Disabling OSD on J5205

General forum talking area for J series TVs.

jclarke0000

Disabling OSD on J5205

Post by jclarke0000 »

Hello

I've been working on a Smart Mirror project using a Samsung J5205 32" TV behind a piece of two-way mirror, controlled by a Raspberry Pi. I'm using motion sensor to bring the TV out of standby, and a timer to shut it down again using CEC commands issued from the Pi. This works reliably for me.

However, when the TV comes out of standby, a banner appears across the top of the screen with the input and time. I'd rather this banner not appear at all. So my questions are as follows:

Generally speaking, is the OSD something that can be disabled using SammyGO firmware?

Given that my TV is only a month old, the firmware is likely the latest and prevents installation of SammyGo, but do I even need SammyGO for this? Is this something instead that I can change in the service menu? I've tried many options where I could safely assume no adverse affects, but I don't really want to touch options that have cryptic names, unless I know specifically what they do.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide insight!

- Jeff
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: Disabling OSD on J5205

Post by juusso »

IIRC such ability does not exist by default. Here is no setting in service menu being responsible for OSD on/off.
What could be done is to patch particular OSD out (exists on other series, but not for J), like libHideVarious B/C/D/E/F/H library:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9073#p73697
@zoelechat ?
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Well no idea what's that "banner across the top of the screen with the input and time", except if it's simply expected current source info... Any screenshot? :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
jclarke0000

Post by jclarke0000 »

zoelechat wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:15 am Well no idea what's that "banner across the top of the screen with the input and time", except if it's simply expected current source info...
Yeah it's exactly this. I'm trying to suppress that.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Well TV is just remembering you on which source you are, in case you forgot :)
Nothing can be done out-of-the-box imho, and there's unfortunately no root available for your model...
jclarke0000

Post by jclarke0000 »

Thanks that's what I had thought, but it never hurts to ask!
jclarke0000

Post by jclarke0000 »

Hey one more thought... in the regular menu there is an ECO option that instructs the TV to shut itself down when no input is detected on the HDMI. This can be set to 15 minutes or longer... is there a way to set this to immediate though the service menu?
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

mmh no, 0 is disabled, you expect too much service menu to be tweak menu. If you need "instant" off, you usually use CEC (if it wants to work correctly :) )
dirkie

Post by dirkie »

Hey jclarke0000,
have you found a solution? I am facing the same problem with this feature on my J4570. :/
Regards.

Return to “[J] General”