multi output audio

Here for general support for J series TVs, request and problem solve area.

Jaygee

multi output audio

Post by Jaygee »

I have a significant hearing disability. For many years I have used a signal from the 3.5 mm audio jack to a (Vivanco) transmitter box and had perfect sound through wireless headphones whilst the rest of the family listened to the TV speakers.
We moved home in January 2017, leaving the existing Samsung TV on the wall and purchasing a Samsung 49KU6400 from John Lewis. This does not have a 3.5 mm audio jack, but I was assured that Bluetooth headphones could be used. John Lewis suggested that I try a pair and if they were not satisfactory they could be returned and the cost refunded. Yes, they worked, but not with the TV speakers. Only one audio output is allowable with a choice of TV speakers or Bluetooth or Optical.
There is an option in: Settings -> Accessibility ->Multi output audio which supposedly allows TV speakers and Bluetooth to be used at the same time at different volumes, but this option is disabled.
Is it possible to enable this option?

Another disappointment is that whilst both satellite and terrestrial signals can be tuned, there is no easy way to switch from one to the other.

Otherwise this TV is excellent.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: multi output audio

Post by zoelechat »

Did you check if multi audio option was available when bluetooth is selected as main?
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
Jaygee

Re: multi output audio

Post by Jaygee »

My recollection was that the multi output audio option was not available when the Bluetooth headphones were connected. Having returned them to John Lewis I cannot now check.
Whilst all of the Bluetooth devices I have, tablet, mobile phone etc find the TV as a Bluetooth device [TV] Samsung 6 Series (49) the TV itself does not recognize any of those devices, perhaps not considering them to be audio devices.
Further checking, the TV had recognized and paired with:
1. Taotronics TT BA07. a device that streams audio from a 3.5mm socket probably used by a neighbour.
2. MDR-ZX220BT the Sony Bluetooth head phones that were returned to John Lewis.
The multi output audio option was not available, but this might have been because neither device was connected. How clever is this "Smart" TV and how dumb the Marketing guys who took out the 3.5mm socket?

The e-manual does include a statement that some advanced audio features are not available on some models in some geographic areas. Is multi output audio one of these?

My hearing disability is quite common. Surely someone has found a good cheap solution where the TV speaker output is not also available via a 3.5mm socket.
Can the software be hacked to allow simultaneous use of TV speakers and Bluetooth?
Alternatively, is there an inexpensive device that splits the optical output to speakers and headphones. The local Bang and Olufson store suggested a system costing £1100, but that perhaps included a TV.
Somewhere I have an amplifier with a 3.5mm socket and a pair of good speakers which might even have an optical input, but that is a very inelegant solution to an inexcusable problem.

Return to “[K] Support”