[How-To] Alternatives of Samsung WiFi Link Stick

This forum is for information related with B series hardware instead of firmware/software.

kwacka

Re: [How-To] Alternatives of Samsung WiFi Link Stick

Post by kwacka »

Bought a couple of Edimax EW-7718Un off eBay.UK and have spent several days trying to alter codes using Arch Linux, then installed Ubuntu but still no-go for me.

Downloaded an old version of Puppy Linux (4.30) and installed to USB stick using unetbootin (Mac/Linux/Windows). Booted computer from USB stick and had wifi recognised/connected & codes amended (immediately recognized iwpriv e2p command) within 3 minutes.

Puppy Linux 4.3 (107MB): ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... up-430.iso
Unetbootin (4.2MB): http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Gonzakpo

Post by Gonzakpo »

kwacka wrote:Bought a couple of Edimax EW-7718Un off eBay.UK and have spent several days trying to alter codes using Arch Linux, then installed Ubuntu but still no-go for me.

Downloaded an old version of Puppy Linux (4.30) and installed to USB stick using unetbootin (Mac/Linux/Windows). Booted computer from USB stick and had wifi recognised/connected & codes amended (immediately recognized iwpriv e2p command) within 3 minutes.

Puppy Linux 4.3 (107MB): ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... up-430.iso
Unetbootin (4.2MB): http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Yep, as lizaro said, there's a problem with the Ralink 2870 kernel module and the new Kernels (3.x). That's why the module is not compiling on newer distributions. If you have a Kernel 3.x distro, then the best advice is to use a Live CD/USB like you did. This should be added to the wiki I think.
nemox

Post by nemox »

Working perfect within 10 mins include iso downloading
Thanks a lot
UA46D6400
makabro

Post by makabro »

Hey guys! Is there anyway of doing this "hack" under Windows?
Gonzakpo

Post by Gonzakpo »

makabro wrote:Hey guys! Is there anyway of doing this "hack" under Windows?
Try using a virtual machine. VirtualBox is free!

But I can't guarantee it'll work. Nevertheless, the guy from this blog did it using one. But he didn't give instructions about that. You probably will need to configure your usb ports to be used on the virtual machine.

Other way would be to use a Live CD. You can try using the PuppyLinux posted above. I think this should be the most straightforward and easy solution.

PS: Remember this only works using distributions with kernel < 3.0. Don't use new versions because the instructions from the wiki wont work.
makabro

Post by makabro »

Hey Gonza, gracias por el dato! ;)

Anyway i'm on Puppy Linux right now, opened a terminal, type "iwpriv ra0 e2p 208=04E8" and get the message "ra0 no private ioctls." Any clue about what it means?

By the way my USB wireless adapter is not a Edimax EW-7718Un :S
Gonzakpo

Post by Gonzakpo »

makabro wrote:Hey Gonza, gracias por el dato! ;)

Anyway i'm on Puppy Linux right now, opened a terminal, type "iwpriv ra0 e2p 208=04E8" and get the message "ra0 no private ioctls." Any clue about what it means?

By the way my USB wireless adapter is not a Edimax EW-7718Un :S
Did you followed ALL the wiki instructions?

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Using_ ... es_with_TV

You have to follow every instruction from the "Compiling Custom Kernel Modules that supports e2p for Hardware Hack" section.

P.S: De nada ;)
tuspam

Post by tuspam »

Please help guys. I got problem whit EW-7718Un. In console i issue this commands:
# iwpriv ra0 e2p 208=04E8
# iwpriv ra0 e2p 20A=2018

After this I was unplug dongle and plug again, now my vid is 04E8 (frome samsung) but pid is old 7718 (frome edimax) and now Puppy don't recognize my dongle. After command # iwpriv ra0 e2p 20A=2018 I got this message "ra0 no private ioctls"

Please some noobish instructions .

Thx
juusso
SamyGO Moderator

Post by juusso »

As I have writen somewhere on the forum, I couldn't change the vid and pid of mine un7718. I mean all commands worked, but the vid and pid become strange and definitely not from samsung and also not edimax. I can't set back default values anymore and seems the procedure has good chance just for few first tries.

What I did to use this unrecognisable dongle under Linux (to furher change values of vid&pid), I recompiled driver from sources with included new "strange" vendor and product codes. After insmoding the driver and attaching the dongle it started to work again.

open ./common/rtusb_dev_id.c file, locate the following section:

Code: Select all

#ifdef RT2870
	{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x2770)}, /* Ralink */
	{USB_DEVICE(0x148F,0x2870)}, /* Ralink */
	{USB_DEVICE(0x07B8,0x2870)}, /* AboCom */
	{USB_DEVICE(0x050d,0x815c)}, /* Belkin F5D8053 */
	{USB_DEVICE(0x100D,0x9031)}, /* Motorola 2770 */
	{USB_DEVICE(0x0DB0,0x6899)},
#endif // RT2870 //
Add a new line (before the #endif // RT2870 // line) with your new values:

Code: Select all

{USB_DEVICE(0x04E8,0x7718)},
Recompile driver. Try change vid&pid according howto again.

BTW, just uploaded the pre-moded source for driver with ioctl enabled.

p.s. Another solution is to use dynamic USB device IDs.
LE40B653T5W,UE40D6750,UE65Q8C
Have questions? Read SamyGO Wiki, Search on forum first!
FFB (v0.8), FFB for CI+ . Get root on: C series, D series, E series, F series, H series. rooting K series, exeDSP/exeTV patches[C/D/E/F/H]

DO NOT EVER INSTALL FIRMWARE UPGRADE
tuspam

Post by tuspam »

Sorry, not working for me :( 0x04E8,0x7718 added to rtusb_dev_id.c reinstalled but linux still don't recognize my dongle, module rt2870sta is loaded.

Return to “[B] Hardware”