UHD programs recording not allowed

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

xrandom

UHD programs recording not allowed

Post by xrandom »

I bought a Samsung Smart TV about 8 months ago. It's an european model: UE78HU8500

I am not one of those hardware/software enthusiasts who "play" 24/7 with their device, so until now I simply used my TV just for watching my favourite programs after a first approximation work on the settings.
But owing to my experience with the computers world I did not put the device online: I did not feel that need and I was too lazy to implement the proper "protections", and too suspicious to leave it open to automatic updates (like firmware and so on).
So my firmware is still the original T-GFP9DEUC-1160.9

Well, some days ago I found the news (I know, it's an old news... ) that Eutelsat Hotbird 13 broadcasts 4K test programs, and so I played a little with the settings until I could tune it.
At one point I found something I liked and I pressed the "record" button.
You likely already know what I got: "UHD programs recording not allowed".

Quite crazy, given that a Samsung TV is, about the recordings, a "closed system": they cannot go out of the originating TV and be watched (officially, of course, but we are talking about official Samsung behaviors, so the rest "doesn't exist").
And double crazy if one keeps in mind that HD programs get recorded.

So, at this point I wanted to ask: in your knowledge, it's a firmware problem or a hardware problem ?
Because in the second case if for the TV it's impossible to record UHD streams,we can only wait for future hardware updates; in the second case we can hope that something else will happen (or maybe already happened but I didn't know it :-).
rejected

Re: UHD programs recording not allowed

Post by rejected »

What is more, my HU6900 does not allow recording od Full HD shows when DVB-T broadcasted in HEVC (1080p) mode !!
mad_ady
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by mad_ady »

Could be limited by the speed writing the data to disk, considering you are writing high-bitrate data to a maybe generic usb device. When making a recording disk the tv checks the read/write rate and should complain if it's too slow. Try with a ssd attached
H6400, firmware 2602.2 downgraded to 2130
rejected

Post by rejected »

There is a USB 3.0 socket with HU6900 series which is fast enough with USB 3.0 pendrive attached.
Added:
Wow, JU7000 records UHD (4k) programs on USB stick (actually I stick 128 GB SDXC flash memory card with USB 3.0 card reader) :P

Return to “[H] Brainstorm”