The maximum size of an external hard drive connected to your

This forum is for information related with B series hardware instead of firmware/software.

erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Re: The maximum size of an external hard drive connected to your

Post by erdem_ua »

Himm.
Is there a any log messages? Check kernel messages at TV.
This might be a power problem. Does your HDD has external power source or it pulls energy from USB port?
marcelru
Official SamyGO Developer

Post by marcelru »

Hi all,

I just hooked up a 1TB WD mybook, formatted as ext3.
It gets mounted allright on /dtv/usb/sda1, but it is not recognized in the media menu. Only TV memory appears there.

Could be because of the ext3 filesystem, I don't know.
Power is not the issue here, the disk itself is connected to mains.

My FW is T-CHU7DEUC 2008.

marcelr
antapetr

Post by antapetr »

Hi,
I successfully use my 1,5TB Samsung STORY Station hard drive formated as NTFS. However it has separate power source.
And problem with ext3 file system is known - TV shows only fat and NTFS drives in sources menu, but automounts ext3 drives and they can be used when you connect to TV using telnet.

Happy LN46B650 owner
antapetr

Re: The maximum size of an external hard drive connected to

Post by antapetr »

Today I got new Hitachi XL Desk 3TB Drive (Hitachi Part Number 0S03092, UPC Code 705487186956, page on hitachi website). After connecting it to my ancient LN46B650 on console I got messages:

Code: Select all

usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci-s5h2x and address 2
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Hitachi   Model: HDS723030ALA640   Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
SCSI device sda: 732566645 4096-byte hdwr sectors (801570 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 28 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
usb-storage: device scan complete
FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda1.
NTFS-fs error (device sda1): parse_ntfs_boot_sector(): Volume size (2TiB) is too large for this architecture.  Maximum supported is 2TiB.  Sorry.
NTFS-fs error (device sda1): ntfs_fill_super(): Unsupported NTFS filesystem.
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sda1.
and disk stays not mounted. I will try to partition it with two primary partitions of 1.5TiB but it already incorectly identifies size of the disk and sector size so it could be that B series allows external disks not bigger than 2TiB :(

Not so happy LN46B650 owner
antapetr

Post by antapetr »

I shrinked first (and only) partition to 1500000 MiB. TV now can successfully mount this partition and show some movies from it but log is full of these messages:

attempt to access beyond end of device
sda: rw=0, want=2930256256, limit=1565565864
Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 366281968
and after attaching it to usb there is one new message:

SCSI device sda: 732566645 4096-byte hdwr sectors (801570 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 28 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
 sda: p1 exceeds device capacity
fdisk utility also shows device size as 801570 MB. ntfs utilities says that read's on partition fails and recommends do chdsk on windows.
Fresh linux kernel identifies the same amount of sectors (732566645) but identifies them as logical 4096 byte sectors, and not as hardware sectors.
I'm afraid that without changes to TV kernel modules ext2/ext3/fat on this disk also will not work because real hardware sector is 512-bytes but kernel/module calculates everything with 4096-byte sectors.
I will try to look at TV source code - maybe there is way to path this incorrect behavior.
antapetr

Post by antapetr »

Found essential places in kernel source :( Failing part is in sd driver compiled into TV kernel. Devices of 2TiB+ wasn't feature of linux kernel 2.6.12 (which is in TV). No way to fix this without back-porting this feature and recompiling kernel. I will not do this. I will buy Raspberry Pi, build cheap NAS server and mount this disk on TV with SamyGo Extensions (I hate sound of my regular PC fans when I watching movies).
Theoretically large (2TiB+) devices feature appears from 2.6.15 so later TV series possibly could handle huge devices but there is question if Samsung included this feature in their TV's kernel. I tested same disk with LG TV+monitor M2380D (which appeared at end of 2010) and TV did not recognize this disk but it is not rooted so I don't know exact causes.

Return to “[B] Hardware”