Microm files

General forum talking area for R/QR series TVs.

locarno

Microm files

Post by locarno »

How to upgrade sub-micom to latest version?
xxkryptos

Re: Microm files

Post by xxkryptos »

Sorry, I probably can't be of help if you're looking to do this through some traditional user friendly update.

I picked up a spare mainboard for my R series TV to do some experimenting on. I've got a tool that allows me to dump SPI flash in-circuit. Thought I was going to find a UEFI image or something, but I actually found something else. I have no clue what it is that I dumped (2 different chips), but I'm beginning to think it might be Micom firmware. I can't verify this because.... I have no clue what Micom is. What purpose does it serve? Why do you want to update it?

With a traditional BIOS or UEFI firmware, I'd expect there to be something at the very end of the file. The firmware image would get mapped into high memory (just under 4GB) on an x86 processor, walk balk 16 bytes, and begin execution from there. These dumps have nothing at the end of the file. Which makes me ask where the real firmware is hiding, because it's clearly not on the SPI flash. I digress. Hopefully you or someone on this board can enlighten me as to what Micom firmware is. DM me if you're interested in hearing about those dumps.

Return to “[R/QR] General”