HDMI EDID hack to allow 5.1 passthrough

Ideas and dreaming will go this forum

vprasinos1

Re: HDMI EDID hack to allow 5.1 passthrough

Post by vprasinos1 »

I see that you are talking about the F series. I have a plasma D series D6900 and a raspberry p. I have tried what you say but instead of using a PC I use the raspberry. So what I have is:
Raspberry->HDMI->TV->Optical->Yamaha amp.

I have also enabled the audio passthrough from the openelec's (raspberry os) options with the config hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 which basically overrides the D6900 edid and enables support for all codecs.

What I get in the TV's audio menu (when the movie supports AC3 or DTS) is an option PCM and AC3 or DTS. But then the sound is NOT carried out to the amplifier. My amp is a Yamaha 5.1 older model with no HDMI in.

So basically the question is are you sure audio passthough with edid override is supported in the Samsung series C and above? Or am I doing something wrong? Are your instructions maybe for the B series?
And finally why should this work with the F series and a PC and not with the D series and raspberry? (hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 in the raspberry's config tells it to support all codecs including AC3 and DTS and up to 8 channels with up to very high bitrates)
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

vprasinos, I'm trying to do the same as you with an A-Series TV (40A856). I don't have any amplifier for now for testing but I'm interested with the yamaha ysp 1400 that does not support hdmi.

I think you can try this :
-enable external audio output in TV menu
-In XBMC system audio settings : check that ac3 and dts support are enabled
vprasinos1

Post by vprasinos1 »

Thanks marjero, I have already done both of your suggestions. As I described my case, after enabling AC3 and DTS in XBMC (and only then) I see the PCM and Dolby Digital selection in the TV's audio menu. That means the XBMC is sending AC3 encoded signal through the HDMI that the Samsung recognises and displays properly as an output option from the SPDIF.

However, the AC3 stream "stops" inside the TV. It is not carried out to the amp through the SPDIF optical link since the Yamaha stays silent and PCM is still lit on the amp's screen. That means the audio passthrough does not work.

I am wondering if someone else has actually managed to do this using a PC so that I understand whether this is a raspberry issue or a TV issue.
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Too bad. I don't have any receiver to test on my side. So I will choose to buy an hdmi one, don't want to play with that except if anyone wants to implement ac3 and dts passthrough on A-Series. :lol:

I did a funny test : 6 channels PCM set in XBMC (AC3 and DTS both disabled) . Guess what : surprise the TV outputs front left and front righ channels fine. I had no voice on TV, which is normal. So I guess TV could forward PCM including multichannel PCM as is. Worth to try this but I was told that spdif bandwidth is not able to transfer the multichannel PCM fine. It's a pitty !
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Ok did buy a yamaha ysp 1400 and connected it to the tv toslink output. No ac3 or dts passthrought... Maybe there is something wrong with Openelec because I think this should work with DSeries. At least for ac3.
vprasinos1

Post by vprasinos1 »

Funny stuff, I guess we'll have to wait for openelec's version of Gotham. I am curious however, has anyone done D series AC3 passthrough with their PC? Just checking why passthrough is unavailable using openelec.
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

No way : ac3 passthrought is not working with xbox too (A-Series). (I disabled EDID detect then selected dolby digital output in xbox but got no signal at the receiver)
Feuerbard

Post by Feuerbard »

i dont have passtrough AC3 from satellite tuner VU+ from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2 with ARC to onkyo receiver , internal player work on ARC ok with DTS or AC3
fumet

Post by fumet »

Hi all,

I have a Samsung UE40F6500 and can't get DTS OR DD5.1 pass through working from TVs HDMI in... to TVs optical output.

Zanfur, I have tried your approach of overriding the EDID on my HTPC and still no luck. I managed to get the TV "accepting" the DD5.1 OR DTS, because the audio options appeared in the TVs menu. But the audio got stuck in the TV and nothing came out to the Amp. I was wondering if you could post your EDID so I could load it into the EDID editor and see if something is set up differently to mine.

Spent hours/days on this so far. Please help!

Thanks, Fumet.
fumet

Post by fumet »

Zanfur?

Return to “[B] Brainstorm”