UE40C6000 - reset/clear thumbnail cache

Support for C series TVs that all user could ask. Please do not ask a questions at other forums.

erratic

UE40C6000 - reset/clear thumbnail cache

Post by erratic »

Hello,

(please dont :roll: at the subject...)

This is about the only really technical expert forum I have found that might answer my question.

I am sure you have seen this question already asked a few times :oops: but I have not really seen any answer that helps me, so please don't be too hard on me. Really, I have searched. I even saw something about a thumbnail cleaner app, but I don't understand it. (I'm not a programmer nor linux sysadmin of any kind).

My problem is obviously that my TV has stopped creating these thumbnails. I watch videos & movies directly from a HDD plugged into USB1.

1) I would like to understand where these thumbnails are stored. Is the cache indeed stored on the TV on some flash or SSD, or hidden somewhere on the USB device itself? I have the impression the TV has a cache per USB device because when I connect another HDD it starts generating new thumbs.

2) Is it possible to reset/clear the thumbnail cache just with operating the remote control?
(I know it is possible to reset, from what I learned from reading erdem_ua's comments, but it seems you kind of must know how to hack into the TV)

Hope you can help me out.

Thanks.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Re: UE40C6000 - reset/clear thumbnail cache

Post by juusso »

yes, you have to get root. login to TV via telnet client and delete some files inside.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
erratic

Post by erratic »

i was afraid of that, yes.

should i be surprised samsung didn't really think through this kind of software management ?
i find it hard to believe their approach was "we'll just fill up all the space and then stop working".
sectroyer
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by sectroyer »

erratic wrote:i was afraid of that, yes.

should i be surprised samsung didn't really think through this kind of software management ?
i find it hard to believe their approach was "we'll just fill up all the space and then stop working".
You would be surprised how stupid mistakes Samsung makes :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
erratic

Post by erratic »

Hello, some feedback,

I received an answer from Samsung with 3 Suggestions

(1) Format the HDD.

So, I made a copy of its contents, formatted the drive completely with another file system (NTFS instead of FAT32), and then copied the contents back on it.

Well... NO CHANGE.

From my experiments I can conclude the following regarding how the Samsung software manages the thumbnails and last playing position:

- It keeps a table or database which classifies the entries by a HDD ID that is persistent.
- That table / database is capable of storing a fixed number of entries for which it stores the above mentioned data.
- Once the table is full, no new entries are stored and there is no mechanism of purging/deleting old entries.
- If you change the name of a file/video on your HDD (and plug it back into the TV (and play it)), it will simply add another entry for that HDD, if its "table" is not full yet.

The only solution I have so far (without trying to reset the TV) is to use a different HDD because then it would generate a new table linked to that new HDD ID.

They also suggested (2) and (3) but that would imply losing my settings.
So I took quick pictures of all my settings and went ahead...

(2) Reset the TV

1-Press the Source Button on the TV remote control and select TV.

2-Hold down the Exit Button on the TV remote control until you get a message saying ?Reset all settings back to default values".

3-Press OK to confirm the message, and the TV will turn off.

4-Turn TV back on and proceed with the Initial Setup Process.

---> IT WORKED !

Before the reset, I had formatted my HDD again (FAT32) and put a video that I had never played before, to confirm the problem was there: indeed, after playing, no thumbnail was generated, and no "resume" position was recorded.

Then I did the reset as described above. I reconfigured everything to my previous settings.
With the HDD still in place I played the same video and stopped after a few minutes, and there it was: thumbnail !
And when I pressed play I could again press "D" to resume where I left off.

Problem solved.

I am glad as I really didn't feel like risking the upgrade of (3)
(3) Update the firmware

Please follow the below link and steps:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE40C6000RKXXU

1. Kindly download the firmware file from Samsung website to your computer.

2. Then connect the USB Memory Drive to the USB port of your PC. Copy the file onto the USB Memory Drive.

3. After that go to the USB Memory Drive, and then double click the file.

4. Then Click the 'Install' button.

5. The file will be installed

6. Please Confirm that a folder containing the firmware files has been added to the USB memory drive.

7. Then please safely disconnect the USB memory drive by right clicking the green check mark on the Task-bar, and then left clicking ?Safely Remove'.

8. After that Insert the USB Memory Drive containing the firmware into the USB port of TV.

9. Now, kindly Press the MENU button, select Support, Software Upgrade and then 'By USB'.
erratic

Post by erratic »

To sum up :

SOLUTION for the problem described in this post:

0 - Make sure you record all your settings if you have fine-tuned your TV.
Write them down or take pictures of the various screens.

1 - Press the Source Button on the TV remote control and select TV.

2 - Hold down the Exit Button on the TV remote control until you get a message saying ?Reset all settings back to default values".

3 - Press OK to confirm the message, and the TV will turn off.

4 - Turn TV back on and proceed with the Initial Setup Process.

Return to “[C] Support”