Please help troubleshoot (LE46C750)

Support for C series TVs that all user could ask. Please do not ask a questions at other forums.

Freppe

Please help troubleshoot (LE46C750)

Post by Freppe »

I have managed to damage my LE46C750, and now I could use some help in troubleshooting the issue. What happened was as follows:

- I entered Internet@TV for the first time in years since I wanted to try a new app.
- I was informed that there were updates that had to be done.
- The updates to the apps started but got stuck after some time, and after waiting for a rather long time with no progress I pulled the power plug (TV did not respond to the remote or the power button on the front panel).
- The same process repeated itself, and it got stuck again.
- After pulling the power for the second time the TV had a problem.

The symptoms are, I can view video fine via the HDMI input as I normally do (I use an external set top box), and the picture is fine. However, if I enter the menu the colors are all wrong and I can barely see the text in the menu because of this. Most settings in the menu can't be changed or will hang/reboot the TV if I attempt to change them.

I have tried doing a factory reset, with no improvement. The reset caused my settings to go back to defaults, but the menu issue is still the same. I also wanted to try a firmware update since I figured it might be a problem with corrupt software that I hoped would be fixed by updating, but the TV will not allow me to update from USB.

So, as I am a bit of a novice at TV hacking/repairing I was hoping that I could get some help here in troubleshooting this to figure out what the cause of the problem is. I am fine with ordering a new main board and replacing this for example, but before I do that I would like to be sure that this would really fix the problem and that it is not in some other component.

The following picture illustrates the issue with the menu, showing the nearly white background color instead of the normally dark menus.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d06dbv8lwhm2e ... 4.jpg?dl=0

I hope that someone recognizes this issue and can let me know what the likely cause is so I know what to fix. Thanks in advance.
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Please help troubleshoot (LE46C750)

Post by beatfreak »

did you start the factory reset via service menu or normal menu?
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //
FYI: you can close your ssh session with SamyGO with

Code: Select all

~.
If you can't fix it using dvct tape, you are not using enough dvct tape.
Freppe

Post by Freppe »

I have done it two ways. First time was via service menu, and the second time was via pressing the exit key for a long time.

I can also add that another symptom that I'm having is that the TV is turning itself on from standby at what seems like random times.

By the way, sorry for my late response, I shouldn't have started this thread just before going on a 4-day trip.
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by beatfreak »

you culd try to hack/root your tv and then switch to your second firmware partition
here
after creating the Version.0 / .1 file you are not only able to downgrade your fw, you also have a new option in standard menu available to choose "alternative firmware"
Last edited by beatfreak on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
//UE40C6500 @ T-VALDEUC 3011 // rooted manual HotelMode style // PVR to NFS via 18MB on-the-fly sparse XFS //

~.
Freppe

Post by Freppe »

Interesting, I will try that and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
Freppe

Post by Freppe »

Again I have to apologise for my slow response times, summer suddenly delivered a few weeks of great weather which reduced my interest in trying to fix my TV for a while. :)

Anyway, I have now tried to upgrade to the version from the wiki as suggested and unfortunately it seems that the TV is just too messed up to even allow me to try. I do get it to pop up the media play/software upgrade dialog when I enter a USB stick, but I'm then unable to select anything and if I just hit enter the TV will reboot. Same problem when messing around in the menus trying to get an upgrade started, will just reboot after a bit.

Do you think getting a new main board will fix my issues? Would there be any problems getting a new main board configured if I get one with the exact same model as I currently have?
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by beatfreak »

a new mainboard will most likely fix your issue.

keep in mind that your tv will only accept a newer firmware than the one installed, and the latest versions do not accept the 0000 firmware from wiki, so if you had for example 3018.1 installed you need to root your tv in order to downgrade your fw

~.
Freppe

Post by Freppe »

I did not have the 3018 firmware in the TV. I don't recall right now which firmware I had, but I remember checking and finding that it was earlier than the 3018 version I saw mentioned in the wiki.

Having checked inside the TV it looks like what I'm looking for is a BN41-01423B, I will look around the web and order one, looks easy enough to replace.
beatfreak
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by beatfreak »

looks like bn94-03388B is also compatibe

~.

Return to “[C] Support”