D5700 - Will there ever be Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough?

Here for general support for D series TVs, request and problem solve area.

congoelmex

D5700 - Will there ever be Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough?

Post by congoelmex »

Hi!

Just wanted to ask if there ever will be a possibility for Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough from HDMI to the optical output on the D5700 model?
Is it just not possible because of restrictions in the Hardware?
Can't the methods and libraries for the E models be ported (since they run on MSTAR as well)?
Or is just nobody working on it?

Unfortunately i lack the needed coding skills to look at this myself, so it would be nice to get some enlightment on this topic - even if it's just that we can stop looking around for a solution... ;)

cheers! ;)
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: D5700 - Will there ever be Dolby Digital / DTS passthrough?

Post by zoelechat »

Possibly (almost) only a matter of compiler. Just try and tell, who knows :)
Use D-mips samyGOso and check E usage of other thread.
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
congoelmex

Post by congoelmex »

Thanks a lot!

I played with the .so and the results are quite erratic...I'm testing this with my UE32D5700 running FW version 1027 and my FireTV as well as Kodi installed on a Raspberry Pi and the FireTV as well...the TV has an optical connection to my soundbar.

Both, the Raspberry Pi and the FireTV are configured to output all formats over HDMI, so the EDID stuff is dealt with...

I'm orienting myself after the usage on E/F/H (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=8748).

Well. First try was with (samyGOso version 1.2.4):

Code: Select all

samyGOso -d -r -A -B -l /mnt/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
which produced no output whatsoever...After that I tried the different options (AUTO, PCM, DTS) in variuos combinations but to no avail.
When I speciefied the DTS option, the TV would crash and reboot as soon as I entered the sound menu where you specify the spdif output.

after some reboots I passed just the AUTO option and all of a sudden it worked and the audio was transferred to my soundbar!
But after I prepared everything in "../etc/init.d/99_90_HDMIpassthru.init" and rebooted, it was quiet again.

Some hours and multiple factory resets and firmware down- and upgrades later i'm back at FW version 1027.

Now it's kind of working...but not really usable:
If I execute the above command and inject the .so, as soon as I enter the sound menu to look after the spdif-option the TV freezes and reboots - no matter which option I pass via samyGOso (AUTO, PCM, DTS).
When I try to change from TV mode to one the HDMI-Ports, the TV freezes (and reboots) as soon as I'm over one of the HDMI entries in the sources menu.

When I change to the HDMI port with my FireTV connected first and execute the above code afterwards, sound is playing through my soundbar! ...BUT... ;)

...when I go in the sound menu of the TV or try to change the source back from HDMI to TV, the TV freezes and reboots again.

so much for my findings...

I tried different approaches with the various options of libHDMIpassthru.so as well as the parameters of samyGOso (e.g. "-n exeDSP -d -r -l...") but I couldn't find a pattern in all this...most of the time it just didn't work.. :(

What's nice to see is that it seems possible to have that passthrough. But at the moment it's not suitable for using.

...maybe it's something with the injection? wrong entry point or something like that? ...I tried to understand the source-code to libHDMIpassthrough but soon had to realize that my skills are just not sufficient

excuse the long post but I thought it would be good, to give an overview of what I tried so far...

So, if anyone has any idea how to get this working? ...that would be amazing... ;)

cheers!

PS: ...and why is the logging not working? I scanned through "util.h" which defines a logfile under "/dtv/libHDMIpassthru.log" but no such file is created...

PPS: also: no matter what I give samyGOso to load, it always says "library injection completed! Succeeded." even if I try to load something like:

samyGOso -n exeDSP -d -r -l /mtd_rwdata/widgets/user/SamyGO/SamyGO/opt/privateer/usr/libso/this_doesnt_exist.so
that's weird... ;)
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

log should be /dtv/HDMIpassthru.log, please paste it if there.
You're using latest samyGOso from there: https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8611 right? Your latest example (succeeded blah) tends to tell no.
Correct syntax is:

samyGOso -D -r -l /mtd_rwdata/widgets/user/SamyGO/SamyGO/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
I only checked the most important part for passthrough, otherwise I compiled blindly, it's possible some functions are missing (hence crashes and log need) or simply some code (I'm not willing to port "correctly") not suitable to D-mips.

Know that you still can use it in a "safe" way by injecting lib non-resident (just omit -r from command line above), then you'll get ONLY AC3 passthru (only that part will be effective, no DTS and no other feature), but better than nothing and all media players are transcoding capable nowadays :)
congoelmex

Post by congoelmex »

wow, you're fast! ;)

don't get me wrong: I didn't mean especially you to solve the problem! It's already great that you take the time providing the compiled version and trying to help me the way you are! :)

back to business...yes, I was indeed using the samyGOso version (1.2.4) from https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8611 but no log was created and no error message is given if i try to load a non-existant .so ...anyway I downloaded it again and now a logfile is created:

With:

./samyGOso -D -r -l /mtd_rwdata/widgets/user/SamyGO/SamyGO/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so
:

[HDMIpassthru] SamyGO D-mips libHDMIpassthru v0.1.2 - (c) zoelechat 2016
[HDMIpassthru] g_pAppSpeaker [0x670bfb4].
[HDMIpassthru] _Z26SdMisc_SetHDMI_AC3_Supporti [0x2d07c584].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCChannelC2Ev [0x197ae40].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow12GetTVChannelEP9TCChanneli [0x19085c8].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow10SetChannelEPK9TCChannelii [0x190876c].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCSpeaker18SetExternalOutModeEii [0x18ee600].
[HDMIpassthru] *Patched HDMI passthrough support
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow9SetSourceEii [0x1908468].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCSpeaker20CheckExternalOutModeEi [0x18ee7e8].
[HDMIpassthru] init done...
And with:

./samyGOso -D -l /mtd_rwdata/widgets/user/SamyGO/SamyGO/opt/privateer/usr/libso/libHDMIpassthru.so

[HDMIpassthru] SamyGO D-mips libHDMIpassthru v0.1.2 - (c) zoelechat 2016
[HDMIpassthru] g_pAppSpeaker [0x670bfb4].
[HDMIpassthru] _Z26SdMisc_SetHDMI_AC3_Supporti [0x2d07c584].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCChannelC2Ev [0x197ae40].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow12GetTVChannelEP9TCChanneli [0x19085c8].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow10SetChannelEPK9TCChannelii [0x190876c].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCSpeaker18SetExternalOutModeEii [0x18ee600].
[HDMIpassthru] *Patched HDMI passthrough support
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN8TCWindow9SetSourceEii [0x1908468].
[HDMIpassthru] _ZN9TCSpeaker20CheckExternalOutModeEi [0x18ee7e8].
[HDMIpassthru] init done...
[HDMIpassthru] <<< lib_deinit
it doesn't matter which command i send: as soon as I go into the sound menu or try to change the source (HDMI, TV, etc...) it crashes and reboots..

@samyGOso: I still can give samyGOso anything to "load" - it still responds with "succeeded"...so the check if the file exists doesn't seem to work...at least on my side...
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

congoelmex wrote:wow, you're fast! ;)
Moderator is fast :ugeek:
congoelmex wrote:don't get me wrong: I didn't mean especially you to solve the problem! It's already great that you take the time providing the compiled version and trying to help me the way you are! :)
You can't imagine which considerable effort it requires from me to already half support MIPS :P
congoelmex wrote:back to business...yes, I was indeed using the samyGOso version (1.2.4) from https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8611 but no log was created and no error message is given if i try to load a non-existant .so
Well, I thought it was fixed in 1.2.4, maybe not in MIPS version (no idea)...
congoelmex wrote:[...]
it doesn't matter which command i send: as soon as I go into the sound menu or try to change the source (HDMI, TV, etc...) it crashes and reboots..
Both logs look alright. You're aware that you must inject lib only once a boot, right? Otherwise mandatory crash :) (e.g. if you sequentially executed both commands you given logs without reboot between them, or if lib was already injected through startup script, crash is expected).
I'm surprised non-resident "version" cause crash as well, but if confirmed I'm afraid it's simply not possible to get something stable, since the remaining running code in such case can't be more minimal:

SdMisc_SetHDMI_AC3_Support(1);
congoelmex

Post by congoelmex »

...just rechecked and tried both variants with a reboot in between but still crashing...strange thing is: it reliably crashes now every time...when it first worked some hours ago until some point it looked stable...

and indeed: not much code left... ;)
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Yeah, funny it worked once!? Maybe the problem is elsewhere :)
congoelmex

Post by congoelmex »

that came to my mind... ;)
well, for now i'm going to watch some movie and inject the patch after switching to the HDMI source...as long as I don't try to change the source or the spdif outut format everything is running smoothly with Dolby Digital...
not very convenient but that's a nerds life I guess... :geek:
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Just in case some unused code is interfering somewhere, here is minimal version where I left only "THE code line". Worth the try but no promise :)
Inject non-resident.

<Attachment moved here>

Return to “[D] Support”