Sideloading apps through USB on Tizen

This is general talk area for things that NOT RELATED WITH TV! Instead, about internal works like web site, forum, wiki, or talking, etc...

TOMillr
SamyGO Project Donor

Sideloading apps through USB on Tizen

Post by TOMillr »

On my old pre-Tizen Samsung TVs I was able to simply side load apps from other regions but copying them on to a USB flash drive and hook it up to the TV. I is my understanding, that this is no longer possible on newer Tizen TVs.

However, I've just seen that the folks over at Plex provide beta version of their app to download and side load on Tizen TVs:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-tv-uno-pr ... uhd/422621

You basically download the app, unzip the file and put the app in a folder called userwidget on a USB stick. You just plug the USB stick into the TV and you can run the app from the USB stick.

How is this possible? Wouldn't it be possible to do this with other apps as well?!
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Re: Sideloading apps through USB on Tizen

Post by zoelechat »

I guess Plex is signed/approved by Samsung or whatever allows it to *still* be sideloaded by USB (did you try? Sounds outdated to me...)
Anyway, usage of Tizen Studio to install widgets is quite easy, you don't even need to stand up and plug USB ;)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.
TOMillr
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by TOMillr »

Strange, I did try the Plex app that I've linked to above just the other day. And it's the newest beta that was just released last month.

Tizen Studio sounds interesting. However, how would I get my hands on some of those official apps I'd like to side load?

For example, I'd like to set my region to the UK but still use a couple of international apps like Hulu or Zattoo. Can you just backup those apps from a routed Tizen TV and side load them to any other Tizen-based TV.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Well I guess it would first need to decrypt widget, find relevant files here and there with correct paths, rebuild and re-sign widget into Tizen Studio, upload and pray for it to work :D
Otherly said I don't know any way (which doesn't mean it's not possible...), and afaik apps installed from store are not under shape of .wgt file like sideload-able ones, but some kind of (SquashFS) image (.tmg)
TOMillr
SamyGO Project Donor

Post by TOMillr »

So you can't just browse the file structure of a rooted Tizen TV over FTP and make a copy of the relevant app folder?
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Sure you still can copy app folder, and inside you'll find an image containing encrypted files not usable on another TV nor anywhere else.

Return to “General”