Samba on H?

Here for general support for H series TVs, request and problem solve area.

dusf
SamyGO Project Donor

Re: Samba on H?

Post by dusf »

Sorry, but I am not quite there yet!

I saw digital media server 1 in the Samsung Smart menu where it displays USB devices connected to the TV directly, but when I enter it displays folders for Video, Music, and Photos but not the folders I actually have on the hard drive. If I select the Video folder the only thing in there is the option to go back to the upper folder. If I select Photos it displays just all of the album art from my albums that are in individual folders on the hard drive in /Media/Audio/Music and screencap samples of some of the movies, where there must be pictures in /Media/Video/Movies/ and /Media/Video/TV Shows/ where most movies and all TV shows are in individual folders. If I change the filter for videos and select the Video folder it only displays 5 video files out of the hundreds on the drive, and when I try to play them it gives an error that the format is not supported, these are avi, x-matroska, and mp4 that normally work as far as I know. I can still browse the drive over samba from Ubuntu fine, including all media files.

Also, when I FTP to the TV and go into the /mnt dir it is completely empty.

Please advise.
UE32H5500 - firmware: 2130
UE32J
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

dusf wrote:Also, when I FTP to the TV and go into the /mnt dir it is completely empty.
You have given the answer yourself:
dusf wrote:Rooted UEH325500, no recording device required.
A recording device IS required in case of "empty /mnt syndrome" :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
dusf
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by dusf »

zoelechat wrote:
dusf wrote:Also, when I FTP to the TV and go into the /mnt dir it is completely empty.
You have given the answer yourself:
dusf wrote:Rooted UEH325500, no recording device required.
A recording device IS required in case of "empty /mnt syndrome" :)
Ahh balls! :(

Okay, so looking back at the routing method I used, and yes I am MST firmware by the way, I see the updated samyext4.zip that was no there when I routed about a week ago.

Before I start rooting from the beginning of that guide again, do I need to do a factory reset or something? Perhaps I can just copy and paste the new files from samyext4.zip to the SamyGO USB flash drive and replace any existing files when prompted during the copy?

The guide mentions nothing about any recording device, which I think I read here before is a webcam to help the Skype hack work. Is the recording device I need a webcam, when and how do I use it to stop empty /mnt syndrome occurring, and can it be any brand of webcam?
UE32J
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

dusf wrote:Perhaps I can just copy and paste the new files from samyext4.zip to the SamyGO USB flash drive and replace any existing files when prompted during the copy??
Yes, just unplug your rooting USB (while TV OFF!) and replace samyext4.img by the one from archive.
dusf wrote:The guide mentions nothing about any recording device, which I think I read here before is a webcam to help the Skype hack work. Is the recording device I need a webcam, when and how do I use it to stop empty /mnt syndrome occurring, and can it be any brand of webcam?
Really? I guess you have to expand spoiler(s) ;)
sectroyer wrote:
  • It seems that having both a recording device AND the rooting USB attached helps a lot.
    SpoilerShow
    sectroyer wrote:Shut down TV. Unplug usb with rooting data. Plug one of your Free usb disk. Start TV and once it loads hit REC :) . It will ask if it can format the disk. Format and record something then shutdown tv, attach SECOND usb (the one with rooting data), start TV :)
[/quote]
Errrhh... Webcam?? :)
dusf
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by dusf »

Okay, so I powered off the TV and put the new samyext4.img in the SamyGO folder while the TV was still off. I then left that root USB flash drive disconnected and connected a blank one. Once the TV was on and displaying a channel I pressed record, let the TV format the device, and then recorded a news channel for about 30s. I then turned off the TV, disconnected the USB flash drive that was recorded onto, and reconnceted the SamyGO rooting USB. I then connected to the TVs IP and went into the /mnt dir. It is still empty so I think it best I start the rooting process from the beginning afresh.

I am going to wipe the rooting USB flash drive and configure it again but what is the best way to prepare the TV to be re-rooted, is resetting the smart hub enough, or maybe perhaps a factory reset through the
[MENU] [MUTE] [POWER] service menu?
UE32J
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

dusf wrote:Okay, so I powered off the TV and put the new samyext4.img in the SamyGO folder while the TV was still off. I then left that root USB flash drive disconnected and connected a blank one. Once the TV was on and displaying a channel I pressed record, let the TV format the device, and then recorded a news channel for about 30s. I then turned off the TV, disconnected the USB flash drive that was recorded onto, and reconnceted the SamyGO rooting USB. I then connected to the TVs IP and went into the /mnt dir. It is still empty so I think it best I start the rooting process from the beginning afresh.

I am going to wipe the rooting USB flash drive and configure it again but what is the best way to prepare the TV to be re-rooted, is resetting the smart hub enough, or maybe perhaps a factory reset through the
[MENU] [MUTE] [POWER] service menu?
You did not follow procedure :)
-power off TV
-unplug root USB, plug another for recordings
-power on TV
-record something on new USB
-power off TV
-replug root USB, and KEEP BOTH ROOTING AND RECORDING USBs PLUGGED
-power on TV, /mnt shouldn't be empty anymore

It's mandatory to always have both USB plugged, no need to wipe anything for now
dusf
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by dusf »

It is definitely working now so thanks again! :)

I re-rooted before you replied, this time using the latest ext4 image, and leaving the recording USB plugged in this time.

I access the samba share through Smart Hub >> Multimedia >> File-CD Gadget and the media plays fine. I did not have to edit samba.init.

When I turn on the TV, not accessing samba, or even in smart hub, a prompt appears saying a new device connected File-CD Gadget has been detected and offering to open all, photos, videos, or music. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

Is there a better way to access the media, perhaps a different media player, maybe even one that can display metadata or media art for tv shows, movies, and music?
UE32J
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

dusf wrote:When I turn on the TV, not accessing samba, or even in smart hub, a prompt appears saying a new device connected File-CD Gadget has been detected and offering to open all, photos, videos, or music. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?
Not on H, at least not for now.
dusf wrote:Is there a better way to access the media, perhaps a different media player, maybe even one that can display metadata or media art for tv shows, movies, and music?
Surely over DLNA using a media server app such as Plex or other, but I assume not through Samba shares since TV is not intended to support smb (I mean: it's just seen as an usb, so if you find an app for "more advanced than built-in" handling of media on usb, maybe, but not sure that exists (?) :) )
dusf
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by dusf »

zoelechat wrote:
dusf wrote:When I turn on the TV, not accessing samba, or even in smart hub, a prompt appears saying a new device connected File-CD Gadget has been detected and offering to open all, photos, videos, or music. Is there anyway to stop this from happening?
Not on H, at least not for now.
dusf wrote:Is there a better way to access the media, perhaps a different media player, maybe even one that can display metadata or media art for tv shows, movies, and music?
Surely over DLNA using a media server app such as Plex or other, but I assume not through Samba shares since TV is not intended to support smb (I mean: it's just seen as an usb, so if you find an app for "more advanced than built-in" handling of media on usb, maybe, but not sure that exists (?) :) )
Thanks. No problem, I am really, really happy that SamyGO has allowed me to access NAS for media from the TV and if a better media player or more SamyGO features come along at some point I will consider that a bonus :)

Is there a mailing list or a thread somewhere where all future feature releases for H series will be announced, should they occur?
UE32J
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

dusf wrote:Is there a mailing list or a thread somewhere where all future feature releases for H series will be announced, should they occur?
No schedule, everything occur day by day. Just follow forum to be aware :)

Return to “[H] Support”