Any experience with raspberry PI (XBMC) ?

Information, questions and any other thing related with A series.

marcjero

Any experience with raspberry PI (XBMC) ?

Post by marcjero »

Hi all,

I just installed XBMC on a raspberry PI and hooked it on my A856. I have to say that this tiny thing just do what a smart TV customer would expect OOTB...
So goobye Wiselink. Almost video codecs arevery well supported, it's smooth. Moreover A856 support HDMI CEC so I can control the XBMC UI with the Samsung remote control.
Best money spend for a long time I guess. :D

Anyway I just need some ideas for managing the power supply for Raspberry. Currently I just power up the raspberry using the wiselink usb port. HDMI-CEC allows me to send a shutdown signal to devices automatically :
So The Raspberry just boots when TV is powered on and tries to shutdown when the TV is powered off. Very nice again but there is still a problem : the raspberry does need few seconds to process a clean shutdown and unfortunately the TV usb port is powering off too fast.

I wonder if there is a solution to change this behaviour ? I would like the usb port to be powered on about 10 seconds more when the TV is powered off. (In fact the TV isn't really off, it's just sleeping and the power led is still on during many seconds).

I don't thing the service menu allows a such tuning but maybe a firmware mod could help here ?
bugficks
Official SamyGO Developer

Re: Any experience with raspberry PI (XBMC) ?

Post by bugficks »

spend another 2eur/year and keep it on 24/7 ? :)
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Yes but you see it can be unplugged at any time as I'm not alone in the house :D
I just guess that it could be possible to add a sleep() in the TV shutdown script ?
bugficks

Post by bugficks »

which TV shutdown script? i dont know of any.
well just use an external power supply that should give rpi enough time to shutdown
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for.
tom_van

Post by tom_van »

Btw shutdown is controlled by exedsp, not standard linux way. Patch should be possible.
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Yes it would be interesting to catch the shutdown process.
For now I changed the mount options on the RPi (sync) so it can survive to power failure. No problem so far. So don't start hacking on this except you have other requests.

I think it can be usefull :
-to cleanly stop Samygo services
-to automatically trigger actions on TV stop like shutting down a file server
bugficks

Post by bugficks »

tom_van wrote:Btw shutdown is controlled by exedsp, not standard linux way. Patch should be possible.
afaik micom is used for reboot/shutdown
tom_van

Post by tom_van »

Yes of course, the final switch off signal goes from micom. I don't recommend to hack micom firmware, so the easier way is to hack exedsp, which sends commands to micom.
OK with you, bugficks?

And there is one way to delay switch off. Set in menu something like OTA firmware upgrade and tv will stay on for about 40 min. Little bit long for RPi shutdown ;)
marcjero

Post by marcjero »

Yes I tried to enable OTA after 45 minutes but usb powers off when TV goes to sleep.

Return to “A Series”