself again.

If i ask for a replacement based on this, do you think they would give me one? No. Is it broken in any way for normal use? No. Does some internal service menu setting introduce a problem? Probably. But we'll never find out cause i guess my TV is just broken. Alright then, close the thread.
I asked you (including this one time) three times did you test it ONCE or "FEW" times ? Overtime changing ONLY this option? Also yes. If you leave OTN Support OFF and show that TV doesn't switch itself off they will give you replacement or replace the board :) At least that's how it's done in my "third world country" ;)

Return to “[H] Firmware”