Auto select DTS or DD

Here is information about customize your J series firmware.

yakar

Auto select DTS or DD

Post by yakar »

Hey,

I have a hard disk with movies attached to the USB port, and I use the TV's built-in media player to play movies often, with the sound being output via optical out to my AV receiver (I don't use the TV's speakers at all). The media player can output dolby digital or DTS fine, and the recevier can auto detect the streams correctly. However, if I've set the sound output (via tools) to DD from one movie, then begin to watch something else encoded in DTS, it defaults to PCM. If I watch another DD movie, it's fine. I have an equal amount of stuff encoded in DD and DTS, so I have to switch pretty often.

What I don't understand is why the media player can't just auto-switch between DD and DTS output on the digital out? I always have to go to the tools menu and switch it manually
rakuri
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Auto select DTS or DD

Post by rakuri »

as far as i know.

-the TV cant auto-switch
-it cant pass trough DTS-MA and TrueHD (even not with ARC).
-DTS will only streamed 2.0 in ARC

Please correct me if I am wrong
rakuri
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Auto select DTS or DD

Post by rakuri »

I have played a little with the sound.

In the manual is written that our TV is only licensed to Dolby Digital Plus and DTS 5.1 (also DTS-X for headphone).
(My TV JS8590)

that means for us: No TrueHD and no DTS HD-MA.
So also it should No Atmos and No DTS-X

But DD+ can handle up to 7.1 and also carry Dolby Atmos infomations.
DD+ can only be streamed over ARC, not over Toslink.

To the problem with the automatic switch:
If you look a video on your usb drive, the information on the tv says always that the audio is: Dolby digital or Dolby digital +
Even when a dts source is playing and you set the audio output in the config to dts, the TV still still in the info that the audio is Dolby Digital
Thats the main problem for the automatic switch i think.

Return to “[J] Firmware”