Hdmi uhd color

General forum talking area for K series TVs.

fits79

Hdmi uhd color

Post by fits79 »

Hi.

Why at my samsung ue43ku6000 with firmware 1150 doesn't show me at all hdmi ports(1 - 3) the choice to enable or disable that?

I have connect
hdmi1 -> pc
hdmi2 -> xbox360
hdmi3 -> xbox one

Why is this happening?

The normal doesn't be to can choose to all 3 hdmi ports this uhd color?
Quadie5Ny

Re: Hdmi uhd color

Post by Quadie5Ny »

I know on the KU6300 only HDMI1 supports UHD color. Maybe the KU6000 doesn't support UHD color at all?
MIRONFLORINVIRGIL

Post by MIRONFLORINVIRGIL »

I have a ue55ku6100 .Only Hdmi 1 has the option to enable UHD color .It is not a problem of the 1150 firmware.I've bougth this tv 6 months ago and it is like this from since.None of the 3 devices you listed support uhd.Uhd makes sense only if a 4k outputing device is connected.If you connect a normal 1080p full HD device it will downgrade the quality of the displayed image.So i recommend you keep disabled even the hdmi 1.
MIRONFLORINVIRGIL

Post by MIRONFLORINVIRGIL »

I think you need to connect a 4k device to hdmi 2 and 3 to have this option enabled.Hdmi 1 is a special port.It doesn't feels the resolution of what is send to it like the others maybe is this the reason that is enabled by default.I am sure that if you connect a 4k device to port 2 and free you will have the option enabled.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

Ok and why when i have enabled or disabled the uhd at hdmi 1 and have opened the xbox one s then i disable the uhd doesn't show me picture at all untl i enable the uhd again?
Quadie5Ny

Post by Quadie5Ny »

Guys you have no idea what you are talking about. On Samsung TV's the UHD Color option enables 600MHz pixel clock rates on that port (aka HDMI 2.0). The Xbox doesn't display a picture because (by turning off UHD Color) you've disabled support for the resolution/refresh rate that it was using.

Plug whatever device you need 4K@60Hz with full chroma resolution into HDMI1 and the other devices into HDMI2 & 3.

Also there is no degradation in picture quality with UHD Color enabled. I blame Samsung for the confusion, they chose a really stupid name for that setting.
fits79

Post by fits79 »

So the other two hdmi ports aren't capable for uhd?

If i connect ps4pro at hdmi2 or hdmi3 port can i enable o disable the uhd option?

And what exactly do the uhd option?
Ins't an option for better colors like it is the hdr?
Quadie5Ny

Post by Quadie5Ny »

? HDMI1 maxes out at 60Hz RGB/4:4:4 8bpp or 60Hz 4:2:2 12bpp. - This means it can accept a 60Hz (60FPS) HDR signal.
? HDMI2/3 max out at 60Hz 4:2:0 8bpp or 30Hz 4:2:2 12bpp. - This means it can accept a 30Hz (30FPS) HDR signal.

But the above differences are only academic considering your TV doesn't have the proper hardware to display HDR (see below).
1) It doesn't support the larger DCI-P3 color gamut (it only does REC.709)
2) It doesn't come anywhere close to the peak 1000cd/m2 peak brightness for HDR10 (your model doesn't go above 250cd/m2)

The only thing your TV has is more pixels, otherwise it is exactly the same as a 1080p SDR TV. Run everything with HDR off, you won't be benefiting from having it enabled, hell it might even look worse when fed a HDR signal. If you want it to be bright, just turn the backlight all the way up.

Note: The above applies to all Samsung's budget UHD TV's. If you want half-HDR go higher up in the model range (ie. KU7000+) or if you want full HDR get one that says SUHD.
Quadie5Ny

Post by Quadie5Ny »

Some references, just so you know I am not flapping my mouth:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049150/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMovlvGGrg (Watch till the end of the video, they discuss the KU series and why HDR makes no sense on it.)

Return to “[K] General”