OTA UPDATE Concern UE40H6400

Here for general support for H series TVs, request and problem solve area.

maxsuper

OTA UPDATE Concern UE40H6400

Post by maxsuper »

Hi All.
I have a 3 month old UE40H6400 which I am fairly happy with.
I am running 2770 firmware that gives a good sharp clear picture with acceptable judder and blur with AMP on Clear and Film Mode Off.
So I do not want the firmware to update as I know Samsung can really screw things up and can ruin picture quality.
I know all the warnings about going into 'Service menu' so I don't want to do this as my tv has a 5 year warrantee and I just know I WILL screw it up and brick my tv.
I have set the auto update option in the user menu to off.
I don't need to worry about OTN update as the tv is not connected to the internet. The router is blocking the tv.
I will never connect the tv to the internet I just want a tv so I can watch tv !!!!
I receive my tv signal through an ariel and receive the Freeview service here in UK.
For the last week I now get a message on my tv after turn on saying "A new software update is available, update now?" It's Update 2781.
So it seems that the tv has received the latest update from the Freeview service and I guess has this new version stored on the tv eeprom chip?

So, my questions are.
1:Will my tv eventually update to 2781 even if I keep ignoring the message or telling it not to update?
2:Will Samsung eventually force the update know as an update Rape ! ?
3:Is the new firmware stored in the tv on a memoy chip?

I really hate that Samsung do this. I believe that they might start to make the picture quality slightly worse after a few years with each update to make you buy a newer tv. If they did this gradually then few people would notice and perhaps just think the tv is getting old - 'I must buy a new one'.
I am so reluctant to go into 'Service Menu' as i understand the recent firmwares have put OTA and OTN Support in the hidden menu which needs 3SPEED + Factory keys which despite hours of research I don't understand. I can't risk bricking the tv.
Can anyone answer my questions.
Thanks.
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: OTA UPDATE Concern UE40H6400

Post by sectroyer »

maxsuper wrote:Hi All.
I am running 2770 firmware that gives a good sharp clear picture with acceptable judder and blur with AMP on Clear and Film Mode Off.
1108 gives even better picture quality :D Anyway I KNEW disabling OTA was a good idea :D :lol: I think your TV does NOT update ONLY because 2781 might NOT be "forced update" but if you are getting OTA updates sooner or later your TV WILLL UPDATE!!!
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
maxsuper

Post by maxsuper »

Ok. Thanks for that sectroyer.
I really can't risk messing with this tv just yet, as its so new.
I will let you know if the update is forced.
You say 1108 has better picture quality. Thats interesting. Is the motion better?
I would love to route this tv so I might look on ebay for a BN41-02156A main board from a UE40H6400 and then donate to you so I can route that and try 1108.
If it goes wrong I just replace original board and tv works again, yes?
It can't damage the t-con board or power board can it? All the configuration is only on the main board?

Yes, I will get a board on ebay and report back.
Max.
ZGod

Post by ZGod »

Really, the service menu is not that big of a deal. You won't screw things up easily. I've disabled OTA/OTN on three different TVs now and never had any issues. The risk of something getting damaged by letting the TV update itself is far greater than the risk you face to brick it by accessing the service menu.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

maxsuper wrote:I would love to route this tv so I might look on ebay for a BN41-02156A
BN41-xxxx is M/B design, different references from same design might be compatible but not 100% warranted. Right reference is BN94-xxxx.
maxsuper wrote:If it goes wrong I just replace original board and tv works again, yes?
Yes, it's even very easy to replace, but you won't have to. Can still be a good idea to own a spare M/B though, even if not needed at first sight...
maxsuper wrote:It can't damage the t-con board or power board can it?
It depends, TV might explode in some cases, but quite rare :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
maxsuper

Post by maxsuper »

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Return to “[H] Support”