EXT3 partitions support

Here are software that related with Samsung B series TVs. Like hex editors, new version of BusyBox or internal software, app programs that will run in your TV hardware.:!:This forum is NOT FOR USER QUESTIONS or Problems.

sorcerer1
Official SamyGO Developer

EXT3 partitions support

Post by sorcerer1 »

If you want your TV to mount and play media files from EXT3 partitions as well as from FAT or NTFS, you should just modify /mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount program. This program updates /dtv/usb/log file that is continuously read by exeDSP.

It is not a firmware modification.

1. Modify your copy of usb_mount:
1.1. Copy usb_mount to your flash drive: cp /mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount /dtv/usb/sda1/
1.2. Open usb_mount file with your hexeditor and replace string "FileSystem : %s\0\0" with "FileSystem : vfat".
NOTE: The new string is longer than the original one,but don't shift remained code, just overwrite zero bytes with 'a' and 't' letters
OR
just download the modified file attached and put it to your flash drive (not all the TVs supported though).

2. mount usb_mount folder with changed usb_mount utility:
2.1. Make a copy of all the files in /mtd_boot/usb_mount folder: cp -R /mtd_boot/usb_mount /mtd_rwarea/
2.2. Replace usb_mount binary with modified one: cp /dtv/usb/sda1/usb_mount /mtd_rwarea/usb_mount/
2.3. Mount! (you can insert this command to your startup script after testing): mount /mtd_rwarea/usb_mount /mtd_boot/usb_mount
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erdem_ua
SamyGO Admin

Re: EXT3 partitions support

Post by erdem_ua »

I thought that exeDSP cannot detect media at EXT3 partitions on USB drives. If it's possible, than also raiserfs, xfs, JFFS... partitions are possible on TV too. This removes FAT32's 4GB barrier and NTFS writing problem too. It's good to plug small SSD/HDD to TV to create TV/Media-Nas device :)
I have also questions about this. If we add this module to "Extensions Pack", than it cannot read ext3 formated USB devices that has Extensions... It needed to be installed into TV.
WiFi extensions are at the other hand, needed to insert into kernel. I needed to design an installation and autorun program for each bot.... I think merging with "Advanced Mode" of SamyGO Firmware Patcher could enable this. :)
Thanks.
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

exeDSP don't detect medias. Instead, it continuously read media information from /dtv/usb/log . Unmodified usb_mount program writes type of filesystems to that file (ext3, ntfs or vfat). exeDSP just don't want to play files from directories marked as 'ext3'. Unfortunatelly, our TV can automount only vfat, ntfs and ext3. Even ext2 is unsupported.

I think usb_mount should be totally rewrited to allow mount all the medias. Current usb_mount algorithm, as I understand:
1. Walk through /sys/block/sd* devices
2. For each device, extract media info from /sys/block/sd*/device/vendor, /sys/block/sd*/device/model, /sys/block/sd*/device/serial, /sys/block/sd*/device/usbdevpath, /sys/block/sd*/device/logicalnumber.
3. For each device, try to call mount utility with vfat, ntfs and ext3 types (in this order), if not already mounted
3. On success, add a record to /dtv/usb/log

So, we can write our own usb_mount script (even not a C program) that will do the same things and even more such as preventing some devices from deletion (don't "unmount" nfs connections when plugging or unplugging USB for example) and detection of other medias.
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

I've done rewriting the usb_mount (in C though).

usb_mount, usb_cmd and maybe some other programs use IPC to share information about mounted devices. exeDSP permanently read /dtv/usb/log (it is not the shared info!) and adds or removes devices from user menu. /mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount is the only program which updates /dtv/usb/log.

I attached two utilites:
1. mount_store. If you want to mount/umount something by yourself (NFS or SMB shares for example), don't write anything to /dtv/usb/log file. Instead, you should put your information to the shared memory and run usb_mount utility. Use mount_store to make permanent records to /dtv/usb/log. For example,

Code: Select all

# ./mount_store -c store -d sdh -p 1
# /mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount
will make a permanent record with /dtv/usb/sdh1 mountpoint. You now can insert or eject any USB device, the TV will always see your virtual device.

2. usb_mount. The original usb_mount can only mount vfat, ntfs and ext3 partitions. My version can mount anything you want. You should just put your filesystem's mount hints to /mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount.conf file. Basic configuration is:

#fs <fstype> <mountoptions>

fs vfat sync,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed
fs ntfs sync,nls=utf8
fs ext3 sync
To mount other filesystems, you should add records for them. Make sure that those filesystems are supported by the kernel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sorcerer1 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

I have compiled kernel modules for ext2, reiserfs and xfs filesystems. How can I upload them (~3Mb)?
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

My samygo startup script:

#!/bin/sh

# telnetd
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
telnetd

mount /mtd_rwarea/samygo/usb_mount /mtd_boot/usb_mount

sleep 15

mkdir -p /dtv/usb/sdd4/video
mount -o nolock 10.0.10.1:/video /dtv/usb/sdd4/video -t nfs
mkdir -p /dtv/usb/sdd4/music
mount -o nolock 10.0.10.1:/music /dtv/usb/sdd4/music -t nfs

/mtd_rwarea/samygo/mount_store -c store -d sdd -p 4 -v Linux -r "Shares" -s Q80VQLFL -a 4 -l 0
/mtd_boot/usb_mount/usb_mount

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dtv/vusb bs=512 count=4
insmod /mtd_rwarea/dummy_hcd.ko
sleep 2
insmod /mtd_rwarea/g_file_storage.ko
gchirtoaca

Post by gchirtoaca »

Hi,

I'm very interested to make it possible to use ext2 or ext3 formated USB hard drive with my LE37B653T5P.
Where can I find the ext2 module?
Did I understand correctly that ext3 is mounted but cannot be used for playing media files and ext2 is not supported at all by original firmware?

Thank you.
Samsung LE37B653T5PXZG, T-CHLCIPDEUC 2008.2 firmware, Advanced Mode Patch
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

gchirtoaca wrote:Did I understand correctly that ext3 is mounted but cannot be used for playing media files and ext2 is not supported at all by original firmware?
Yes, that is true.
gchirtoaca wrote:I'm very interested to make it possible to use ext2 or ext3 formated USB hard drive with my LE37B653T5P.
I'll attach it soon.
arris69

Post by arris69 »

gchirtoaca wrote:Hi,

I'm very interested to make it possible to use ext2 or ext3 formated USB hard drive with my LE37B653T5P.
Did I understand correctly that ext3 is mounted but cannot be used for playing media files and ext2 is not supported at all by original firmware?

Thank you.
ext3 will be mounted also automatic by tv.
you just need to write to /dtv/usb/log that the partition is mounted as vfat
like:

echo -e "[sdb]\nVendor : SAMSUNG\nProduct : HAN0911\nSerial : None\nDevpath : 1\nLun : 0\nMountDir : /dtv/usb/sdb1\nFileSystem : vfat\n">/dtv/usb/log
hth
arris
sorcerer1

Post by sorcerer1 »

arris69 wrote:ext3 will be mounted also automatic by tv.
you just need to write to /dtv/usb/log that the partition is mounted as vfat
TV (usb_mount utility) already write to this file for ext3 devices, with "ext3" fs type.

Return to “[B] Software”