[TDT] A test: Working X server!

Here are software that related with Samsung C series TVs, applications, programs that will run in your TV or computer...:!:This forum is NOT FOR USER QUESTIONS or Problems.

mamaich
Official SamyGO Developer

[TDT] A test: Working X server!

Post by mamaich »

Xfree86 server ported to Trident-based C5xx TV sets can be downloaded from here: http://www.multiupload.com/MNS91YKJUS
Installation: extract archive to the root of your USB flash disk, insert to TV and run runonce.sh on TV. This would make all necessary initializations.
To run X server - execute /mnt/bin/runx.sh. Don't forget to insert USB mouse, and to use low speed USB fix from dksoul if your mouse does not work.

Known bug: xterm is not working. To fix that edit run.sh and insert a line

Code: Select all

mount devpts /dev/pts -t devpts
before Xfbdev line.
Later this and low speed USB fixes would be included. And more programs would be added (maybe firefox, file manager, and network browser, and visual SamyGo settings editor).

Plans: integrate with my menu (called by HDMI button), emulate mouse/keyboard with remote control.
mamaich

Re: [TDT] A test: Working X server!

Post by mamaich »

mianfrar wrote:A simple question: If I'm not mistaken, T-TDT and T-MSX firmware are both for MIPS architecture. Trident and MStar are tuners, or what?
Trident and MStar provide a complete platform for TV sets. Including CPU and peripheral devices like audio, USB host and video overlay. They differ not only in TV tuner, they differ in everything, including the byte endianess. Trident is big endian while MStar is little endian. This is the first thing that stops TDT code from running on MStar. The second one - on TDT we have found IOCTLs to control video overlay behavior, so we can set different modes on TV. For example this X port uses 256-color mode as it is the fastest and does not have alpha-channel (which causes problems not only in X). While on MStar currently noone can change the overlay video mode, and even the way to do basic drawing on MStar screen was figured out only yesterday - http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:18540-62#1924
And my X port requires /dev/fb0 driver. I've managed to create it based on leaked samsung sources, while noone have made similar things for MStar.
dksoul

Post by dksoul »

mamaich wrote:Xfree86 server ported to Trident-based C5xx
Awesome work mamaich!!! Perhaps in a "not so distant future" we can turn our TVs into a (very limited) linux workstation :D
mianfrar wrote:While on MStar currently noone can change the overlay video mode, and even the way to do basic drawing on MStar screen was figured out only yesterday - http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:18540-62#1924
It seems very similar to TDT. It should be quite straight forwarding to adapt SDL (software rendering) to it!
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Post by erdem_ua »

Really good news mamaich.
Thank you for that hack.
It's really beautiful and make us very happy.
Now time to connect usb mouse and keyboard and little distro on it :)
I add you as a project member to put your hack to Download area by your self, also for updates.
You can also use samygo svn for sources...
Thanks again.

Return to “[C] Software”