Ideas about blocking autoupdates AFTER root

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

szt

Ideas about blocking autoupdates AFTER root

Post by szt »

Let's talk about some possible ways to block FW updates from samsung AFTER you have root.

For example, you can set invalid network settings (DNS, IP, subnet mask, gateway etc.) and make some additional script in samygo, which will do two simple steps after root:
  1. disable autoupdating functionality
  2. change all network settings to correct one (and those changes should not be saved. I mean, after reboot your TV should start with invalid network setting and some script from samygo should change it every time and do it only AFTER disabling autoupdates)
So if you have root, you will never get any updates because all autoupdating functionality will be disabled BEFORE internet access (no need block-on-router stuff anymore). And if root stop working for some reason, you don't get any updates because root is needed to change network setting, and initial network settings are invalid.
bugficks
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Ideas about blocking autoupdates AFTER root

Post by bugficks »

i ve suggested long ago to install dnsmasq on tv, fixed ip settings and dns ip to ip of tv
as long as they use names and not ips and we catch all hosts w/ dnsmasq that should do the trick
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Well, whatever you prepare "on shutdown for next reboot", there will always be the case where TV *unexpectedly* shutdown (=crash), so not sure anything could be fully reliable in any way :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

ALL our stuff starts AFTER tv tries to install updates. Really blocking on tv means doing NOTHING :)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!
bugficks

Post by bugficks »

bla bla bla
szt

Post by szt »

bugficks wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 am i ve suggested long ago to install dnsmasq on tv, fixed ip settings and dns ip to ip of tv
as long as they use names and not ips and we catch all hosts w/ dnsmasq that should do the trick
My K series TV with invalid DNS settings trying to use some google public DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) (checked in wireshark) so probably using only wrong DNS is not enought
bugficks

Post by bugficks »

heh, morons
well then it has to be invalid gateway and some ifconfig/route script that fixes it. anyways lan and wifi has to be taken care of
szt

Post by szt »

zoelechat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:47 am Well, whatever you prepare "on shutdown for next reboot", there will always be the case where TV *unexpectedly* shutdown (=crash), so not sure anything could be fully reliable in any way :)
And after crash it will start with wrong network setting and will fail to do autoupdating.
Let me explain. Linux distributions have some configuration file with network setting (for example, in Fedora Linux you have it in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory) and if you edit this config (manually or using some GUI) you will get this network config after every boot. But if you change network setting using ifconfig or ip command, then after reboot your settings will be taken from configs, which was unchanged
sectroyer wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:16 am ALL our stuff starts AFTER tv tries to install updates. Really blocking on tv means doing NOTHING :)
TV will fail to get any updates because wrong settings. It will get good network settings only AFTER root and AFTER killing all autoupdating crap in TV :D
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

No worry, I finally understood the principle: free network with root...
resolv.conf could be the simplest clue imho :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
sectroyer

Post by sectroyer »

szt wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 pm TV will fail to get any updates because wrong settings. It will get good network settings only AFTER root and AFTER killing all autoupdating crap in TV :D
ONLY if they are stupid enough to NOT use DHCP ;)
I do NOT support "latest fw" at ALL. If you have one you should block updates on router and wait for it to STOP being "latest":)
If you want me to help you please paste FULL log(s) to "spoiler"/"code" bbcodes or provide link(s) to pasted file(s) on https://pastebin.com Otherwise "NO HELP"!!!
If you want root DISABLE internet access to your device!!!!
DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE !!!!

Return to “[J] Brainstorm”