Evolution Kit problem

General Forum for talking area for E series TVs.

tman

Evolution Kit problem

Post by tman »

Apologies for asking a question like this on the board. It's only because I see there are a lot of TV guru's around here, and I'd like some advice if possible.

I have a UK PS51E8000. I recently bought a SEK-1000/XC Evo Kit to upgrade it. I followed all the instructions, but have a problem with the EK I'm a bit stuck on. My TV had the 2009 firmware, which is still the latest OTA available, but Samsung's site has 2014.2 listed as the latest. In preparation (as you're told to do), I upgraded the TV firmware using USB to 2014.2. This worked fine.

I then attached the Evo Kit. This is detected ok, and starts the initialization phase. It gets to 100%, then starts to look for firmware, but just says 'firmware cannot be found'. I use wired LAN on the TV, and attached the LAN cable to the EK adapter as instructed, but I see no link whatsoever on my switch from the EK LAN port. I switch back to the TV LAN, and it works ok. I downloaded the latest official EK firmware (1011), created the USB key, inserted it into the TV, and went through the process again. I get to 100%, the TV scans the USB stick, but then reports 'firmware cannot be found'!

So, I'm a bit stuck. As the EK is detected ok, I don't think it's faulty. I even tried enabling wireless on the TV, but with the EK attached, this doesn't seem to work (maybe not until the EK is full activated anyway). Manually scanning for new firmware on the TV menu reports nothing available. After the failed firmware check phase, the TV works fine, just with the standard (non-EK) firmware.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be. I've read about others having the exact same problem, but can't find a solution.
tman

Re: Evolution Kit problem

Post by tman »

Actually, if you look on Samsungs UK site, the latest EK firmware shows as 1009.4 (July 2014), but if you look at the info.txt in both extracted firmware image folders, it shows as 1011. Not sure what's going on there.
tman

Post by tman »

I'm curious. Is there any correlation between the TV and EK firmwares? There was a 2009 EK firmware (and TV), a 2011 EK firmware (and TV), but now there's a 2014 TV firmware, but no EK 2014 version (yet). Could I have jumped too far ahead by flashing the TV to a version not yet supported by the EK? Just my thinking to try and resolve this problem. I guess a TV firmware downgrade is an option. Is it easy on this set?
tman

Post by tman »

As there doesn't seem to be anyone who can help, can someone direct me to the 0000 firmware for the PS*E8000 plasma's. If I can downgrade the firmware, I'm just hoping that the EK upgrade will kick in.

I would *really* appreciate some response if possible.
zoelechat
SamyGO Moderator

Post by zoelechat »

Plasma and LED E8000 fw should be the same (T-ECPDEUC) so here's 0000: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7544
If you respected procedure with no success, maybe you should directly ask Samsung support. Evokits are not well known here, and often not recommended, mostly because they're too marginal to be worth hacking them seriously :)
I do NOT receive any PM. Please use forum.

Return to “[E] General”