ExLink connection to Samsung T24E390

Forum for your Monitor questions instead of TVs

ath123

ExLink connection to Samsung T24E390

Post by ath123 »

Does anybody knows which is the Service Port for Samsung T24E390EW?
Is it the VGA, as my older T19B300, or probably is the one marked as "PC/DVI/Audio in"? There is no other port marked as Service/ExLink (only another one with 3.5mm input for headphones).

In addition to that I would like to know if there is any problem to use the serial port of my very old computer.Is there a problem with the voltage if I only use pins 2,3,5 (e.g. Rx,Tx,GND)?
In fact I already did that to communicate with my older B300, but although it was successfull the problem was that I got "garbage"(many characters like when you get when there is no correct Code Page) as output. No damage happened to the TV.
My old USB to TTL adapter(PL2303) seems to not function correctly. Obviously it is one of the fakes and although I managed to find a driver to correct the yellow question mark (error 10- a known problem for these chips) and although the Prolific Check Version utility finds it, when I use putty it starts immediately and continously to give random characters, even though I have connected nothing yet to the pins.
I have ordered a new USB to TTL adapter (with another chip of course/ more reliable as I read), but in the meantime I would like to try with my old computer.
ath123

Re: ExLink connection to Samsung T24E390

Post by ath123 »

After doing some more tests maybe nothing is wrong with my USB to TTL adapter (PL2303). That is why:

1. Connection to TV-Monitor B300. Everything works fine and I get the full booting process in putty.

2. Connection to TV-Monitor T24E390EW. Using the same self-made Exlink Cable and the same adapter, immediately after starting putty I am getting continous characters on the screen (although the tv is turned off). The same happens if I connect my USB adapter pins with 3 cables (at GND,TX,Rx) and nothing on the other end. If I only connect Rx with Tx (no cable at GND) I can type characters and see them in putty. Because of that behaviour I thought that it was a problem of my adapter, but as I said at (1) the procedure is successfull with B300.

Any idea why is this happening?
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Looks to be 2015 model, so it's likely that you need non-TTL serial:
https://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php?title= ... M/Q_Series
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
ath123

Post by ath123 »

Thank you for your answer, but there is no port marked as Ex-Link. There is only one 3.5mm jack besides the CI and is marked as "headphones" (it actually is not written as headphones but has the ICON of headphones). Could this be at the same time both ExLink & Headphones ? Is there a problem if it is not an Ex-Link and I try to use it as such (I mean danger of damaging it through Voltage levels etc)?

As I have a very old computer with a DB9 serial port I can easily try, after making the Ex-Link with the 3.5mm jack.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Possible exlink is hooked to vga. Then - only ttl 3.3v adapter is reqired.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
ath123

Post by ath123 »

juusso wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 am Possible exlink is hooked to vga. Then - only ttl 3.3v adapter is reqired.
Yes but as I already wrote, when trying to connect through VGA, I start getting several characters in putty even though the TV is turned off.
Using the same equipment for B300 (USB to TTL adapter & Ex-Link Cable for VGA) I get the full booting process when I turn on the TV.

Is it possible the VGA of T24E390 to have another pinout than that of B300 ?
Is it possible that T24E390 not to have an Ex-Link port at all?
Thank you for your help.
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

Could it be you have loose connection on your adapters vga side, bad soldering etc? When tv is off (standby or complete off), activity on terminal can be only caused by ttl adapter itself.

All models with exlink on vga port i ever know - all require usb to ttl adapter. I know only some models with stright connection of com port to dedicated exlink port. I mean if you think about to use old fashioned exlink cable on vga port, here is a big danger to burn something. As voltage levels differ: 3.3V vs 9 or 12V.

No idea about different vga exlink pinout. I think possible, but less believable.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
ath123

Post by ath123 »

The strange thing is that everything works fine if I connect my USB to TTl and my self-made VGA ex-link to TV B300. It does'nt matter how many times I try (connecting/disconnecting ,turning off/on) every time is successfull.

If I try the same thing in T24E390EW from the 1st moment I get continuous characters in putty. The more strange thing is that if after that I connect my USB to TTL adapter to my laptop USB port (bare of any cable) and start putty, it acts strangely again giving me continous characters, like something happened by the connection to 390EW. After a long waiting time the USB to TTL adapter starts to behave normally (self repair ?). So why is this happening to E390 and not B300? I guess I have to find it by myself.

Anyway as I have already ordered a new USB to TTL adapter, I will wait for it and try again. In the meantime I will make also a 2nd VGA ex-link, just to be sure. I will inform you about it when I have my new adapter (probably after some weeks).

Thank you for all your time.
ath123

Post by ath123 »

While waiting for my new USB to TTL adapter I decided to make a new VGA Ex-Link. I made it and I have the same experience : Success with B300 and failure with E390. So it has nothing to do with bad soldering.

At the same time I made another observation. When I connect the VGA part of the Ex-Link to B300 it immediately lights the led on GND (not as brightly as when it is connected to the USB port of laptop, but clearly enough - the TV is of course in the OFF position and the USB to TTL adapter not connected yet). When I connect it to E390 the same led has no light at all. Maybe this explains the different behaviour success/failure for B300/E390 respectively ? And Why is that ?
Last edited by ath123 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ath123

Post by ath123 »

Is anybody able to explain why I have "power" (I mean light at the led) at GND of my USB to TTL adapter from the first momment I connect my self-made VGA Ex-Link cable to the VGA port of my B300 TV? Regardless of if this is normal/abnormal it seems to "stabilize" the adapter and be the reason why I have a successfull serial connection (input & output).

Return to “Monitors”