Samsung Accidental MICOM Upgrade

Information, questions and any other thing related with A series.

juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: Samsung Accidental MICOM Upgrade

Post by juusso »

*almost same* because this is upgrade file which comes with new firmware. I found instruction what steps to perform to upgrade micom w/o brick. Exactly your mentioned file is used :)
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Some additional info looking at TV code, dunno if of any use, TV even checks for file on USB (sda/sda1/sdb/sdb1) prior to take it from internal /mtd_exe.
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Check code whe upgrade micom firmware is triggered in service menu. According info, It should check for file on usb.
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

alexsmith
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by alexsmith »

juusso wrote:@alexsmith or @jorgeLab, can you make dump of that winbond chip directly and compare to dump of weltrend firmware you've used to flash wt61p8 with postal2?
I guess you should get very interesting result.

Or maybe if you have postal, can you make dump via vga port and compare it to firmware you get from winbond chip?
This might be too newbie, but what is postal?
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Any programmer you ever use to dump spi flash of weltrend firmware. Thanks ,)

P.s saying "postal" i've meant this

juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

jorgeLab wrote:<...>Does this work with a "exlink cable" or a " arduino mega + shield ethernet"?
I did some research on this topic. A piece of theory: Weltrend has internal SPI flash (64Kb), containing firmware, which can be flashed only after sending some "verrification" codes via I2C line. After you send proper codes, weltrend switches to In-system programming (ISP) mode. Also weltrend can work with external SPI flash via I2C line, and some models have winbond 25q40 spi flash. For example WT61P8 can be turned to ISP programming mode by sending two sequences of 6 bytes each via standard I2C protocol AND after connection some 3 bytes code is required tho. (more here).

Othervise weltrend does not drop you to ISP mode and you can not flash it via just hooking your arduino SDA/SDL/GND wires to corresponding lines on weltrend chip. But in theory if we have sketch which can initiate proper connection to this chip, we could read/flash weltrend`s firmware with help of arduino/raspbery.

Important, that WT61P805, which we have on most B to F series TV`s ( while WT61P8 is used on LG, Philips some Toshibas and maybe other) has reduced internal SPI flash size (48Kb) and before to flash, dump must be reduced (removing empty code) to adjust size. Else flashing error occurs w/o chance to reflash firmware.

Different weltrend chips have different internal SPI flash: WT61P805 - 48Kb (49152), WT61P806 - 64Kb (65536), WT61P806_60K - 60Kb (61440 bytes).

With help of programmators like postal2/rt809f and other it is enough to connect TV via VGA (or D_SUB if you like). The pinout is: GND-10, SDA-12, SCL-15. Even HDMI is ok for this goal. TV must be in standby mode to have power on all required chips.

Use of arduino as ISP programmer is possible, we just need proper sketch, "handshaking" signal for weltrend. Some hints it is possible on arduino website: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP
Some useful links
SpoilerShow
@oga83, @sbav1, can you contribute?

pavlik1

Post by pavlik1 »

hello

my TV is dead, only A5V is present. The content of 24C512 seems ok.
Can someone send me a dump of the Winbond eeprom?

TV is UE50F6470

thanks in advance
danieltorresdub

Post by danieltorresdub »

Hi, everyone. I know this issue is too old. But I was in trouble with that same situation.

All what I did was wait. The TV turned itself off and turned on again.

I hope this help anyone.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Daniel, after reboot tv was ok?
How long it took until reboot?

Brian1960

Post by Brian1960 »

Just a quick note.
I did the same thing to mine but after waiting a bit and I think checking hdmi inputs the one that was on at the time of the mishap still works.
So basically I have a 60 inch monitor now with no functions but as I have a surround sound with many hdmi inputs I've been able to live with it quite nicely and and have since bought the main board for it.
I'm a bit scared to to the main board swap with it still working but it would be nice to get the antenna back into the tv and or 3d option again at some point.

Return to “A Series”